Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Steven Clark Sticks with Syracuse, Florida, Penn State, Vandy Turned Down (.com; Kelly)

It’s okay, Syracuse football fans. You can breathe a sigh of relief. Defensive tackle commit Steven Clark, who visited the University of Florida last weekend and, for a bit, seemed on the verge of flipping to the Gators, confirmed on Thursday night that he’s sticking with the Orange.

Steven took to Twitter following a basketball game on Thursday night to let the world know he’d be rocking the right shade of orange when the fall rolls around.

So now, with less than a week until National Signing Day, the Orange have been able to keep one of their key recruits, at a key position. Clark should have plenty of opportunity to find early playing time on the Syracuse defensive line, and with his combination of size and power, he’ll be someone to keep an eye on heading into fall camp in 2015. Clark possesses outstanding size for high school senior at 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, and as our Justin Roe has mentioned in his film evaluation, he’s already physically ready to compete at the next level.

2015 SU Football Schedule Released (cnycentral.clom; Tamurian)

The 2015 Syracuse Orange Football schedule is out, and by all accounts it features a pretty favorable start.

Syracuse will kick off the new campaign with four straight games at the Carrier Dome. The first three of which, are teams Syracuse should beat.

The Orange gets going by hosting Rhode Island, Wake Forest, and Central Michigan. That of course all sets the stage for a showdown with the mighty LSU Tigers at the Loudhouse on September 26.

Clearly, this is one of the best schedules we’ve had for a variety of reasons – and extremely exciting given the opportunities it gives our team and fans,” said Syracuse Athletics Director Daryl Gross. “Four home games out of the gate – including a league game and LSU making an appearance at the Carrier Dome – will certainly put us on center stage. It’s the kind of schedule that can elevate a program, create some important relevancy and encourages our fans to be involved and make a difference in the outcome of these matchups.”

Of course, things equal out, and if you want to say the beginning of the slate is easier, check out the middle.

ACC News

V Tech Based Thoughts on 2015 ACC Schedule (roanoke.com; Bitter)

Virginia Tech's 2015 football schedule is set, as is the entire ACC's. Read those links for the particulars, but here are a few more thoughts on the schedule:

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

-- I think everyone is in agreement that Friday night games are a pretty bad idea. I don't think I'm breaking new ground here.

ESPN and the ACC negotiated it into their last TV contract. The early indication was that they would be mostly reserved for Northeast schools like Syracuse and Boston College, where high school football isn't as important on Friday nights. Well, it seems everyone is involved now.

The 2015 ACC slate features five Friday night games: Florida State at Boston College (Sept. 18), Boise State at Virginia (Sept. 25), N.C. State at Virginia Tech (Oct. 9), Louisville at Wake Forest (Oct. 30) and Miami at Pittsburgh (Nov. 27).

The post-Thanksgiving game isn't an issue. That's a holiday for most and on the cusp of a weekend.

But putting Friday night games in September and October for teams in Virginia is a bad trend. High school football is a big deal in the Commonwealth, owning Friday nights. This move does a couple of things: 1) it forces fans to choose between watching high school or college games, which could significantly impact the gate at a lot of these high schools, and 2) it eliminates a week when Virginia or Virginia Tech could reasonably host visitors (or have their coaches attend high school games as recruiters).

160qSi.AuSt.156.jpeg

Triangle Based Thoughts on 2015 ACC Schedule (newsobserver.com; Giglio)

NC State will not play a single P5 Opponent Out of Conference...wow.

North Carolina will open the 2015 college football season with South Carolina on Thursday, Sept. 3.

As far as sizzle goes, that’s it for the nonconference portion of the schedules for the Triangle’s three ACC teams.

Outside the UNC-South Carolina opener, which will be in Charlotte, the pickings are slim before ACC play for the Tar Heels, N.C. State and Duke.

UNC will play a second Power 5 opponent, Illinois, and Duke will play Northwestern, another Big Ten foe, but the Illini finished 6-7 a season ago and the Wildcats weren’t even bowl eligible.

N.C. State won’t play a Power 5 nonconference opponent and will play on the road twice – at Old Dominion (Sept. 19) and at South Alabama (Sept. 26) – before conference play begins.

REMINDER: you can watch (hopefully future Orangeman and #44) Robert Washington tonight in the International Bowl, if you've got access to ESPN3. This, and other weekend viewing options, can be found here: http://.com/weekend-viewing-guide-130-21/

Jake Pickard ‏@JakePickard2015 21m21 minutes ago Millburn, NJ
I will be announcing my college choice at 5:45 tonight. Thank you for all those involved and that have helped me through this process!

Just in case any of you want to join us on the recruiting forum.:)

Millville's Jake Pickard commits to Syracuse amidst Wisconsin coaching changes
-c9e99d807881451c.jpg

Sr. Millburn DE Jake Pickard with the Syracuse family (Photo courtesy of Pickard, used with permission)
Todderick Hunt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
By Todderick Hunt | NJ Advance Media
on January 30, 2015 5:45 PM

Jake Pickard, the 6-5, 230-pound defensive end from Millville (N.J.), has switched his commitment from Wisconsin to Syracuse amidst coaching changes in Madison.
"It was a lot of things," said Pickard, a member of the NJ.com Top 50. "It was how close they are to home, but what it really boiled down to is the people there and what I think I can accomplish there because the staff is one of the greatest I've ever seen.
"And at the end of the day, they are also just great people as opposed to just a great staff and the players are amazing. And just really the whole atmosphere around Cuse, it just felt like the right place for me."
Although Pickard won't end up a Badger, he still has respect for the program as well as the multiple others who thought enough of him to extend scholarship offers.
"I will always be grateful for all the opportunities, everyone else who offered me, but specifically Wisconsin," he said. "They have a great program there and they are gonna be doing great things. But after the coaching change, I really just went back to Syracuse and looked at what I value most — the proximity to my house — and it was just so easy for me to get to my official.
"I flew up, my parents drove up and it wasn't an issue," Pickard continued. "My family has really been a part of this whole process, so when it came down to it, that was one of the things that influenced my decision. But also just the people there."
The first-team All-Group 4 defender explained his role in his future defense.
"They want me at strong defensive end," said Pickard. "We're gonna have the 4-3, 3-4 set and I'm just excited to get in there and do whatever needs to be done. Just get me on the field as soon as I'm ready, hopefully sooner rather than later, they said."
Despite recently receiving a Michigan offer, Pickard took the challenge to help catapult a Syracuse defense that experienced vast success in 2014.
"They had a very, very good defense," said Pickard. "They are one of only four defenses to allow less than 10 rushing touchdowns, so I'm just excited to join that and help push the defense to new levels. And hopefully our offense follows suit and we are able to land an ACC championship."
Pickard is the third player from New Jersey's 2015 recruiting class currently committed to Syracuse, joining South Brunswick athlete Dontae Strickland and Don Bosco cornerback Daivon Ellison.