Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ACC News

Pitt Football Going Back to Basics (triblive.com; DiPaola)

After nearly a week of spring drills, three themes are emerging around the Pitt football team:

• Energy — Everyone moves fast, reflecting the personality of coach Pat Narduzzi.

• Competition — That's the nature of the game; practice must mirror it.

• Discomfort — After a 6-7 season, anyone resting comfortably needs to wake up.

Even All-American running back James Conner said, “My mindset is like I'm a freshman again, trying to prove a point to everybody, earn respect from my teammates, earn respect from my coaches and stay grounded.”

Conner, of course, has a spot reserved for him. After rushing for 1,765 yards last season, he and wide receiver Tyler Boyd are Pitt's best hopes for contending for an ACC Coastal Division championship.

The other positions are not so clear-cut.

There are jobs to win throughout the defense, two openings on the offensive line and one at wide receiver.

Potential 2015 ACC Cinderellas (espn; Fortuna)

The Big Dance as we know it kicks off Thursday, marking the time of the year when Cinderellas from different regions of the country win us all over, bust our brackets and watch their NCAA tournament dreams become reality.

Naturally, we're turning our attention to the gridiron here, as we take a look at a few ACC players and teams capable of having Cinderella seasons themselves if things break right in 2015. You can even argue that Georgia Tech just had a Cinderella season, going 11-3 and winning the ACC Coastal division and the Capital One Orange Bowl, this after being picked as the preseason No. 5 team in its own division.

i
Kelby Brown: A sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA does not come easily. But Brown earned one after battling back from three ACL tears (2010, 2012, 2014) in his first five years at Duke. The most recent tear -- the first one to occur in his left knee -- came in August camp, ending a promising campaign before it even began. Brown was a preseason all-ACC selection for last season, this after a 2013 campaign that featured 114 tackles. The linebacker is also a two-time all-academic ACC performer (2011, 2013). His veteran presence and versatility in the heart of the Blue Devils' defense will be valuable in 2015, and who doesn't love a comeback?

i
Troy Flutie: Find someone who doesn't love Doug Flutie. (OK, outside of Miami.) That's what I thought. The 5-foot-10 former Boston College and NFL quarterback was a fan favorite, and he had a penchant for clutch moments. The 1984 Heisman Trophy winner's nephew, Troy, is now looking to follow in Doug's footsteps. Troy Flutie is a 6-foot, 182-pound redshirt freshman embroiled in a quarterback battle at BC, along with Darius Wade and Elijah Robinson. Wade is the favorite, but as we have seen before with competitions that involve a Flutie, that can often mean little.

i
Pitt: The Panthers are currently working under their fourth different head coach over the last six springs. And their name is hardly ever thrown around when talking about Coastal contenders, especially now with Georgia Tech returning plenty of players from its 11-win campaign. But first-year head coach Pat Narduzzi brings a defensive mindset to the program, and he has as good of a starting point on offense as anyone else in the league, with James Conner and Tyler Boyd back for their junior years. Who's to say Pitt can't compete for the Coastal crown next year, despite all of the turmoil of recent years?

i
Broderick Snoddy: Georgia Tech may have gone on an unexpected run to great heights last fall, but one of its best players was not around to join in on all of the fun. The A-back suffered a broken left leg in last November's win over Clemson, this after rushing for 283 yards and three touchdowns on just 28 carries, while adding 100 yards on three catches and averaging 22.4 yards on five kick returns. The jack-of-all-trades had been coming into his own for the Yellow Jackets late last season, but with so much turnover in the backfield entering 2015, Snoddy will have the chance to seize the moment in his fifth and final season, something that would be all the more rewarding after overcoming a nasty injury at one of the most inopportune times.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-19%20at%2012.32.35%20PM.png

Cover 2 College Podcast: 2015 ACC Early Preview (athlonsports.omc; Gall)

Hosts Braden Gall and Steven Lassan go in-depth with an early 2015 ACC conference preview.

Has the ACC elevated itself into national prominence with the likes of the SEC and Pac-12? Who are the best quarterbacks in the league and who will start for Florida State?

Just how wide open is the Coastal Division? Are Miami and North Carolina the wild cards to watch? Can Duke maintain their current level of play? Which Tech school has the best shot to win the division?

The rise of NC State and Boston College combined with the addition of Louisville has helped boost the ACC's standing, but can any of the three challenge the balance of power in the Atlantic Division?

The fellas touch on every team and how the predictions might shake out in the ACC in 2015.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
A nugget from that Custis story: He says WRs Alvin Cornelius and Steve Ishmael are running with the first team
Like it. I wondered what happened to Cornelius last year. Having those two guys on the field at the same time with Broyld/Phillips and Dunk and any of Morris or McFarlane actually gives us some weapons. Gotta be able to move it with that lineup.

Chuck Bullough, Syracuse defense embracing turnover (ESPN)

Spare Chuck Bullough the skepticism. He knows Syracuse's 2014 season went nothing like the Orange had planned. Especially in light of a debut ACC campaign that included seven wins and a bowl victory.

A 3-9 record is a 3-9 record. And yet, the fall was dotted with moments of fulfillment, at least from a coaching standpoint.

"Defensively, we didn't quit," the third-year Orange defensive coordinator said. "We had an older veteran group, and to the end, those guys fought. And even the BC game at the end, they were just fighting tooth and nail, even though they knew we weren't going to win, it didn't matter. So that was great.

"So now, as we talk as a defensive staff, this is going to be the most challenging because we lost all those guys. It's just going to be challenging."