Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

usa-today-8237564.0.jpg

SU Football: Updates From Tuesday's Practice and Media Availability (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

It's been a couple weeks since we've heard a lot about Syracuse football, but that changed late yesterday. With media availability once again, Orange coach Scott Shafer shared plenty of thoughts with those in attendance, and we also received additional insight on how those early position battles are shaping out.

Syracuse.com's Stephen Bailey does a nice job of summingeverything up on Twitter, as does Nate Mink in his "five things we learned" piece. So check those out if you'd like. Otherwise, some things we learned:

Alvin Cornelius is really proving himself so far in spring ball. Working with Steve Ishmael and the first-team lately, the redshirt junior's come on strong and is asserting himself into the team's developing offensive strategy. We've yet to see Cornelius truly reach his potential, but would be great to see another capable, true wideout option to pair with Ishmael to start the year. Shafer's concerned about the other options there, per yesterday's comments, so any good news helps.

Shafer says Kayton Samuels could be in the defensive line mix this fall. Considering the transition in that position group, it would be awesome to see a younger guy like Samuels be able to step up. So far, that seems to be the case, as Shafer raves about his work ethic and teases out his ability to jump in come the fall. No, he's probably not a starter, but depth was a concern, so it's welcome news there may be some

Other

SU Interim AD Pete Sala Living the Whirlwind (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Pete Sala, Syracuse Orange interim AD, explain what his first week on the new job has been like:

"It's been a week of no sleep," he said. "I can tell you that."

Not only is the 33-year employee running point on the athletic department, but he's also still doing his normal job as Senior Associate Athletics Director for Facilities. That meant balancing the management of the fragile athletics department with making sure the Bill Joel concert when off without a hitch and preparing for the upcoming NCAA Tournament East Regional games.

Oh and Sala is also on the committee in charge of finding the new AD, a role he doesn't appear to be interested in full-time.

"It's not even something I'm thinking about right now. I love what I do," he said. "I don't know. I don't know how to answer that question. I haven't really thought about it."

Sala also shared some insight into what's going on behind the scenes in a department experiencing an upheaval that it hasn't seen in a decade.

"We've made some changes, staffing-wise. It was important to meet with the administrators to say, 'Hey, what can I do for you to make your job easier? Is there a hot-button item we need to get on right now?' To be honest, 90 percent of what I'm doing is communication," Sala said. "That's been a huge issue in the department, just getting in front of each other and talking to each other and helping each other out.

"I've changed the responsibilities of some people, moved a few things around to try to improve operational excellence. There have been some efficiency issues that I've always thought, 'Hey, why are we doing it that way?' And when you sit down with people who are around it every day, it was pretty easy to make a couple changes pretty quickly."

nothing like the Billie Joel Parking fiasco to show how well they communicate on the campus

For those who don't pay too much attention to the recruiting board, the coaching staff is going after a helluva lot of receiver prospects right now: http://.com/su-looking-to-load-up-on-wide-receiver-talent/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom