Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

10959292_10153042256783672_5712268940729804529_o__1_.0.0.jpg

Oh the Otto Orange Places You Will Go! (TNIAAM; Pregler)

Ed Note: I originally intended this to be part of a series of posts about life as part of the Otto the Orange Program at Syracuse. But today, as I graduate, I feel that it's far more appropriate. While not everyone gets to be part of this, everyone at Syracuse gives our lovable Orange life and makes the experience that much better for those who do. Thank you to all of you who have.

I'm writing this just over an hour after I stepped off Jim Boeheim Court for the last time as a student at Syracuse University. I don't think I've ever been this emotional, not because it was my last basketball game as Otto, not because my family made the three and a half hour drive to see my finale, and not because I spend the night followed around by a Daily Orange crew documenting Otto's day. I'm so emotional because I'm getting that much closer to saying goodbye to my team.

I didn't come to Syracuse with the intention of being a mascot, being that guy at games or even trying to be anything else than someone who could take advantage of what Syracuse has to offer. Over the last four years, I have been part of a team that through creativity, boundless energy, orange passion, and a ton of sweat has brought Otto the Orange to life. I have seen teammates come and go, and there's no denying that our little Orange Tree is a unique bond that will unite across time and distance.

But it's nothing like hanging out with these guys before a game. It's nothing like mutually hating a workout at 6am on a Tuesday morning. It's nothing like nervously watching a teammate perform a skit for Mascot Nationals (yes, an actual thing) and mobbing them upon completion. There's something more to this team than any other group on campus.

Part of it is the secrecy. We don't just go around prancing our team alliances and usually have made up back stories on how we all met. Part of it is that we do spend at least 6 hours a week together if there's one game, let alone a week that is bookended by basketball and has four appearances in between. But a large part of it is knowing we all share a selflessness that comes along with the job. If you've been following along to these posts to date, I hope you understand that the goal is not to tout "Andy Pregler, the Otto." It's to tout a program that year in and year out is made up of kids who have all kinds of dreams, brings some of these to life and happens to have a kid who's been on Keeley's good side for a bit.

ACC News

ACC Notebook: Pitt's Narduzzi Looking for Ways to Upgrade 2015 Roster (post-gazette.com)

Pat Narduzzi didn’t name any names, but admitted that recruiting is still “a work in progress” when it comes to Pitt’s 2015 roster.

Since signing 15 prospects on national signing day Feb. 4, Narduzzi has continued to add to the roster. He added transfer defensive end Dewayne Hendrix from Tennessee, graduate transfer defensive lineman Mark Scarpinatofrom Michigan State and, just this week, junior-college transfer receiver Rafael Araujo-Lopes from Reedley (Calif.) College.

Both Scarpinato and Araujo-Lopes can play this year for Pitt, while Hendrix must sit out a year before becoming eligible.

“We’re always going to try to address needs,” Narduzzi said. “We didn’t rush to sign a bunch of guys on national signing day. We’re going to continue to look out there and see what’s best for Pittsburgh.”

Narduzzi couldn’t discuss any of the players specifically because their paperwork hadn’t been finalized yet.

He also intimated that Pitt might not be totally finished upgrading its 2015 roster, saying only “I don’t know” when asked if more additions could be on the horizon.

With the addition of Araujo-Lopes, the Panthers will have three scholarships remaining below their limit of 85. Narduzzi said he expects all scholarship players that were with the team at the end of spring to return for fall camp this year.

Divisions on Docket at ACC Spring Meetings? (independentmail.com; Rink)

The ACC’s spring meetings are underway today through Thursday in sunny Amelia Island, Florida.

The conference has been in the news with, the news, of conference deregulation reportedly set for 2016. While conference commissioner John Swofford says the ACC isn’t planning on any changes – that’s not stopping speculation and proposals.

One co-opted idea is scrapping divisions and going with three permanent opponents each season, allowing teams to play the 13 fellow member schools twice in a four-year span.

