Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

robertwashington.JPG

Father of Robert Washington Says SU Football Fans 'Don't Have to Worry' (PS; Bailey)

The Decision: 3 PM Saturday Afternoon

On Saturday at 3 p.m., four-star SouthLake Christian (Huntersville, N.C.) Academy running back Robert Washington will announce his verbal commitment to one of six schools: Syracuse, Alabama, Michigan, Florida, North Carolina or TCU.

For Syracuse, his verbal pledge would be a monumental achievement in the recruiting realm even with a binding, signed agreement still months away.

The 5-foot-11, 215-pound Washington, who has offers from most national powers, is rated the 14th-best running back in the Class of 2016 by 247Sports.com's composite rankings after rushing for 2,233 yards and 27 touchdowns as a junior, according to MaxPreps.com.

He led SouthLake Christian to its second straight N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Division II state championship and has been a highly coveted recruit since receiving his first offer from Ole Miss in eighth grade.

The upcoming choice has been a hot topic inside the Syracuse fan base, but late Tuesday night Robert Washington Sr. shared a point of view that could evoke some confidence.

"I don't think Syracuse fans have to worry about Robert," Washington Sr. said. "That's my opinion."

0.jpg

Syracuse Team Physician Disqualifies Isaiah Johnson From Football Due to History of Concussions (DO; Grossman)

Rising junior defensive lineman Isaiah Johnson will not return to the Syracuse football program for his third season, according to an announcement by Syracuse Athletics on Tuesday.

SU’s team physician examined Johnson’s concussion history, per the release, and has medically disqualified him from participating in any future contact sporting events with Syracuse.

The 6-foot-4, 287-pound lineman played in all 12 games for the Orange last season, registering five tackles, one sack and one forced fumble, which came in SU’s 31-15 loss against Notre Dame on Sept. 27. In two years with Syracuse, Johnson totaled 10 tackles and one interception.

Johnson’s first concussion at SU came against Florida St. on Nov. 16, 2013, when he sacked Seminoles quarterback Jameis Winston. A freshman at the time, Johnson didn’t practice the rest of that week and had trouble recalling the sequence of events.

“After that, it just went blank,” Johnson said at the time to The Daily Orange, talking about his sack. “They said I celebrated, played another play after that, but I don’t remember. ”

B9315312775Z.1_20141129213011_000_G7J995DD5.1-0.jpg

Update on 2016 SU QB Target Josh Jackson of Saline, MI (24 7sports.com; Wiltfong)

College coaches already know Saline (Mich.) High 2016 quarterback Joshua Jackson.

Ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the nation's No. 18 dual-threat quarterback, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Jackson threw for 1,863 yards and 16 touchdowns to just three interceptions as a junior while adding another 783 yards rushing and nine scores.

Northwestern has made Jackson a top priority at the quarterback position and will be in to see him Tuesday. Other offers include Syracuse, Utah and West Virginia.

16776533-large.jpg

Michigan Offers SU Target WR Donald Stewart of Paramus Catholic (detroitnews.com; Trieu)

Wolverines offer another at Paramus Catholic

Michigan has been no stranger at Paramus Catholic in New Jersey the last few seasons. Jabrill Peppers is from Paramus Catholic, it's where Michigan is currently recruiting defensive tackle Rashan Gary, and current UM recruiting staffer Chris Patridge was the head coach there.

Now the Wolverines have offered junior wide receiver Donald Stewart, a sure-handed 6-foot-4, 185-pound target.

"Hopefully in May, my dad, my coach and I plan to make a trip to Michigan," Stewart said to Scout's Josh Newkirk. "I just want to take a tour of the facilities and the school. I know it's a great academic school. That's something that's going to be big part of my decision. I just can't wait to take a visit. I'm very excited right now."

Stewart has additional offers from Illinois, Boston College, Iowa, Northwestern, Rutgers, Syracuse and more.

usa-today-8206834.0.jpg

2015 USF Football Guide: It's Not Good (sbnation.com; Connelly)

Biggest game for the Bulls? Syracuse

According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, USF's 2014 recruiting class was the best in the AAC by a significant margin -- the Bulls' 190.5 points were further ahead of second-place UCF's 165.8 than UCF was ahead of sixth-place ECU. Their class ranked 39th overall, ahead of recently successful power-conference teams like Texas Tech, TCU, and Louisville. When you are based in such a talent-rich area, you don't have much of an excuse not to pull in some nice prospects, but Willie Taggart's haul was particularly impressive considering USF's uncertain status (from BCS-level to non-power following the AAC's demotion) and the fact that the Bulls went 2-10 in 2013, Taggart's first season.

