Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
t1larg_chips.jpg

Welcome to National Chocolate Chips Day!

Chip, chip hooray! - August 4 is National Chocolate Chips Day!

Chopping up a chocolate bar into little morsels and putting them in a batch of cookie dough may be one of the best ideas Ruth Graves Wakefield of the Toll House Inn ever had. Since we don't know dear Ruth, it's safe to say that chocolate chip cookies are one of the best American creations to date.

But don't stop with cookies! You can pop these in pancakes, waffles, crêpes, pies, muffins, cakes or just pop them in your mouth right out of the bag (we aren't ones to judge). Or how about 100 ways to use chocolate chips to whet your inspirational appetite?

If your own prized cookie recipe requires the attendance of all-important chocolate chips, carry on! Otherwise, you may want to take a gander at this fine rendition from iReporter Cynthia Falardeau's grandmother:

SU News

B8350AkCIAAjyX9.jpg:large

2016 Florida Safety Craig Watts Jr Receives Offer From Syracuse (twitter)

Could Teammates Help Flip Colon, Peek to Orange? (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Syracuse Orange football did pretty well from a recruiting standpoint last week. With 14 players (15 if you count Brandon Ginnetti right now) committed for the class of 2016 and 19 total spots available, those last five names will be critical in defining the overall success of this potential incoming group. Will those final names be even bigger fish, or just your standard SU recruits?

Based almost entirely on speculation, expect big names to be the focus first and foremost. One is 4-star safety Eric Burrell, who is currently uncommitted. And another could beformer Wisconsin commit Cycoby Burch. But two more, 3-star defensive tackles Christian Colon and Bo Peek, would need to be flipped to Syracuse. Thankfully, the Orange could have some help doing so...

We've been over the defensive line a little (and later this week, we'll cover even more). The presiding issue there is depth, and so far, the Orange have added just two names to help fix that for 2016 -- Noel Brouse and Jamal Holloway (who could end up at OLB) -- which means they could still use a couple more. Enter Colon and Peek, who are currently committed to Penn State and Stanford, respectively, and are both ranked among the top 50 defensive tackle prospects in the country.

Colon, as you know, is a close friend of both Robert Washington and Moe Neal, and he's said himself that Neal joining RW at 'Cuse would force him to consider SU. Well, now that Moe's headed to the Hill too, he's already said he'll actively try to flip Colon -- though there's an additional caveat there. If Colon even visits Syracuse, Penn State will pull his offer. You can debate how right/wrong that policy is, but I suppose if you're Penn State or another, similar school you can probably get away with it. But assuming he ends up visiting -- which means he wouldn't go to Penn State -- you'd have to think SU would assume the inside track over fellow finalists North Carolina, Maryland and UCLA.

We've heard little about Peek since he committed to Stanford back in February. Until today, anyway, when we found out he was transferring to Plant High School in Tampa, Fla. You know, the same place that's already home to 2016 commits Scoop Bradshaw andRex Culpepper currently play. Of course, we've yet to hear any plans on flipping him from the Cardinal, but having two of his now-teammates headed up to New York could potentially have some appeal. Back when the Orange were in the running for him, Peek was recruited by Tim Lester (who also led the charge on Culpepper). It wouldn't be terribly surprising to see Rex (and Scoop) at least try to reopen that door and get the highly-regarded tackle to take another look at Syracuse.

usa-today-8365536.0.jpg

Is Syracuse Really Talking to Wisconsin About a Football Series? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

I just wrote about the news that Big Ten schools will be dropping FCS opponents from future schedules and how that might mean more games against theSyracuse Orange in the future. I also had a very specific idea of which Big Ten schools I'd prefer to see on SU's future schedules and which ones I would prefer not to, at least until we're back at a point when it's likely we can compete.

NunesMagician.com @NunesMagician
Dear Indiana, Purdue & Northwestern: Please call us. Dear Ohio State, Michigan State & Wisconsin: Lose our number.

6:56 PM - 31 Jul 2015

My cries apparently fell on deaf ears.

According to Madison.com, the Wisconsin Badgers and Syracuse are "in talks" about an upcoming football series.

This is not what I had in mind.

Wisky isn't LSU but they're not all that far off either. They're still very capable of taking us behind the woodshed and beating us silly, especially at home. Assuming it would be a home-and-home, this is a series that gives Syracuse very little chance of winning a game, let alone saving face. We're talking about a program that's won 11 games in a season three times in the last five years. It's exactly the kind of program Syracuse doesn't need on the non-conference schedule right now.

Now, details are scarce so as far as we know these talks are preliminary. They may have even been talks that were going on before Mark Coyle was hired and perhaps Coyle will look at the state of things and realize "this is a dumb idea, you guys." We'll see.

A ranking of the softest non-conference schedules came out today. It includes NC State, Baylor and Rutgers (of course). It's not the best designation to have, but as you scroll the list, realize that almost all of those teams are going to go to a bowl game this season, thanks in part to their non-conference schedule. I'll say it 'til I'm orange & blue in the face but Syracuse should try to be trying to make this list for a couple season, instead of doing everything it can to make a football resurrection as hard as possible.

usa-today-8056825.0.jpg

Ranking the Top 25 Teams SU Has Never Faced (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Last week, we noticed that Syracuse Orange football is slated to face three different top 25 teams in 2015: Florida State, Clemson and LSU. Now, SU has faced top 25 teams before -- including all three of those at various points in the past.

