Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Recruiting

13982188-standard.jpg

Jake Pickard Remains a Wisconsin Commit But Wants to Visit Syracuse (PS; Mink)

Syracuse, a school which piqued Pickard's interest earlier in the recruiting process, immediately reached out and now finds itself in a favorable position to potentially flip the three-star defensive end.
It won't immediately happen. The Millburn, N.J. native said Thursday evening he will remain committed to Wisconsin through the Badgers' coaching search. Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez said this week he hopes to have a new coach in place by Jan. 1.

Pickard said Thursday he wants to take an official visit to Syracuse, though no date has been formally set.

He met with tight ends coach Bobby Acosta at his high school earlier Thursday and was set to meet with Acosta and defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough at his home Thursday night.

"He was just saying the direction Syracuse is going is very, very well, and he looks at me as a guy who kind of needs to play his freshman year and contribute to the team," Pickard said, recounting the earlier meeting with Acosta.

ACC News

16543231-mmmain.jpg

VT DC Bud Foster is the Highest Paid Assistant Coach in the ACC

How Much Are ACC Football Assistant Coaches Making in 2014? (PS; Bailey)

Clemson is spending the most for its nine-person assistant coaching staff among teams in the database with offensive coordinator Chad Morris ($1.3 million) and defensive coordinator Brent Venables ($875,000) rankings in the top-11 nationally. Morris could also earn $120,417 in bonuses.

North Carolina is spending the least with none if its assistants making more than $250,000.

Here's a look at the full breakdown. The average ACC assistant coach payroll among the eight programs comes out to $3,066,121.50.

ACC assistant coach payroll
No.TeamTotal

1Clemson$4,448,225
2Virginia Tech$3,583,250
3Florida State$3,386,000
4Louisville$3,225,000
5Virginia$2,908,670
6N.C. State$2,692,560
7Georgia Tech$2,233,600
8North Carolina$2,051,667

Other

-de79122e09250c7b.JPG

Meet the 2014 All-Central NY Football Team (Small Schools, Video)

Meet the 2014 All-Central New York football team made up of athletes from small schools (Class B, C and D). The team was selected by a panel of Section III coaches and staff at syracuse.com and The Post-Standard.

Each player came to the Syracuse Media Group building in downtown Syracuse to get their photograph taken, shoot a quick video and answer a few questions.

We selected a large-school team (Class AA and A) and a small-school team (Class B, C, D). Each will have a player of the year, and we have named a CNY Mr. Football.

Coming Friday: All-CNY (large schools)

Coming Sunday: Mr. Football

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Alec Bush

Homer

Year: Senior

Position: Tail back

What's next: College.

Season stats: 2,418 yards, 32 touchdowns, 192 total points

Top accomplishment: Becoming back to back League Champions and winning the Sectional title over long time rival Cazenovia.

My go-to junk food: Muddy buddies

Meet the 2014 All-Central New York Football Team (large schools, video)

-b50f8afea87335f6.JPG

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Savon Smith

Henninger

Year: Senior

Position: Defensive tackle

What's next: I cheer lead in the off-season. Now I'm in the weight room, getting faster and stronger for college football - working on my abs (LOL)

Season stats: 60 tackles (27 for a loss), 9 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 punt block, 9 QB pressures.

Top accomplishment: Making All-CNY Player of the Year; my success with college football recruiting so far; and bringing Henninger football back and sending our seniors off with a huge season.

My go-to junk food: Chinese food (hands down); and Sheena Soloman of the Gifford Foundation's macaroni and cheese.

Funniest moment of the season: When we would play around after practice in the locker room.

The artist or song I'll never admit is on my phone: Rihanna - Whats My Name

Least favorite place to compete: It was C-NS because of the old astro turf, but now it would have to be any non-turf field.

SU football indoor practice facility due to open in early January (PS)

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The installation of 21 smoke detectors is all that stands in the way of opening Syracuse University's new $13 million indoor practice facility near Manley Field House, which is expected to be ready for use the first week of January.

Paul Driscoll, commissioner of neighborhood and business development, said Syracuse code inspectors plan to issue a temporary certificate of occupancy for the facility as soon as builders install 21 smoke detectors that were not part of the original building plans...