Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
6ccc9b2e0a42741a422a60dc15bbaabc.png

Welcome to National Welsh Rarebit Day!!

It’s National Welsh Rarebit Day! Welsh rarebit is toast with hot cheese poured over it. It is often served as a pub snack.

The origins of this dishes' name are unclear. The Welsh term “rarebit” most probably means “rabbit.” Why would cheesy toast be called rabbit? The title is likely just a playful way to poke fun at the dish and those who eat it—much in the same way that “mock turtle soup” is not actually made from turtle.

Today, Welsh rarebit is a popular dish across Europe and in certain parts of the rest of the world. If you've never had Welsh rarebit before, National Welsh Rarebit Day is a great opportunity to try it for the first time!

SU News

18670675-mmmain.jpg

SU AD Mark Coyle on Scott Shafer" 'Everyone Wants an Answer Now' (PS; Carlson)

Scott Shafer has one good year under his belt. He has one very bad one. And, as we embark on his third season leading the Syracuse football team, the rush to judge him has begun.

There are those already eager to proclaim Shafer unfit to lead the Syracuse football team. There are those already preaching he needs more time for his recruiting classes to bloom. And then there is Syracuse athletic director Mark Coyle, who has been officially on the job for about six weeks now and who, ultimately, will be charged with deciding which side is right.

For now, Coyle preaches patience, walking a middle road, cautioning against a leap to conclusions and insisting that if we'll all just wait until the year's 12 games are actually played, we'll arrive at a much greater understanding.

"Everyone wants an answer now, right?" Coyle said. "That's how society is. My message to Scott was, 'It's not a sprint. We're going to play 12 games. If we're successful in those 12 games we'll get a 13th game, maybe a 14th.' ... Everyone needs to take a deep breath and start playing the games, and then we'll evaluate from there."

The evaluation of Shafer, through two seasons, has been mixed. Shafer exceeded expectations in his first season, then failed to live up to his own lofty hopes last year when a 3-9 campaign reversed the positive momentum enjoyed by the program for most of the previous five seasons.

Last year's run of injuries and horrific offense sends Syracuse into the pivotal third year of Shafer's head coaching career with low expectations and with the Syracuse head coach listed on the "hot seat" by a variety of national publications.

B9318622226Z.1_20150902114850_000_GLFBKLVD1.1-0.jpg

Sadiq Palmer is a Constant Threat for Red Bank (app.com; Parker)

Playing in the Shore Conference Class B North is no easy task, but it has been nothing but improvement year in and year out for Red Bank head coach Nick Giglio and his Bucs.

After finishing last season at 5-5, the Bucs have their sights set on the NJSIAA playoffs this season.

A push to improve last season’s record and qualify for the playoffs will likely be led by 6-foot-2 senior wide receiver Sadiq Palmer.

Last year, was a breakout year for Palmer. He finished the season with 36 catches for 748 yards, to go along with his seven touchdowns. He is a threat to opponents in many ways. He finished the season with 13 total touchdowns from receiving, interceptions, rushing and kickoff returns.

It’s something that caught the eye of Syracuse University recruiting coordinator and former Monmouth and Marlboro head coach Bobby Acosta, who made an offer to Palmer over the summer.

Palmer was quick to make a non-binding verbal commitment to Syracuse.

“I felt the love from the coaches there right away,” Palmer said. “It felt like I was home there. That’s what I liked most about the visit.”

Although Giglio will be looking for others to step up on the offensive side of the ball besides Palmer, it will be an added bonus to have his star wideout playing without the burden of deciding on where to continue his career next fall.

681G3076_01.MOV.Still001.jpg

Preview of Lakewood Football, Who Features SU RB Target Amir Tyler (app.com; Parker)

3. LAKEWOOD: Amir Tyler has always been talented, but always a second option in the running attack of the Lakewood High School football team.

Now, with the standout running quarterbacks the Piners have had in the past few years in Tyrice Beverette and Chapelle Cook having moved on to collegiate football, it is Tyler’s turn to be the main option in the Piners’ running attack.

“Him getting the majority of the carries is a recipe for a good season.’’ Lakewood coach L.J. Clark said.

Clark said Tyler rushed for around 800 yards last season while getting about half the attempts Cook, who ran for around 1,200 yards, had.

Tyler, also a standout defensive back is being recruited by NCAA Division I schools at several positions, Clark said.

The University of Pittsburgh and Army are recruiting Tyler as an athlete, Clark said. Old Dominion and Syracuse are recruiting Tyler as a running back and Temple is recruiting him as a safety, Clark said.

“Any time you’ve got a player of Amir’s caliber, who is ranked in the top 15 in New Jersey, you feel you’ve got a lot coming back,’’ Clark said.

Tyler will have an experienced offensive line to run behind. Three starters return up front in Elijah Gill, Isaih Francis and Josh Lezin.

Welsh Rarebit...yummy...especially this time of year with the added ingredient of tomatoes fresh from the garden.

Even Teel has to mention the Kiwi story at the end of the article.

IMG_0647.jpg

Rhode Island Embraces Evan Huddon, 15-Year-Old with Spinal Defect, as Member of the Team (DO; Fortier)

It’s a gray, cloudy day at the University of Rhode Island. The Rams football team is stretching for an intrasquad scrimmage. Two dozen fans dot the mostly empty bleachers.

One player on the roster — who won’t appear in the scrimmage, or ever for URI — shimmies down the sidelines, shaking hands and sharing hugs.

“If you ever need a smile, look at Evan,” Selwyn Nicholas, a defensive end, said. “He never stops smiling.”

Evan Huddon is 15. In a few days, he starts high school. Yet he’s on the sidelines, dressed in his dark blue Rams uniform. He’s number one. Only Evan is allowed to wear it.

Evan has been an honorary Ram since URI football drafted him in 2013. He was born with spina bifida, a spinal cord defect that left him paralyzed from his lowest abdominal level down. He moves, constantly, in his electric wheelchair.

Evan came to the Rams via Team IMPACT, an organization which matches special needs children to local college teams. He attends all URI home games, but will cheer from home when Rhode Island travels to Syracuse for its season opener Friday at 7 p.m. While Evan now has the Rams as his second family, he fought through 22 surgeries and tubes in his stomach for his moment on draft day.

DO Football Preview Articles:

082915_S_luke_DavidSalanitri_SP.jpg

Father Time: The Story of Luke Arciniega (DO; Dougherty)

All spring, Luke Arciniega was preparing for a season that could have never come.

He attacked a switch to defensive end with abandon, marrying himself to his playbook while reshaping a decade of linebacker training. He added muscle in the weight room. Then more muscle. A bag of protein sat next to his bed in his University Village apartment. Another in the kitchen. Everything geared toward a football career that may have finally slipped through his fingers.

Injuries had run Arciniega’s eligibility dry and there was a chance he’d played his last college game against Louisville on Oct. 3, 2014. Then he was in Syracuse’s athletic compliance office one afternoon last March and a staff member congratulated him.

“Wait, did I just ruin it?” they asked.

“I don’t know, what did you ruin?” Arciniega answered.

Soon Arciniega learned that, after months of hoping and waiting, he’d been granted two additional years of eligibility from the NCAA. He immediately called his parents, sister and girlfriend. When he got back to his apartment he joked to his roommate, former SU linebacker Josh Kirkland, that he’d be at Syracuse long enough to get a Ph.D.

“No way,” Kirkland said to him. “You were only expecting to get one year back.”

082915_S_whigham_DavidSalanitri_SP.jpg

His Ball: Sr CB Julian Whigham Transforms to Improve Play on Field (DO; Schwedelson)

Julian Whigham received a text message from defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough at 5:30 a.m. similar to others he received throughout the summer.

“It’s your ball,” the text read.

Whigham doesn’t respond with a message of his own, but instead heeds Bullough’s advice on the practice field.

“It just kind of gets your mind right when you get up out of bed,” Whigham said.

Whigham’s all about football from the moment he wakes up, and the texts justify his overhauled lifestyle this offseason. Everything he’s done has been to change what happened last season and Bullough’s texts serve as the reminder: Last year, it wasn’t his ball.

Whigham structured his routines off the field in order to regain his confidence on it. How Whigham, a cornerback, matches up against the conference’s best receivers will determine if it paid off.

082915_S_hunt_DavidSalanitri_SP.jpg

Clear Vision: Terrel Hunt Prepares for His Final Year as SU QB (DO; Blum)

Hunt grows more comfortable in leadership role following lost season as he enters his final shot as Syracuse’s quarterback

Take away the fans. Take away the media. Take away the pressure. Terrel Hunt spent the summer on the Syracuse practice fields testing his teammates. The only eyes watching were his, trying to get everyone else to think the way he thought.

“Run a seam route,” he’d instruct, knowing the defense was positioned to ensure it wouldn’t work. He’d set his receivers up to fail, but hope they’d adjust their route and break off quicker so he could feed them the ball.

When Hunt lined up the offense, he told receiver Steve Ishmael to call out the type of defense they were opposing. Usually Ishmael was right, but when he was wrong, Hunt wouldn’t say a word, instead letting the failure breed success in the future.

Hunt knows how to get the most out of his teammates. He knows that if he wants to call out Ron Thompson, he better do it with no one else in earshot. He knows that with other players, being honest in front of everyone makes them motivated to work even harder.