The Daily Press is advocating something much, much simpler for the docket this week. Veteran ACC writer David Teel says the “logical fix” is playing nine league games, but the most recent vote (last year’s spring meetings) was 8-6 in favor of the status quo.

He says one of the reason school reps believe in the division structure is they “give teams more to play for deeper into the season.”

Eight games, divisions and permanent crossovers a given, he proposes swapping Georgia Tech and Louisville division-to-division, giving Clemson a new crossover rival in Virginia Tech (Louisville and Georgia Tech as new cross-division rivals).

It’s an interesting idea, giving FSU a shot to play the closest school in proximity each season, while not ending the interstate rivalry with Clemson-Tech. And it’s hard to see a real downside, a win-win in Louisville escaping annual dates with Clemson and FSU – and for the Tigers, adding a fun new regional rivalry.

Other

17768241-mmmain.jpg

Electronics Factory Opening in Clay, Will Employ 60 Workers (PS; Moriarty)

An Ogdensburg-based electronics manufacturer is planning to open a factory in Clay that it says will create 60 jobs over the next five years.

Ansen Corp. said it plans to acquire and renovate a vacant 44,000-square-foot building at 4707 Dey Road, off Henry Clay Boulevard, at a cost of $1.04 million. The facility will produce circuit boards used in LED lights and other industrial products, it said.

Rod Bush, the company's vice president for business development, said the facility will initially make circuit boards for Syracuse-based Ephesus Lighting, a maker of LED lights for sports stadiums and arenas. However, he said it eventually will also make electronic components for other customers, too.

Ansen had been Ephesus's sole manufacturing partner until the fall of 2014, when the LED lighting company introduced its new stadium lights. Ansen did not have the space at its Ogdensburg factory to take on the additional business, so the work went to a company in Ohio. Bush said the plan is to bring the work back from Ohio.

Ansen has applied for tax exemptions from the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency. If approved, they would save the company an estimated $226,712 in property taxes over 10 years, according to its application.

Bush said the company would like to be in the building by the end of the summer. Until recently, the building housed M.S. Kennedy Corp., a subsidiary of Anaren Inc. Anaren moved M.S. Kennedy, a maker of microelectronics, to a new facility at its headquarters in DeWitt last year.

Ansen said non-management jobs at the factory will pay approximately $10.50 an hour and management jobs will pay an annual salary of about $60,000.

The company said it expects its customers' lighting business to grow dramatically over the next five years.

SU News

10959292_10153042256783672_5712268940729804529_o__1_.0.0.jpg

Oh the Otto Orange Places You Will Go! (TNIAAM; Pregler)

Ed Note: I originally intended this to be part of a series of posts about life as part of the Otto the Orange Program at Syracuse. But today, as I graduate, I feel that it's far more appropriate. While not everyone gets to be part of this, everyone at Syracuse gives our lovable Orange life and makes the experience that much better for those who do. Thank you to all of you who have.

I'm writing this just over an hour after I stepped off Jim Boeheim Court for the last time as a student at Syracuse University. I don't think I've ever been this emotional, not because it was my last basketball game as Otto, not because my family made the three and a half hour drive to see my finale, and not because I spend the night followed around by a Daily Orange crew documenting Otto's day. I'm so emotional because I'm getting that much closer to saying goodbye to my team.

I didn't come to Syracuse with the intention of being a mascot, being that guy at games or even trying to be anything else than someone who could take advantage of what Syracuse has to offer. Over the last four years, I have been part of a team that through creativity, boundless energy, orange passion, and a ton of sweat has brought Otto the Orange to life. I have seen teammates come and go, and there's no denying that our little Orange Tree is a unique bond that will unite across time and distance.

But it's nothing like hanging out with these guys before a game. It's nothing like mutually hating a workout at 6am on a Tuesday morning. It's nothing like nervously watching a teammate perform a skit for Mascot Nationals (yes, an actual thing) and mobbing them upon completion. There's something more to this team than any other group on campus.