In 2014, Taggart began to hand the team over to the youngsters. Star quarterback signee Quinton Flowers saw action, and freshman running backs Marlon Mack and D'Ernest Johnson combined for 249 rushes and 29 catches. Defensive backs Devin Abraham, Kendall Sawyer, Deatrick Nichols, and Tajee Fullwood all saw time in the rotation. Between these players and some key redshirt freshmen in the defensive front seven, USF fielded an awfully young team. USF also fielded an awful team.

A 4-8 record seems like improvement over 2-10, yes, but USF's 4-8 record was just about as soft as imaginable last fall. The Bulls survived FCS Western Carolina in the season opener, then beat three awful conference foes -- UConn, Tulsa and SMU combined to go 5-31 -- by a combined 12 points. Their 4-0 record in one-possession games* was the only thing propping up a team that, on paper, regressed from 102nd in the F/+ ratings to 123rd.

Last edited:
chris carlson ‏@ccarlsononSU 33s34 seconds ago
Shafer on now on ACC teleconference: "Spring ball went well. We're looking forward to recruiting process."

Shafer on Hunt: First off, the biggest focus for us with Terrell is live in the now, the way you approach things.

Shafer on Hunt: Good to have him back, good to see he was healthy. After we got through install the first 4 or 5 practices he did a nice job

Shafer on defense: Up front we have great competition. Was pleased with Kayton Samuels (maybe most improved on D) and Slayton

Samuels and Slayton have done a nice job creating competition with Raymon and Williams.

Shafer: It's hard for true freshman to play at defensive tackle right away, probably most difficult, along with offensive line.

Shafer compares Clemson's Vic Beasley to Chandler Jones. Both long, athletic guys.

Shafer on offensive line: Nothing solidified until Rhode Island, competition is on. Trudo has been good, had a "lower ankle deal."

Shafer on Aaron Roberts: Similar to Samuels and Slayton on DL. Young, aggressive guys with a lot of upside.

Shafer: Aaron Roberts has done nice job with hand placement, learning to be more consistent with hands.

Shafer on losing so much on defense: You say to yourself who is going to be the next guy to emerge? I've been pleased.

Shafer on LBs: Hodge is weak side, Zaire Franklin is running the show at MLB, Bennett/Thomas at SSLB.

Shafer on Jack Pickard: He sends him pictures of a scale. You can see his "big, ugly feet" and that he's gained a couple pounds.

Last edited:
Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 8m8 minutes ago
Shafer said he was happy with QB Terrel Hunt's spring performance after the first 4-5 practices of installation.

Shafer shouts out rFr. DT Kayton Samuels. "In some respects, he may have been the most improved player on defense."

Chris Slayton also played well, Shafer said. Sees Samuels, Slayton, Williams and Raymon as a competitive group.

Shafer says again that Ron Thompson will play at DE exclusively. Practiced there all spring vs. new LT Ivan Foy.

Shafer on OL: "Nothing's solidified until we kick off against Rhode Island."

Shafer sees rFr. RG Aaron Roberts as a most-improved candidate on offense. Worked his way into the first-team spot.

Sounds like Parris Bennett still has the edge for that SAM spot. Jonathan Thomas also pushing for it.

Colton Moskal is still working in the middle behind Zaire Franklin, but can move around.

Shafer says the staff is checking in with 2015 signees weekly. Staff has regular talks, weight goals for each player.

Warning: Bud Poliquin article follows:

Because we need every recruiting advantage we can get, Pud. And because it never should have been retired to begin with.

I look forward to Pud's next journalistic opus, a diatribe extolling the merits of changing the name to a whiz bangy moniker like "Orange" instead of an old, traditional fuddy duddy descriptor like "Orangemen."

Last edited:
Warning: Bud Poliquin article follows:

Wow, you expect someone like Axe to take a contrarian position on a popular issue in a desperate attempt to get someone to read his blog.

Bud has always been a contrarian too, but copying Axe is beneath him. He must have been sick or heavily medicated when he wrote this.