“I always want them to think they can talk to me about anything, they can tell me, ’T-Hunt, you not doing well.’ But nobody ever has to tell me that, because I do my job,” Hunt said “…Nobody ever gets on my case because I don’t allow them to…If I’m doing more than you, you can’t say anything to me.”

082915_S_foy_DavidSalanitri_SP.jpg

Changing Stance: Ivan Foy Prepares for Position Switch After Learning From Past Obstacles (DO; Schneidman)

Paola Foy was getting ready to leave the house when her mother called in a panic.

It was Winter Break in 2013, just after Paola’s older brother and Syracuse’s starting right tackle, Ivan, helped the Orange to a 21-17 win over Minnesota in the Texas Bowl.

He was sleeping in bed, so Paola woke him up, confused why her mother feared for his future after getting off the phone with SU head coach Scott Shafer. But Ivan knew. He tried explaining to his sister that he’d been suspended from all team activities for failing a class in the fall, but words wouldn’t come out. He stayed in the same spot in bed for six hours, looking up at the ceiling, wondering if he’d ever play football for Syracuse again.

“I wanted to die,” Foy’s mother, Ramona Santana said. “When the coach called me and told me that, I wanted to die.”

Foy openly talks about his bumps in the road. The immaturity as a freshman third-stringer. The academic struggles that threatened his future at Syracuse. The six-game absence last season because of a right knee injury that deflated his morale.

They’ve helped mold the fifth-year senior working to perfect the intricacies of a new position after switching from right tackle to left. It’s a challenge belittled by past obstacles, but one that could validate Foy’s career in the last chance to do so.

Other

a5Courtesy.jpg

Final Exam: VT Sr QB Michael Brewer Looks to Improve in 2nd Final Year in ACC (DO; Grossman)

Michael Brewer needed to take his mind off football.

He transferred to Virginia Tech two months before starting at quarterback last season, forcing him to spend four to six hours a day during the summer digesting his new playbook.

His only reprieve came during Fourth of July weekend, fishing under 90-degree skies in Islamorada, Fla.

Brewer’s tosses were his fishing line into the Atlantic Ocean. The highlight reel catch came in the form of a 150-pound tarpon jumping six feet out of the water.

“Michael didn’t think one thing about football,” Brewer’s father, Robert, said. “He didn’t run into anybody that knew who he was or asked about football.

“We never even talked about it.”

The silence sealed off fresh memories from a 7-6 Virginia Tech season that Brewer called a “constant struggle,” equipped with just a two-month crash course in the playbook before training camp.

The time for excuses is over, Brewer said, and he’s overcome the adversity of abandoning his family’s deep Texas football roots because of an injury in his third season at Texas Tech. A season of experience and commitment to offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler’s intensive teaching methods, including take-home tests, have Brewer primed for a rebound season.

Last Leg: SUNY Albany Kicker Toole Earns Schoalrship in His Final Season (DO: Libonati)

Sitting on the field with three minutes left at a high school showcase game, Patrick Toole looked at his lower leg bent in the shape of an L.

It wasn’t shock or pain that hit Toole when his tibia and fibula snapped, but the long-term reality that hit him hardest.

“I thought my career was over before I even really got to begin in college,” Toole said. “… especially for a kicker, someone who breaks their leg. That’s all they have.”

Toole’s injury stole his opportunity to walk across the stage at his high school graduation — instead he rolled across in a wheelchair. It robbed him of a chance to show off his kicking ability to the coaches at Temple, his first college destination.

But it also helped him land at Albany, the first college Toole has stayed at for more than one year. The drive to Albany takes about an hour and a half from his house, but to get there and to earn a scholarship in his final season, it’s taken three years, two one-year trials at Tennessee and Temple and a year off from organized football at Erie Community College.

Last edited:
11934626_754994321290267_1834432456_n.jpg

I love this picture. Especially that helmet of hair Arlene Alaimo Vanderlind is wearing.

No concussions for her!

11849325_524458947702568_1159045046_n.jpg

Photo of Archbold Taken About 1910. The old grandstand was on the south side of the stadium...

Linkage

Welsh Rarebit...yummy...especially this time of year with the added ingredient of tomatoes fresh from the garden.
You guys are killing me. Cheese is verboten on my new low-saturated-fat cholesterol-reducing diet (which actually worked).

And I'm 25% Welsh to boot.

What kind of cheese is used in Welsh rarebit?

What kind of cheese is used in Welsh rarebit?

I use Campbell soup cheddar cheese with milk added. Also good over broccoli if you have someone with a vegetable aversion in the family. ;)

I use Campbell soup cheddar cheese with milk added. Also good over broccoli if you have someone with a vegetable aversion in the family. ;)

Might go well with Haggis.