Part of it is the secrecy. We don't just go around prancing our team alliances and usually have made up back stories on how we all met. Part of it is that we do spend at least 6 hours a week together if there's one game, let alone a week that is bookended by basketball and has four appearances in between. But a large part of it is knowing we all share a selflessness that comes along with the job. If you've been following along to these posts to date, I hope you understand that the goal is not to tout "Andy Pregler, the Otto." It's to tout a program that year in and year out is made up of kids who have all kinds of dreams, brings some of these to life and happens to have a kid who's been on Keeley's good side for a bit.

ACC News

ACC Notebook: Pitt's Narduzzi Looking for Ways to Upgrade 2015 Roster (post-gazette.com)

Pat Narduzzi didn’t name any names, but admitted that recruiting is still “a work in progress” when it comes to Pitt’s 2015 roster.

Since signing 15 prospects on national signing day Feb. 4, Narduzzi has continued to add to the roster. He added transfer defensive end Dewayne Hendrix from Tennessee, graduate transfer defensive lineman Mark Scarpinatofrom Michigan State and, just this week, junior-college transfer receiver Rafael Araujo-Lopes from Reedley (Calif.) College.

Both Scarpinato and Araujo-Lopes can play this year for Pitt, while Hendrix must sit out a year before becoming eligible.

“We’re always going to try to address needs,” Narduzzi said. “We didn’t rush to sign a bunch of guys on national signing day. We’re going to continue to look out there and see what’s best for Pittsburgh.”

Narduzzi couldn’t discuss any of the players specifically because their paperwork hadn’t been finalized yet.

He also intimated that Pitt might not be totally finished upgrading its 2015 roster, saying only “I don’t know” when asked if more additions could be on the horizon.

With the addition of Araujo-Lopes, the Panthers will have three scholarships remaining below their limit of 85. Narduzzi said he expects all scholarship players that were with the team at the end of spring to return for fall camp this year.

Divisions on Docket at ACC Spring Meetings? (independentmail.com; Rink)

The ACC’s spring meetings are underway today through Thursday in sunny Amelia Island, Florida.

The conference has been in the news with, the news, of conference deregulation reportedly set for 2016. While conference commissioner John Swofford says the ACC isn’t planning on any changes – that’s not stopping speculation and proposals.

One co-opted idea is scrapping divisions and going with three permanent opponents each season, allowing teams to play the 13 fellow member schools twice in a four-year span.

The Daily Press is advocating something much, much simpler for the docket this week. Veteran ACC writer David Teel says the “logical fix” is playing nine league games, but the most recent vote (last year’s spring meetings) was 8-6 in favor of the status quo.

He says one of the reason school reps believe in the division structure is they “give teams more to play for deeper into the season.”

Eight games, divisions and permanent crossovers a given, he proposes swapping Georgia Tech and Louisville division-to-division, giving Clemson a new crossover rival in Virginia Tech (Louisville and Georgia Tech as new cross-division rivals).

It’s an interesting idea, giving FSU a shot to play the closest school in proximity each season, while not ending the interstate rivalry with Clemson-Tech. And it’s hard to see a real downside, a win-win in Louisville escaping annual dates with Clemson and FSU – and for the Tigers, adding a fun new regional rivalry.

Other

17768241-mmmain.jpg

Electronics Factory Opening in Clay, Will Employ 60 Workers (PS; Moriarty)

An Ogdensburg-based electronics manufacturer is planning to open a factory in Clay that it says will create 60 jobs over the next five years.

Ansen Corp. said it plans to acquire and renovate a vacant 44,000-square-foot building at 4707 Dey Road, off Henry Clay Boulevard, at a cost of $1.04 million. The facility will produce circuit boards used in LED lights and other industrial products, it said.

Rod Bush, the company's vice president for business development, said the facility will initially make circuit boards for Syracuse-based Ephesus Lighting, a maker of LED lights for sports stadiums and arenas. However, he said it eventually will also make electronic components for other customers, too.

