Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

GettyImages-181201117.0.jpg

Ebenezer Busted

Your Yearly Reminder That Recruiting is a Crapshoot (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Recruiting news and interest has been kicked up a notch in recent around these parts. Hell, we've even got our own recruiting beat writers now. Ever since Scott Shafer took over, Syracuse Orange football has started reaching for the stars and expanding it's efforts to bring top talent to Upstate New York.

It's starting to pay dividends with the verbal commitment of RB Robert Washington, potential No. 44 and SU's newest recruiter.

Syracuse fans expect the moon and the sky from Washington right now, and he may just eventually meet those expectations. But, it's ALWAYS a good idea to check your expectations against reality.

Remember what I said about the Syracuse Basketball Class of 2013?

The odds tell us one of them will be a complete bust. He might even transfer or leave the program. Another one will probably end up falling well short of expectations. The other three? We'll, they're the ones we'll be counting on.

We're pretty much right on schedule. Tyler Ennis was the star and left after one year. Tyler Roberson is developing into a decent player and should see some strong PT this upcoming season. B.J. Johnson and Ron Patterson are both gone, transferring to other programs. Chinonso Obokoh remains the only unknown. He might not ever become a big deal and he might have The Syracuse Big Man Senior Year Bump. We'll have to see.

The point is, you just never know. You really don't.

All of this leads me to Ebenezer Ogundeko. Remember him? We wanted him about as badly as we wanted Robert Washington and in the end he chose the Clemson Tigersover us. Yesterday, he was dismissed after being arrested and charged with one count of financial transaction fraud (Hi Doug Gottlieb!). Even before he was dismissed, his career was fairly unimpressive and not anything like what we thought he'd be.

duncecap.jpg

#Restore 44: ESPN's 'PTI' and 'Olbermann' Rip Syracuse For Idea of Unretiring Number (PS; Axe)

Whether the famed No.44 at Syracuse University is really back or not, the talking heads on two of ESPN's most prominent shows think it is a bad idea to un-retire the number.

The No.44 was discussed on both ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" and "Olbermann" with Keith Olbermann on Wednesday afternoon.

On "PTI", both Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon sided with former Syracuse quarterback Donovan McNabb in expressing their disagreement to bring back the No.44.

When asked by Kornheiser if he was with McNabb or Jim Brown, who gave his blessing to un-retire the number according to Interim Athletic Director Pete Sala, Wilbon sided with McNabb.

"I'm with McNabb," Wilbon said. "No. Tony, the exception would be this. If you had some long history where the best player on the offensive backfield every single year for the last 60 years was handed 44 as a reward and that had been your history through the decades, I would say OK."

"Kids, sadly, they don't know who Floyd Little was," Wilbon said. They don't know, without their parents elbowing them in the neck who Jim Brown was. They don't even know who Donovan McNabb is because it didn't happen on 'Sportscenter' this morning."

Other

17868884-mmmain.jpg

Letterman's Final Show Recap: 4 Presidents Join in Mocking His 'Late Show' Exit (PS; AP)

David Letterman was ushered into retirement Wednesday by four presidents declaring "our long national nightmare is over" and a succession of stars delivering a final Top Ten list of things they always wanted to say to the late-night host.

The taped intro of President Barack Obama and former Presidents George Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush referenced President Gerald Ford's declaration to the country when he took office following the 1974 resignation of Richard Nixon. Letterman sidled up to Obama to say, "you're just kidding, right?"

Letterman said goodbye after 33 years and 6,028 broadcasts of his late-night shows on CBS and NBC. The final "Late Show" broadcast ran long, some 17 minutes over its usual hour, and CBS planned to let the show air without cutting it.

Some in 'Late Show' audience leave last taping in tears

The transplanted Hoosier, who made Top Ten lists and ironic humor staples of television comedy and influenced a generation of performers, will be replaced by Stephen Colbert in September.

Letterman joked in his monologue that he's been on the air for so long that the hot show when he started was "Keeping Up with the Gabors." He said that Stephen Hawking figured out that the 6,028 broadcasts included "about eight minutes of laughter."

"You want to know what I'm going to do now that I'm retired?" he said. "By God, I hope to become the new face of Scientology."

Ten stars, from Steve Martin to Tina Fey, delivered the final Top Ten list of "things I've always wanted to say to Dave." Julia Louis-Dreyfus, with Jerry Seinfeld standing nearby, said, "Thanks for letting me take part in another hugely disappointing series finale."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom