Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

012815_N_DomeAerial_LukeRafferty_SP.jpg

A Year After SU Stadium Discussions, Officials Say Talks Have Stalled (DO; Mattingly)

“I think from the chancellor’s standpoint, it’s still at the stage where how does the Carrier Dome fit into the landscape of Syracuse University?” he said.

Quinn, the senior vice president for public affairs at SU, said in a statement that based on the report issued by the workgroup, “the chancellor has publicly indicated several times that given the limited life span of the existing Carrier Dome roof, the University has approximately two years to explore options for the Carrier Dome.”

Quinn said there are three potential alternatives when looking at the future of the Dome: replacing the current roof as is, installing a new roof structure while simultaneously making other improvements or building a different stadium off-site.

SU is assessing the three possibilities as part of the Campus Master Plan framework, Quinn said.

Dougherty said that if there is an agreement, a new stadium could be built within a year.

But for now, no proposal is on the table.

“The money was available. It was a one-time opportunity,” councilwoman Joy said. “The governor and the county executive had said, ‘This is what we would like to do, around this location and if you want to do it, we’ve got to do it now’ because the money was available. The money’s not available anymore, so there is no project. Period.”

steven-clark-250x140.png

Steven Clark Postpones Decision, How Worried Should the Orange Be? (orangefizz.net; Admin)

DT Steven Clark decided to postpone his decision last night via Twitter. He is still between Syracuse and Florida after taking an official visit to Gainesville this past weekend.

The Orange has gone through a rough stretch the past week with Najee Clayton committing to Rutgers, along with 3 defensive prospects taking their talents elsewhere. Syracuse has been in this position before. Granted it was during a coaching change, but this is the era we live in with college football recruiting.

Clark did tell the Fizz that he would let whichever team he has to let down enough time to find another player before National Signing Day. That was however before he decided to postpone his decision and keep Syracuse coaches very worried about his commitment to the Orange.

Clark’s commitment could go either way at this point. The Alabama product was originally between South Alabama and Syracuse before deciding to commit to the Orange in December. However things took a turn when Florida coaches saw his recruiting tape and decided to give late interest in Clark. Clark was impressed enough by his Florida visit to the delay his announcement. However, the 300-pound defensive lineman only has about a week to decide before National Signing Day arrives.

14056881694_0230e5483f_o.0.0.jpg

Wisconsin Football Recruiting: Updates on Jordan Griffin, Jake Pickard and Others (buckys5thquarter.com; Rosin)

I've always said it: recruiting is a strange, weird and ugly business. You can brace yourself for a painful run where the recruiting train sloughs off axels, passengers and careens off the tracks into a rural field.

But then, a moment like Saturday happens. You get a strong defensive line prospect in Kraig Howe and you somehow go into Alabama and get a good runner like Bradrick Shaw. It was a good day, and suddenly it looks like the mood is about to change.

Obviously, then Elu Aydon flips to Oregon State and just as suddenly the Badgers seem to slide back down the hill. It's the last week before recruiting dies out before National Signing Day. It's closing time. One last call for offers and visits. So finish your texting of cheer. Closing time. You don't have to go home, but you can't sign here.

I KNOW WHO I WANT TO TAKE ME HOME.

Sorry. Lots of reports flowing. Getting a little loopy. Let's talk 'croots.

DE Jake Pickard

Wisconsin isn't going to give up on getting Jake Pickard without a fight either. The plan is that a Griffin-like contingent of coaches was set up to visit the three-star defensive end commit on Tuesday. Though getting into and around Millburn, N.J., looks like it's going to be easier said than done over the next two days.

But there is good news here. Sure, Pickard enjoyed his visit to Michigan. That said, the key thing the Pickards were told was that Jake is the only defensive end Michigan was offering ($). Then defensive end Rueben Jones committed on Sunday.

I know what you're saying: Jim Harbaugh has always run a 3-4, and Jones looks like he's going to be a potential outside linebacker.

But Michigan offered Nebraska commit Daishon Neal (before this odd ordeal). Neal's a 6'7, 250-pound defensive end prospect out of Omaha, Neb. I'm not telling you that the Badgers are out of the woods yet in regards to Pickard, but it looks like Harbaugh might have really only offered him a window here. Recruiting? It's such a lovely business.

ACC News

gio-bernard-vs-wake-forest-2011-300x235.jpeg

UNC and Wake Forest were only scheduled to play twice in the next eight years before Monday’s agreement

Nonconference Conference Football Games a Necessary Evil Under Current ACC Schedule Format (starnewsonline.com; Friedlander)

I’d love to know the thought process that went into deciding how the ACC would divide its teams up when the league first went to divisional play back in 2004.

That’s assuming any thought went into it all.

There’s something fundamentally wrong with a system that divides traditional rivals into opposite divisions and has them play one another in football only twice every eight years.

Apparently the athletic directors at North Carolina and Wake Forest agree, because Monday, Bubba Cunningham and Ron Wellman decided to take matters into their own hands and schedule some games between their teams on their own.

The Tar Heels of the Coastal Division and Deacons of the Atlantic agreed to meet in Winston-Salem on Sept. 14, 2019 and again in Chapel Hill on Sept. 25, 2021.

That might not seem like such a groundbreaking development, considering that the schools played the first college football game ever in the state of North Carolina in 1888 and have met 105 times since.

But in this case it is. The newly added games won’t count in the ACC standings.

UNC-Wake Agreement Might Not Start a Trend But At Least Puts Spotlight on ACC Scheduling Problem (roanoke.com; Bitter)

Yesterday, Wake Forest and North Carolina, two original ACC members, took an unprecedented step ofscheduling a pair of games against each other that will be non-conference contests.

The aim, of course, was to cut down the time in between their infrequent matchups as members of opposite divisions in the ACC.

Once yearly foes who, as Dan Collins of the Winston-Salem Journal notes, didn't play each other only in the event of a World War prior to ACC expansion, the schools that are only separated by about 80 miles currently play once every six years, completing the ridiculous home-and-home cycle that the ACC has set up every 12 years.

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

This new home-and-home agreement means they'll play in 2019 and 2021 in games that won't count in the ACC standings, in addition to their originally planned games in 2015 and 2022 that do. Since 2004, they've only met four times.

Hokies Unlikely to Host Thursday Night Game This Season (richmond.com; Barber)

For the second time in three seasons, it appears Virginia Tech won’t host a Thursday night football game, sources said Tuesday.

The schedule hasn’t been finalized, but Tech officials don’t expect to have a home Thursday night game in 2015, despite requesting both the ACC and ESPN to have one.

The Hokies will play a Thursday night road game, at Georgia Tech, a source said.

The sources requested to remain anonymous because the schedule hasn’t been completed.

The ACC schedule is expected to be released as early as today.

Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech have played on Thursdays three times in the past five seasons and five times since 2004.

The Hokies, who went 7-6 last season, will host N.C. State in a Friday night game, according to a source.

2015 ACC Football Calendar (accfootballrx.blogspot.com; HokieMark)

Here's what I have so far... I'll add more dates as I get them:

2015 ACC Football Schedule to be released the week of January 26-30th (any day now)

Football National Signing Day (Regular Period) February 3, 2016 through April 1, 2016

Duke begins "Spring" practice on February 6th

NC State Spring Game - April 11th

Va Tech Spring Game - April 25th

The 2015 NFL Draft will be held April 30-May 2

ACC Spring Meetings - May 11 - 14th

NCAA ruling on conference championship deregulation expected 1st week of March.

ACC Football Kickoff - July 19 - 21st

First ACC Football Games - Thursday, Sept. 3rd

Local News

Paul_Muench_2005_Tucc.jpg

FM Football Coach Paul Muench Returns to Hornet Sideline (PS; Weidner)

Paul Muench had two years to think it over.

And he missed the game he’d coached for 26 years.

So when Fayetteville-Manlius athletics director Scott Sugar asked if he’d be interested in returning to the football sidelines for the Hornets – there wasn’t much soul-searching.

“I talked it over with my wife (Susan),” said Muench, who was approved last night by the F-M Board of Education. “There’s an old saying: ‘You make little decisions with your head and big decisions with your heart.’ And you just know. At my core it’s what I’ve always done.”

Muench, who coached F-M football for 13 years before giving it up after the 2012 season to spend more time with his family and on teaching, will return to lead a Hornets program that he took to a Section III title in 2001.

He will start his 27th season as a coach, counting the 13 years he spent on the sidelines at Oswego (six as head coach).

Last edited:
as for the stadium, the way politics is, i doubt the money was a "one time opportunity" as joy was quoted(although i am sure it was presented that way) there are always deals to be worked out. as long as albany has the money, its still alive if the mayor,mahoney and chancellor pursue it.

as for the stadium, the way politics is, i doubt the money was a "one time opportunity" as joy was quoted(although i am sure it was presented that way) there are always deals to be worked out. as long as albany has the money, its still alive if the mayor,mahoney and chancellor pursue it.
Looks like they are piling on the Mayor. Miner's is term limited in December 2017. If she plans to run for Congress, she may take a different view of things.

ACC winter meetings set to begin (ESPN)

ACC winter meetings get underway in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, this afternoon. Though there is nothing on the table that needs an immediate vote, athletic directors will be discussing a wide range of topics.

Among them:

Autonomy. Now that Power 5 conferences have the autonomy they wanted, there will be discussion about how any decisions made will impact both the league and member schools and their real-world applications. Cost of attendance is sure to be a topic, as schools try to figure out a way to pay for the added expense at a time when revenues do not meet expenses in many athletic departments. Boston College voted against cost of attendance legislation, though the school will go ahead and pay for the cost increases.

Television. There have been recent reports that the ACC Network is getting closer to reality. Florida State president John Thrasher seemed optimistic in recent comments. So did Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock, who put a potential launch at 2016 or 2017. Television partners will be at the winter meetings, but they have annual face time with league reps. There is no set agenda for in-depth discussions about an ACC Network, but that doesn't mean plans are on the shelf. There has been progress made toward that end, but it would be premature to say the league was nearly ready to make a big announcement. League officials still have no timetable for when a network could come to fruition.

Scheduling. North Carolina and Wake Forest announced a nonconference series earlier this week that has drawn support from inside the ACC. Whether this becomes a trend remains to be seen, but surely athletic directors will have discussions about the pros and cons. However, the unconventional move does not mean the league is going to start rethinking how it handles its schedule. The vote last year to remain at eight league games has essentially put the scheduling questions to rest. Whether ACC schools want to schedule each other outside league play is an institutional decision.

Army-Navy date could be problematic (ESPN)

The College Football Playoff's management committee will discuss Navy's eligibility for this season's New Year's Six bowls because of the academy's new conference affiliation and the timing of its annual game against Army.

Navy will join the American Athletic Conference in the fall.

The commissioners' concern is if the Midshipmen are ranked high enough to earn one of the New Year's Six bowl bids -- and then lose the following week to Army. That loss would not count toward Navy's final ranking, penalizing other teams that would have earned a New Year's Six bowl bid if the loss was factored in...

This is OT, but if anyone likes satire...with de-commitments happening all over the country, decided to write up a tongue in cheek thing about, well, de-commits: http://.com/de-committed-recruit-assures-school-its-not-you-its-me/