Ansen had been Ephesus's sole manufacturing partner until the fall of 2014, when the LED lighting company introduced its new stadium lights. Ansen did not have the space at its Ogdensburg factory to take on the additional business, so the work went to a company in Ohio. Bush said the plan is to bring the work back from Ohio.

Ansen has applied for tax exemptions from the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency. If approved, they would save the company an estimated $226,712 in property taxes over 10 years, according to its application.

Bush said the company would like to be in the building by the end of the summer. Until recently, the building housed M.S. Kennedy Corp., a subsidiary of Anaren Inc. Anaren moved M.S. Kennedy, a maker of microelectronics, to a new facility at its headquarters in DeWitt last year.

Ansen said non-management jobs at the factory will pay approximately $10.50 an hour and management jobs will pay an annual salary of about $60,000.

The company said it expects its customers' lighting business to grow dramatically over the next five years.
Assuming that the divisions remain, Teel wants to swap GT and Louisville? Yikes. The league is facing two problems - poor long-term connectivity between teams, and competitive imbalance. If you can't fix one, why would you choose to ignore the other?

Assuming that the divisions remain, Teel wants to swap GT and Louisville? Yikes. The league is facing two problems - poor long-term connectivity between teams, and competitive imbalance. If you can't fix one, why would you choose to ignore the other?
From Syracuse's perspective, the swap of Louisville for GT would be great, as we have a lot of alums in the Atlanta area and recruit Georgia hard for football.

Also, for people who travel to away games, nothing against Louisville, but Atlanta is a lot easier and cheaper to get to...

That being said, I am disappointed we aren't hearing more about expanding the league schedule to 9 games or going with the 3-5-5 schedule model that seems to make so much sense.

I understand 9 games is a non-starter with the ND scheduling arrangement. Don't like it but I understand it. I can't for the life of me understand why the ACC doesn't implement 3-5-5. If you want a real league with real rivalries and everything that comes with it, you have to play all the other teams in the league regularly. Having to wait 12 years to see 6 teams in your league play in your home stadium is unacceptable. It has to change.

I understand 9 games is a non-starter with the ND scheduling arrangement. Don't like it but I understand it. I can't for the life of me understand why the ACC doesn't implement 3-5-5. If you want a real league with real rivalries and everything that comes with it, you have to play all the other teams in the league regularly. Having to wait 12 years to see 6 teams in your league play in your home stadium is unacceptable. It has to change.

As long as the NCAA requires two divisions with full round robin play in order to hold a Championship Game, we're stuck.

When the NCAA changes the rules, we'll see 3-5-5.

From Syracuse's perspective, the swap of Louisville for GT would be great, as we have a lot of alums in the Atlanta area and recruit Georgia hard for football.

Also, for people who travel to away games, nothing against Louisville, but Atlanta is a lot easier and cheaper to get to...

That being said, I am disappointed we aren't hearing more about expanding the league schedule to 9 games or going with the 3-5-5 schedule model that seems to make so much sense.

I hope like hell that the 3-5-5 plan is shovel ready the moment the NCAA pulls its head out of its bunghole.

And while access to the Atlanta region is great, being stuck in a division with Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville (AKA cash cash cash cash aplenty), while the other side has Duke and Georgia Tech duking it out for top honors, is ludicrous. I would gladly forgo Atlanta to lessen the roadblock ahead of us in the division.

Atlanta is more fun than Louisville also imho.

Atlanta is more fun than Louisville also imho.

Hmmm it kinda depends...don't sell Louisville short. BTW...have you decided if you are coming? Call me if you have any questions or if you want to me to talk to the Lville Tix rep about seating for you.

Hmmm it kinda depends...don't sell Louisville short. BTW...have you decided if you are coming? Call me if you have any questions or if you want to me to talk to the Lville Tix rep about seating for you.

I probably was quick to judge there Mark. :) Louisville is a fun town also. I just loved Atlanta growing up. Unfortunately I am out this year. Dad ran into some health issues. Hopefully things will be resolved by then but I don't want to make any commitments at this point.