Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
big_russ_beer_cheese_pralines_day.jpg

Welcome to National Pralines Day!

SU News

Cross.jpg

Syracuse Offers 2016 QB De'Vante Cross, Teammate of OL Commit Noel Brouse (PS; Bailey)

De'Vante is also a top basketball player who has led Parkland to District championships in football and basketball his frosh, sophomore and junior seasons...

With one quarterback already committed to its 2016 class, it appears Syracuse is chasing a second.

The Orange landed Plant (Tampa, Fla.) High School signal caller Rex Culpepperearlier this month. On Tuesday, Parkland (Allentown, Pa.) Senior High School quarterback De'Vante Cross tweeted that he received an offer from the Orange.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Cross is not rated by the major recruiting services and has been offered by Army, Villanova, Monmouth, Delaware and a host of other FCS schools, according to his Twitter. He threw for 2,348 yards and 27 touchdowns last season, according to his highlight video, and ran for 725 yards and 10 touchdowns, earning first-team all-Lehigh Valley honors.

635510073823409110-110714-sals-v-mtown-wb-73175.JPG

Colby Reeder

635486523210464056-CO-Ftbll-101114-B-Spts.jpg

Taylor Riggins

OLBs Colby Reeder, Taylor Riggins Set to Visit Syracuse This Week (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse will host Class of 2016 outside linebackers with offers on back-to-back days this week.

First, Salesianum (Wilmington, Del.) School prospect Colby Reeder will take a trip to SU on Wednesday, according to a source. Then, Aquinas (Rochester, N.Y.) Institute prospect Taylor Riggins will make his second trip to campus this month, he said over Twitter direct message.

The 6-foot-2, 214-pound Reeder is rated three stars and the No. 113 outside linebacker in his cycle by 247Sports.com's composite rankings. He was offered by the Orange in late May and also has been extended scholarships by Miami, Delaware, Old Dominion and Princeton, among others, per 247Sports.com.

Reeder recorded 128 tackles and seven forced fumbles playing safety for Salesianum last season, according to his highlight video. He also carried the ball 140 times for 925 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Reeder would be Syracuse's first scholarship player taken from Delaware since running back Jerome Smith five years ago.

The 6-foot-2, 213-pound Riggins is unrated by the major recruiting services and was offered by Syracuse after impressing coaches at a one-day camp on June 13. He has no other offers but said he will camp at Penn State on Friday and at Pittsburgh in July. Riggins may end up planning more camps and visits over the summer.

Riggins recorded 35 tackles, including five for loss, nine pass deflections and 2.5 sacks playing defensive end last season, per MaxPreps.com. He also logged 359 all-purpose yards as a running back.

Other

18168943-mmmain.jpg

Northern Lights Could be Visible This Week in Upstate NY (PS; Coin)

The northern lights display could reach as far south as Upstate New York tonight and Wednesday night, but that's still uncertain.

"The predictions aren't stable enough to predict if we're going to see it tonight," said Damian Allis, director of CNY Observers.

At least one person captured the aurora on camera last night from Rochester, and social media is full of photos from the northern U.S., including Vermont. (See photos below.) Allis said it was too cloudy last night in Central New York to see the lights.

Skies should be mostly clear tonight, but the aurora is likely to be less strong than last night. The moon is a quarter full, which also adds light to the sky and makes it harder to see.

Allis recommends getting away from city lights.

"You want to go north and you want to go dark," he said. "The Adirondacks is great, and there's that big black area between Rochester and Syracuse."

Local spots include north of Oneida Lake and at the windmills in the Madison County town of Fenner, he said.

The iridescent northern lights, or aurora borealis, are caused by geomagnetic rays blasting from the sun and striking the Earth's atmosphere. The sun emitted a major burst of energy Monday, and could emit another one later this week, according to the national Space Weather Prediction Center.

Last edited:

Great update on Steve. Sounds like a hard worker - that added strength will help a lot. Hopefully we can get him the ball on a consistent basis which means we need other guys to develop into consistent weapons also to take some of the heat off him.

I know that I'm opening myself up to a flame, but just what was inaccurate about the column?

1. "it's a cold circle of concrete up on a hill with little parking, so-so food and bathrooms that leave one pining for a tree in the woods." TRUE

2. "[The Dome] that houses bland football, has been relatively abandoned by both SU's students and the Central New York fan base and, thus, has been drained of its juju." TRUE

3. "Coyle — who must work against a tepid economy and a shrinking population — will need to roll up his sleeves to crack the code that Daryl Gross, try as he might, could not." TRUE

4. Rex Culpepper: "It was the loudest place I ever heard, and I played 20 years of football." TRUE

5. "This, because the Dome was once a pit. And the place could be, needs to be, again. The safe bet is that Mark Coyle is already on it." FROM Bud's article to God's ears/eyes.

Bud is a throw-back sports writer from the era of news print and his flowery prose doesn't resonate that well today. But again I ask, where did he miss the mark with the five quotes? That's why we have a new AD and sometimes the truth hurts.

I know that I'm opening myself up to a flame, but just what was inaccurate about the column?

1. "it's a cold circle of concrete up on a hill with little parking, so-so food and bathrooms that leave one pining for a tree in the woods." TRUE

2. "[The Dome] that houses bland football, has been relatively abandoned by both SU's students and the Central New York fan base and, thus, has been drained of its juju." TRUE

3. "Coyle — who must work against a tepid economy and a shrinking population — will need to roll up his sleeves to crack the code that Daryl Gross, try as he might, could not." TRUE

4. Rex Culpepper: "It was the loudest place I ever heard, and I played 20 years of football." TRUE

5. "This, because the Dome was once a pit. And the place could be, needs to be, again. The safe bet is that Mark Coyle is already on it." FROM Bud's article to God's ears/eyes.

Bud is a throw-back sports writer from the era of news print and his flowery prose doesn't resonate that well today. But again I ask, where did he miss the mark with the five quotes? That's why we have a new AD and sometimes the truth hurts.
His content about SU always has a negative slant. That's the problem.

agree i didnt see much false statement in the article.

Fat, dumb and bitter is no way to go through life son. Bud thinks of himself as a Shakespearean renaissance man, stuck in our cold burg due to the machinations of the journo-ism gods. Clearly, the editors at SI and ESPN do not understand genius.

Last edited: