Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

passthru_imagecredit_gross1_web.jpg

'Game Changer': Dr Gross Provides Sneak Peek at New Indoor Facility (cuse.com)

Syracuse University Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross provides a sneak peek at the new indoor athletic facility and speaks with Matt Park about what it means for Orange sports, and in particular the football program, in this Cuse TV exclusive. Click the play button on the photo above to watch.

Be sure to check back to Cuse.com for more news as the official opening of the facility nears, including an online exclusive video tour.

Former Players

AR-141217150.jpg&MaxW=650

It's The Return Season for Patriots' Jones (heraldnews.com; Farley)

After missing six games due to a hip injury, end Chandler Jones returned to the Patriots in a major way Sunday. Jones' contributions to the team's 41-13 AFC East division-clinching win over Miami included seven tackles, 1.5 sacks and one forced fumble.

The announcement was unnecessary. As Chandler Jones met the press following the Patriots’ 41-13 AFC East division-clinching win over the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium on Sunday afternoon, fellow defensive end Rob Ninkovich passed by his teammate’s locker and playfully proclaimed, “The sack man is back: Chandler Jones.”Truth be told, with seven tackles, 1.5 sacks, one forced fumble and two quarterback hits earlier in the day, the third-year player had already announced his return from the hip injury that had sidelined him for six games.

“I feel great,” said Jones. “The coaches did a good job of mixing me up and switching in and out with different guys. It felt good just to be back out there with my teammates.”

The feeling was reciprocal.

“It was fun to see,” Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork said. “I knew he was feeling good all week and (Sunday) he came out and showed me.

Other

16580992-mmmain.jpg

Map of Syracuse Shows Where Natural Gas is Leaking From National Grid Pipes (PS; Knauss)

Researchers using methane-sniffing equipment mounted on cars this year discovered more than 200 locations in the city of Syracuse where natural gas is leaking from old utility pipes, contributing to greenhouse gas pollution.

A map of Syracuse methane emissions has been published today by the advocacy group Environmental Defense Fund, which partnered with utility company National Grid to study the leaks.

The leaks detected in Syracuse are not immediate safety hazards, but are low-level leaks that allow methane -- which is 80 times more potent than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas -- to reach the atmosphere, said Susan Fleck, vice president of pipeline safety for National Grid.

I'm sure they measured this, but it doesn't look like a lot of room after the end zone from that camera view. I had a vision of a WR catching a pass on the run at the back of the end zone and doing a Matt Foley through that glass door.

I'm sure they measured this, but it doesn't look like a lot of room after the end zone from that camera view. I had a vision of a WR catching a pass on the run at the back of the end zone and doing a Matt Foley through that glass door.

Don't worry they will get caught up in the netting before they reach the doors... I assume there has to be netting installed or else those glass doors won't last more than a couple of lax practices.

Daryl Gross recounts first Syracuse football coaching search, including a call from Bo Pelini (PS: Mink)

Syracuse, N.Y. — The 10-year anniversary of Daryl Gross's hiring served as a backdrop Wednesday night as he described a whirlwind first few weeks as Syracuse athletic director, including the decision to fire former coach Paul Pasqualoni and a phone call with Bo Pelini about the coaching vacancy.

During his radio show Wednesday night, Gross recalled a conversation with former Chancellor Nancy Cantor at the 2004 Champs Sports Bowl in which Cantor asked him for his opinion on Pasqualoni and the direction of the program...