Looking at the USA Today Coaches' Poll again, though, how many of those programs has Syracuse NEVER faced? And further, let's rank those programs by how much we'd actually want to face them. (H/T EDSBS)

Note: This would comprise a nightmare schedule for me, I'm aware, if all of these teams were included in the same season. There is no winner when the Orange schedule tough. Just bitter despair.

On to the teams, RANKED:

1. Stanford
We traded Twitter handles once. But other than that, the two schools with the same logo have had minimal contact. I'm a long-time proponent of playing other private schools, even though a lot of them are in better football situations than us at the moment. Obviously this would end poorly for us, but I'd gladly send myself up to Palo Alto to watch the Orange play in my adopted state. The Card have a nice venue for football, with plenty of room for tailgating and a lot to see nearby too. If we have to dive into playing tough teams in our non-conference schedule, there are worse arrangements than this one -- despite how bad on-the-field results will be.

2. Mississippi
Do I really need to sell you on the Grove? Ole Miss is one of the best spots in all of college football to catch a game, and despite the mint any of us will have to pay to get a flight to Oxford, Miss., that atmosphere is well worth it. But as far as the game itself... this is where things could/will get messy. SU doesn't have the horses to run with the Rebels at this moment, and that defense would literally chew us up and spit us out. On the bright side: You'll get far too drunk before the game to feel that hurt later on.

3. Arkansas
Arkansas is supposed to be very good this year, and seems well equipped to continue improving after a several-year stay in the SEC West basement. But what we're focusing on here (more than game atmosphere or culture fit) is how the Hogs' style of play fits right into what Syracuse does. When you know you're going to lose, you're probably happier losing 16-10 while never feeling like you have a shot, versus 42-7, right? Well, then you want to head down to Fayetteville, Ark. to face the Razorbacks. They'll play in-the-trenches, defensively-minded ball all day, and maybe even give us a couple ideas on things we want to do better. This would definitely yield the closest score of the bunch.

Other

18466415-mmmain.jpg

Heavy Police Presence Expected at Cicero Target, But For a Good Cause (PS; O'Toole)

The Cicero Target store will be buzzing with police Tuesday, but for a good cause.

National Night Out, an annual event designed to strengthen communities by encouraging neighborhoods to engage in stronger relationships with each other and with local law enforcement agencies, is set from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Target store at 8061 Brewerton Road in the town of Cicero. The 32nd annual event is free and open to the public.

Onondaga County sheriff's deputies will conduct car seat inspections and answer child safety seat-related questions at the event. Cicero, Camillus, Manlius and Syracuse police departments, as well as the New York State Police, also will be at the event.

Visitors will get a glimpse of police vehicles and other equipment, including the sheriff's Air 1 helicopter. There also will be bounce houses, face painting, balloon making and other activities for children. Syracuse Crunch players and Otto the Orange mascot also will be at the event.

"This event is designed to bring the community together," sheriff's spokesman Jon Seeber said. "The community is able to talk to us outside an emergency situation, engage us and ask questions. It's also for the kids ... We want to emphasize that it's OK for kids to approach us and it's safe to talk to us."

Cicero, Clay and South Bay fire departments; members of the Wilderness Search and Rescue Team; the American Red Cross; Safe Kids of CNY; Onondaga County Department of Emergency Management; and the Onondaga County Health Department; also will be at the event.

Last edited:
Congratulations to one of my favorite posters.

Findlay, Woodruff Join Morrisville State Football Staff
(Morrisville, NY – Aug. 3, 2015) Morrisville State College head football coach Curt Fitzpatrick, announced the addition of Brett Findlay and Robert Woodruff to the Mustang staff for the upcoming 2015 season.

Findlay joins the coaching staff as a volunteer assistant coach responsible for tight ends.

He comes to the Mustang program from nearby Canastota High School, where he served as a varsity football coach for the past seven seasons. Findlay assisted the Raiders to three Section 3 Class C South Championships, claiming the outright title in 2010 and 2012. They were tri-champions in 2011.

Following his high school career, the Canastota native played two seasons of football for the St. John Fisher College Cardinals at running back before earning his degree in communications and journalism in 2006.

Woodruff joins the coaching staff as a volunteer assistant with the defensive line unit.

He comes to the Mustang program with a wealth of experience at various levels, including most recently a defensive coordinator position with Morrisville-Eaton High School. In all, he spent eight seasons with the high school program, serving in capacities of defensive coordinator, coach of the offensive and defensive lines.

Woodruff is a graduate of Morrisville State College, earning his degree in business administration.

Morrisville State will begin preseason camp August 12.

Wisconsin? What about tOSU? Urban must be trying to duck us.

Mark Coyle, please bring some common sense to football scheduling before the "talks" with Wisconsin snowball into something that catches fire.