Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ACC News

usa-today-8055717.0.jpg

Boston College Could Open 2016 Against Georgia Tech in Ireland (bcinterruption.com; Black)

A few months ago Yahoo Sports reported that Boston College would be facing off against Georgia Tech in Ireland. Though neither school has confirmed or deny this rumor, it still continues to be floated on the internet. Yesterday, FBschedules.com reported that this game could actually be the season opener for the Eagles and Yellow Jackets.

FBSchedules reported via a document request that Georgia Tech recently moved their game against Mercer. The rest of their out of conference schedule has already been set in stone with games against Vanderbilt (Sept. 17), Georgia Southern (Nov. 19) and a game at Georgia (Nov. 26). That would mean that Tech has an open slot for a conference game, the only teams without games that opening date are Boston College, Duke, and Miami.

Reading between the tea leaves it would make sense that Boston College would be that game. Since resurrecting the Emerald Isle Classic in 2012, the series has been an opening week game with both the Penn State/UCF and Notre Dame/Navy game being the last weekend in August, first weekend in September. If BC/GT is going to happen, they would both need to have that slot open, which now they do. This game would count as a home game for the Eagles, as they were scheduled to host the Yellow Jackets in 2016.

Since joining the ACC in 2005, BC and Georgia Tech have only faced one another three times in ten years. BC won the 2007 game in Atlanta, 24-10. Georgia Tech returned the favor a year later, eking out a 19-16 victory on the Heights. The Jackets won the most recent meeting, 37-17, down in Atlanta during the 2012 season. Georgia Tech leads the all-time series 4-2.

ACC OL/DL to Watch This Season (orlandosentinel.com; Murschel)

253x450

FSU OL Roderick Johnson is an AA Candidate

Both the offensive and defensive lines are crucial pieces to any football team’s success. The ACC features some of the best on both sides of the football. Here are several players to keep an eye on in 2015:

Welcome back …

Georgia Tech: Gotsis enters his senior season as one of two returning starters on Georgia Tech’s defensive front line. He is second among active leaders in the ACC with 22.5 career tackles for loss, earning him spots on the preseason watch lists for theChuck Bednarik and Lombardi awards along with the Bronko Nagurski and Outland trophies.

Dadi Nicolas, Virginia Tech: The Hokies defensive end enters his senior season leading all active players in the ACC in sacks (15.0) and tackles for loss (29.0), earning him recognition on the preseason watch list for the Ted Hendricks Award. He’s one of five returning starters on defense for Virginia Tech this season and was one of five players last season on the defense to average at least 5.5 tackles per game.

552fd6ab59eb8.image.jpg

Evan Kelly Heads to Chestnut Hill for His Senior Season

Spiders Lose One Player to ACC, Gain Another From the ACC (richmond.com; Gormus)

University of Pittsburgh transfer Devin Cook arrived at the University of Richmond in January and is projected to fortify the Spiders’ pass rush, an area in which they could use some reinforcement.

Richmond recorded 24 sacks last season. Players responsible for 18 of them graduated.

UR coach Danny Rocco said the speed and athleticism of Cook, who’s 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, make him a natural quarterback rusher. Cook graduated from Pitt and chose to use his final season of eligibility at Richmond.

UR acquired Cook, a defensive lineman from an ACC school, and lost defensive lineman Evan Kelly to an ACC school. Kelly, who had six sacks for Richmond in 2014, transferred to Boston College for his final season of eligibility. He will join the Eagles program this summer, a BC spokesman confirmed Thursday.

2015 College Football Spring Game Viewer's Guide: April 17-18 (cbssports.com; Patterson)

All times Eastern

Notre Dame, 12:30 p.m. -- Notre Dame has one of the most experienced teams in the country, but the ceiling for the Irish in 2015 will be determined by the quarterback play. Everett Golson and Malik Zaire give Brian Kelly two options -- options, Kelly says, that he'd take over Ohio State's -- in the fall. On Saturday, they face off in the Blue-Gold game.Watch: NBCSN

ACC

Friday, April 17

Georgia Tech, 7 p.m. -- Expectations are high for the Yellow Jackets after a Top 10 finish and Orange Bowl win. Quarterback Justin Thomas will demand attention, but there are plenty of fresh faces joining him in the backfield. Watch (Online): ESPN3

Louisville, 7 p.m. -- A Top 15 defense, which led the way to a 9-win season in Bobby Petrino's first year back, has to replace a lot of pieces. Luckily, a handful of transfers (including former UGA starters Josh Harvey-Clemons and Shaq Wiggins) are eligible. Plus, $2 beers! Watch: None

Saturday, April 18

Pittsburgh , 1 p.m. -- Pat Narduzzi's first spring game as a head coach. There's no controlled scrimmage here. The Blue-Gold game was decided by a player draft and the stakes are high: winners get steak and lobster, losers get beans and hot dogs. Watch: None

Virginia , 6 p.m. -- Noticeable on-field improvement in 2014 kept Mike London on the sidelines, despite just 11 ACC wins in five seasons. The schedule isn't easy (UCLA, Notre Dame and Boise State in the first month), but at least UVA has, for the first time since 2010, a settled starting quarterback in Greyson Lambert. Watch: None

Other

17529516-mmmain.jpg

Heather Locklear, Richie Sambora Spotted in Syracuse (PS; O'Toole)

Actress Heather Locklear and her rocker ex-husband Richie Sambora were in Syracuse this week.

Their 17-year-old daughter, Ava Sambora, was visiting Syracuse University, one of several possible college choices.

"Syracuse is beautiful," she Tweeted to her more than 25,000 followers. Ava also posted three photos of the Syracuse University campus, including one of her standing on campus.

In one reply, someone said they saw Ava and her dad on the Syracuse University campus Wednesday morning.

Others also said they saw the celebrity family in Syracuse. This was just one stop on their trip. Richie Sambora, the former Bon Jovi guitarist, posted a photo of him and his daughter together at Fordham University this week to his 152,000 Twitter followers. Ava also Tweeted a photo of New York University with the caption, "NYU Tour was out of this world."

That is a lousy article. Is a compromise really needed?

Just unretire the damn number already. You can pay tribute to the legacy of the elites like Brown, Davis, and Little by continuing to have the retired jersey hang in the Dome rafters. THERE'S your compromise.

But taking it out of the mix on the recruiting trail serves no purpose--especially post-"The Express."

Last edited:
That is a lousy article. Is a compromise really needed?

Just unretire the damn number already.
Yep. Really dumb by Axe. I just went on a little bit of a rant in response on Twitter, here's what I said:

"So we're protecting the legacy of Mandel Robinson and Glenn Moore by making a kid earn it? Obviously, I disagree. I'm not saying Washington is a "for sure" savior type player, but let's not act like it's never been worn by players who didn't become legends. But no player in SU history had to "earn it." So now that we're struggling, and we have an elite talent who wants to come to SU and wear it, we want to make him the FIRST person to have to EARN it? It doesn't track. You use the tools at your disposal to get better. This is one of them."

Obviously, I'm pretty biased in this with my involvement with the #Restore44 campaign and the fact that I've developed a bit of a connection to what's happening with this particular recruit. But still.

Yep. Really dumb by Axe. I just went on a little bit of a rant in response on Twitter, here's what I said:

"So we're protecting the legacy of Mandel Robinson and Glenn Moore by making a kid earn it? Obviously, I disagree. I'm not saying Washington is a "for sure" savior type player, but let's not act like it's never been worn by players who didn't become legends. But no player in SU history had to "earn it." So now that we're struggling, and we have an elite talent who wants to come to SU and wear it, we want to make him the FIRST person to have to EARN it? It doesn't track. You use the tools at your disposal to get better. This is one of them."

Obviously, I'm pretty biased in this with my involvement with the #Restore44 campaign and the fact that I've developed a bit of a connection to what's happening with this particular recruit. But still.
I still maintain that some rebranding will need to happen before 44 is restored...ESPECIALLY if its given to a high school recruit. Its more of a delicate balancing act than you are making it out to be.

jekelish said:
Yep. Really dumb by Axe. I just went on a little bit of a rant in response on Twitter, here's what I said: "So we're protecting the legacy of Mandel Robinson and Glenn Moore by making a kid earn it? Obviously, I disagree. I'm not saying Washington is a "for sure" savior type player, but let's not act like it's never been worn by players who didn't become legends. But no player in SU history had to "earn it." So now that we're struggling, and we have an elite talent who wants to come to SU and wear it, we want to make him the FIRST person to have to EARN it? It doesn't track. You use the tools at your disposal to get better. This is one of them." Obviously, I'm pretty biased in this with my involvement with the #Restore44 campaign and the fact that I've developed a bit of a connection to what's happening with this particular recruit. But still.

Yeah - I had your back (@twofish). :)

Everybody feels like they need to put their mark on something. If the number is unretired, it should be utilized the way it was in the past.

I like the idea of earning something, that's what the damn "C" is for on the chest. The number 44's history in Syracuse lore is not how hard working young men finally earned the number as an upperclassmen. Nor should it be in the future.

It shouldn't be HCSS's decision on how to use it, nor the new AD. If anything, input from former players who wore the number, if anything at all. Now, the HC should certainly be able to determine which recruit they'd like to offer the number IMO, but that's not determining how to use it.

There will be people that disagree with me, but, do you know the one thing that is constant about history? It doesn't change. At least, not until people start meddling in it.

This is why I don't think someone like the HC, nor the AD being able to decide this. Those positions are revolving. The one constant is the name and the institution. Those who wore it will always have worn it. If a HC makes the decision that it's awarded to a deserving upperclassmen, then that coach gets fired down the road, does the new tradition stay? Do we have another debate with the next HC? Now it's messy in this scenario.

If the upperclassmen have a problem with giving it away to a recruit, tough cookies, it's not your decision.

Everybody feels like they need to put their mark on something. If the number is unretired, it should be utilized the way it was in the past.

I like the idea of earning something, that's what the damn "C" is for on the chest. The number 44's history in Syracuse lore is not how hard working young men finally earned the number as an upperclassmen. Nor should it be in the future.

It shouldn't be HCSS's decision on how to use it, nor the new AD. If anything, input from former players who wore the number, if anything at all. Now, the HC should certainly be able to determine which recruit they'd like to offer the number IMO, but that's not determining how to use it.

There will be people that disagree with me, but, do you know the one thing that is constant about history? It doesn't change. At least, not until people start meddling in it.

This is why I don't think someone like the HC, nor the AD being able to decide this. Those positions are revolving. The one constant is the name and the institution. Those who wore it will always have worn it. If a HC makes the decision that it's awarded to a deserving upperclassmen, then that coach gets fired down the road, does the new tradition stay? Do we have another debate with the next HC? Now it's messy in this scenario.

If the upperclassmen have a problem with giving it away to a recruit, tough cookies, it's not your decision.
I can't like this enough times.

Oh my god Axe is infuriating. States his case, and then you counter. Then he says, "But do we even know that's the case?" and then you say, "Yes, it is the case, 100% confirmed." Then he condescendingly changes the subject because he doesn't have a counter argument of his own.

Good lord. Infuriating.

"Don't have a legitimate argument? Just ask condescending and dismissive! It's the Brent Axe method, and it really really works!"

Last edited:
Oh my god Axe is infuriating. States his case, and then you counter. Then he says, "But do we even know that's the case?" and then you say, "Yes, it is the case, 100% confirmed." Then he condescendingly changes the subject because he doesn't have a counter argument of his own.

Good lord. Infuriating.

"Don't have a legitimate argument? Just ask condescending and dismissive! It's the Brent Axe method, and it really really works!"

He's just such an awful thinker.