Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2-emma-nutt.jpg

Welcome to Emma M Nutt Day!

Emma M. Nutt Day celebrates the first woman telephone operator in America.

Emma Nutt became the first woman telephone operator on September 1, 1878. She loved the job, and worked at it for 33 years.

This special day celebrates the world of telephone operators. It was a very important job for many decades. Today, the position has been eliminated being replaced by automation in telephone systems.

A little side note about Emma: According to Emma, she was "very thankful that my first name was not Imma".

SU News

bilde

Tyler Thompson

Recruiting Roundup: Who Will SU Pursue Now That Robert Washington is Out? (thejuice; Cheng)

Before we get to the recruiting links today, I wanted to first start off by sending my best wishes to Syracuse legend Pearl Washington. Peter Vecsey tweeted that Washington has a malignant brain tumor, which could not be entirely removed during brain surgery. Please continue to show your support for him by using the hashtag #PrayersForPearl. It is on that sad note that we proceed to the recruiting links for the day…

The fall out from the Robert Washington decommitment has begun. Syracuse is in the market for a featured back, and there are a couple of options around. ’s Scott Brown says that Kansas State commit Tre Bryant is still solid in his commitment. He spurned SU earlier in the year because he wanted to be a featured back, but was only recruited for the hybrid position.

Another option could be one time Syracuse target and Illinois RB Kentrail Moran. But Morantweeted “we still good” with a picture of the Illinois logo in the background on Sunday. Moranannounced his commitment in March over Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Northern Illinois andSyracuse.

» Related: Impact of Robert Washington decommiting from Syracuse

Expect Syracuse to renew their pursuit of Ocean Township (NJ) running back Tyler Thompson.Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey caught up with Thompson on Monday, and Thompson mentioned he hadn’t heard from Syracuse since the start of summer, but that will probably change soon.Thompson has high interest in the Orange, but Bailey warns that his academics will need to improve. He also has offers from Temple, Old Dominion and Boston College.

One final note on football: 2016 outside linebacker Davvel Moore-Meeks was profiled byAt their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Bill Greene. Moore-Meeks impressed in his opening game of the season, and discussed the latest in his recruiting process. “I have offers from Syracuse, Bowling Green and Toledo,” he explained. “My family and I talk about it every day, and I’m planning on visiting all three schools. I’m hoping this game gets some other schools interested in me as a player.”

large_pierce21.jpg

Jermaine Pierce, One of Many Highly Rated Players Who Did Not Work Out at Syracuse

SU Football Recruiting is a Numbers Game (TNIAAM; Tahmosh)

And here we are again at Syracuse. We get a big name recruit, we get excited, we start planning how he'll wear 44 - or not - and we think about how he'll save the program. This time, the top recruit didn't even make it to campus (Hi Zach Allen!). But even if he had, the odds of him being a program savior were slim at best.

This isn't a knock on Washington, or suddenly changing my tune to "good riddance." That would be idiotic. Syracuse needs talent, and you probably need four or five guys like Washington to end up with one or two impact players three years from now. So losing one is most certainly not good. We are not better off without him.

But look at some of the top players from the last 10 recruiting classes for Syracuse (from Rivals):

2005 - Lavar Lobdell (4 stars)

2006 - Adam Rosner, Andrey Baskin (4 stars)

2007 - Jermaine Pierce (4 stars)

2008 - Averin Collier, Mikhail Marinovich, Marcus Sales, Romale Tucker (4 stars)

2009 - Dale Peterman, Phillip Thomas, Derek Hines, Rishard Anderson (3 stars)

2010 - Marquis Spruill (4 stars)

2011 - Dyshawn Davis, Richie Desir, Cameron Lynch, Brandon Reddish (3 stars)

2012 - Julian Whigham, Ashton Broyld, Zian Jones, Myles Hilliard (3 stars)

2013 - Luke Arciniega, Corey Cooper, Austin Wilson, Corey Winfield (3 stars)

2014 - KJ Williams (4 stars), Steve Ishmael (3 stars)

Other

Advice to the SU Class of 2019 (TNIAAM.; Staff)

Today, the Class of 2019 begins their epic journey from the first official day as a student at Syracuse University towards a lifetime of being asked to donate money back to Syracuse because of it.

It's a special time in a young person's life. It can also be daunting and scary. So many new experiences and unknowns and they're all coming at you fast. And that's before you delve into the horrors that await you as a Syracuse sports fan.

The TNIAAM staff is here to help. Some of us attended SU, some didn't and some still do. Given that our statuses in the world are so different, we all come from a different POVs. Regardless, we've all got one piece of advice to share with you as you begin your life as an official Syracuse Orange. I'm sure the comments will provide even more...

John Cassillo

Find out who you are, and embrace it. Whoever that person may be, they're probably not the one you're arriving on campus as. You'll surprise yourself a thousand times over if you're willing to try new things and meet new people. Regarding the latter: it'll NEVER be easier to meet people than it will be over the next four years, so take advantage of it while you can. Some folks you meet could be temporary acquaintences. Or others, in my case, end up being your best friends and the person you vow to spend the rest of your life with (we met IN CLASS, by the way... so no, you don't have to rely on parties to find that person at all). Of course, enjoy yourself, and be sure to drink plenty (though do so responsibly). And above all (in my book): GET SEASON TICKETS TO FOOTBALL AND SUPPORT THE GODDAMN TEAM ALL SEASON.

Today D1 coaches can begin calling 2016 class ONCE a week. For 2017 class, D1 coaches can begin email and DM's but NO calls.

Recruiting data once again reveals that Robinson seemed to recruit fairly well - he attracted what at the time appeared to be very strong talent - especially that 2008 class.

OrangeXtreme said:

A touching moment of introspection caught on camera before the start of the season. ;)

This is an amazing story.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a young player who presents in the way this kid does - he sounds like a coach and seems to have the maturity of a thirty year old.

That the players respect a guy who has only been with the program for one year to such a degree is remarkable.

2-emma-nutt.jpg

Welcome to Emma M Nutt Day!

Emma M. Nutt Day celebrates the first woman telephone operator in America.

Emma Nutt became the first woman telephone operator on September 1, 1878. She loved the job, and worked at it for 33 years.

This special day celebrates the world of telephone operators. It was a very important job for many decades. Today, the position has been eliminated being replaced by automation in telephone systems.

A little side note about Emma: According to Emma, she was "very thankful that my first name was not Imma".

SU News

bilde

Tyler Thompson

Recruiting Roundup: Who Will SU Pursue Now That Robert Washington is Out? (thejuice; Cheng)

Before we get to the recruiting links today, I wanted to first start off by sending my best wishes to Syracuse legend Pearl Washington. Peter Vecsey tweeted that Washington has a malignant brain tumor, which could not be entirely removed during brain surgery. Please continue to show your support for him by using the hashtag #PrayersForPearl. It is on that sad note that we proceed to the recruiting links for the day…

The fall out from the Robert Washington decommitment has begun. Syracuse is in the market for a featured back, and there are a couple of options around. . . . . . . . . . . ’s Scott Brown says that Kansas State commit Tre Bryant is still solid in his commitment. He spurned SU earlier in the year because he wanted to be a featured back, but was only recruited for the hybrid position.

Another option could be one time Syracuse target and Illinois RB Kentrail Moran. But Morantweeted “we still good” with a picture of the Illinois logo in the background on Sunday. Moranannounced his commitment in March over Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Northern Illinois andSyracuse.

» Related: Impact of Robert Washington decommiting from Syracuse

Expect Syracuse to renew their pursuit of Ocean Township (NJ) running back Tyler Thompson.Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey caught up with Thompson on Monday, and Thompson mentioned he hadn’t heard from Syracuse since the start of summer, but that will probably change soon.Thompson has high interest in the Orange, but Bailey warns that his academics will need to improve. He also has offers from Temple, Old Dominion and Boston College.

One final note on football: 2016 outside linebacker Davvel Moore-Meeks was profiled by. . . . . . . . . ’s Bill Greene. Moore-Meeks impressed in his opening game of the season, and discussed the latest in his recruiting process. “I have offers from Syracuse, Bowling Green and Toledo,” he explained. “My family and I talk about it every day, and I’m planning on visiting all three schools. I’m hoping this game gets some other schools interested in me as a player.”

large_pierce21.jpg

Jermaine Pierce, One of Many Highly Rated Players Who Did Not Work Out at Syracuse

SU Football Recruiting is a Numbers Game (TNIAAM; Tahmosh)

And here we are again at Syracuse. We get a big name recruit, we get excited, we start planning how he'll wear 44 - or not - and we think about how he'll save the program. This time, the top recruit didn't even make it to campus (Hi Zach Allen!). But even if he had, the odds of him being a program savior were slim at best.

This isn't a knock on Washington, or suddenly changing my tune to "good riddance." That would be idiotic. Syracuse needs talent, and you probably need four or five guys like Washington to end up with one or two impact players three years from now. So losing one is most certainly not good. We are not better off without him.

But look at some of the top players from the last 10 recruiting classes for Syracuse (from Rivals):

2005 - Lavar Lobdell (4 stars)

2006 - Adam Rosner, Andrey Baskin (4 stars)

2007 - Jermaine Pierce (4 stars)

2008 - Averin Collier, Mikhail Marinovich, Marcus Sales, Romale Tucker (4 stars)

2009 - Dale Peterman, Phillip Thomas, Derek Hines, Rishard Anderson (3 stars)

2010 - Marquis Spruill (4 stars)

2011 - Dyshawn Davis, Richie Desir, Cameron Lynch, Brandon Reddish (3 stars)

2012 - Julian Whigham, Ashton Broyld, Zian Jones, Myles Hilliard (3 stars)

2013 - Luke Arciniega, Corey Cooper, Austin Wilson, Corey Winfield (3 stars)

2014 - KJ Williams (4 stars), Steve Ishmael (3 stars)

Other

Advice to the SU Class of 2019 (TNIAAM.; Staff)

Today, the Class of 2019 begins their epic journey from the first official day as a student at Syracuse University towards a lifetime of being asked to donate money back to Syracuse because of it.

It's a special time in a young person's life. It can also be daunting and scary. So many new experiences and unknowns and they're all coming at you fast. And that's before you delve into the horrors that await you as a Syracuse sports fan.

The TNIAAM staff is here to help. Some of us attended SU, some didn't and some still do. Given that our statuses in the world are so different, we all come from a different POVs. Regardless, we've all got one piece of advice to share with you as you begin your life as an official Syracuse Orange. I'm sure the comments will provide even more...

John Cassillo

Find out who you are, and embrace it. Whoever that person may be, they're probably not the one you're arriving on campus as. You'll surprise yourself a thousand times over if you're willing to try new things and meet new people. Regarding the latter: it'll NEVER be easier to meet people than it will be over the next four years, so take advantage of it while you can. Some folks you meet could be temporary acquaintences. Or others, in my case, end up being your best friends and the person you vow to spend the rest of your life with (we met IN CLASS, by the way... so no, you don't have to rely on parties to find that person at all). Of course, enjoy yourself, and be sure to drink plenty (though do so responsibly). And above all (in my book): GET SEASON TICKETS TO FOOTBALL AND SUPPORT THE GODDAMN TEAM ALL SEASON.

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I just noticed that the top player from the 2014 recruiting class - KJ Williams - is not on the East Mississippi Community College football roster. Doesn't look like he's going to college anywhere right now.

Recruiting data once again reveals that Robinson seemed to recruit fairly well - he attracted what at the time appeared to be very strong talent - especially that 2008 class.

The data is misleading. Like his predecesor, Coach P, Robinson took a lot of highly rated players who never made it to SU. He was an OK recruiter, but struggled bringing in players at multiple key positions. And his recruiting prowess was over-inflated as a function of several highly rated players who either never played at SU or made a minimal impact relative to their recruiting rating.

Factor in the undisputed fact that he was the worst head coach in program history, and ran the program into the ground, and it is tough to find a silver lining in his overinflated recruiting ratings. He was a nice guy, though.

The data is misleading. Like his predecesor, Coach P, Robinson took a lot of highly rated players who never made it to SU. He was an OK recruiter, but struggled bringing in players at multiple key positions. And his recruiting prowess was over-inflated as a function of several highly rated players who either never played at SU or made a minimal impact relative to their recruiting rating.

Factor in the undisputed fact that he was the worst head coach in program history, and ran the program into the ground, and it is tough to find a silver lining in his overinflated recruiting ratings. He was a nice guy, though.

"Like Coach P?"

Really?

Pasqualoni recruited for 13 years.

And, he brought in some pretty good players - McNabb, Bulluck, Spotwood, K. Johnson, Freeney, Konrad and on and on and on.

Plus, he won over 100 games and went to nine or ten bowl games, including two Fiesta Bowls and an Orange Bowl.

You just can't talk about him while talking about Robinson.

The point is that even with the poor record, Robinson did bring in a decent number of rated players including Lobdell, Sales, and others who actually played on the Hill.

"Like Coach P?"

Really?

Pasqualoni recruited for 13 years.

And, he brought in some pretty good players - McNabb, Bulluck, Spotwood, K. Johnson, Freeney, Konrad and on and on and on.

Plus, he won over 100 games and went to nine or ten bowl games, including two Fiesta Bowls and an Orange Bowl.

You just can't talk about him while talking about Robinson.

The point is that even with the poor record, Robinson did bring in a decent number of rated players including Lobdell, Sales, and others who actually played on the Hill.
When Marrone took over, he said that we were the smallest and slowest team in the Big East. Individual players aside, that was the roster GRob left his successor.