Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
nationallowercaseday-e1381726527981.jpg

Welcome to national lowercase day!

While keyboarding teachers and bosses probably won’t be participating in this particular holiday anytime soon, texters will probably appreciate today’s annual celebration. October 14 is national lowercase day!

Rules of capitalizationcan often be quite confusing. While you are supposed to capitalize proper nouns, months and days of the week, you are not supposed to capitalize the seasons except when used in a title. And speaking of titles, they have special rules too. Job titles should be capitalized when used before a name or after the name in a signature line. But if the title is after a person’s name, it should be lowercase. First and last words in titles of publications along with nouns, adjectives and verbs should be capitalized but articles, coordinating conjunctions and prepositions should not. Some say determining whether or not to capitalize depends on how many letters are in the word. Geesh - who can keep it all straight?

Who needs to waste valuable time capitalizing certain words anyway? So go ahead - live a little. Turn off that auto-correct and don’t hit the Caps Lock key today! Just be sure to put everything back to normal tomorrow!

Happy lowercase day! And speaking ofh olidays, today is also National Dessert Day, National Chocolate-Covered Insect Day and Be Bald and Free Day!

SU News

5414c76bbd34c.image.jpg

WR Dowling Eager to Help Virginia (dailyprogress.com; Ramspacher)

Doni Dowling’s “leap of faith” was a three-foot drop off “some bricks” in front of a University of Virginia dormitory and into a “snowpile.”

Eight months after the UVa sophomore receiver tore his ACL because of a “foolish mistake,” Dowling didn’t save any detail during a Monday press conference at John Paul Jones Arena.

“The process of tearing the ACL is not the usual process,” he said. “Not during practice or workouts. It was actually recreational.”

Dowling made 17 catches for 141 yards last season, but the “couple snaps” he participated in at Pittsburgh last week counted for his first appearance in 2015.

A February storm kick-started his initial absence.

“It happened to be an evening where we thought school would have been cancelled from the snowstorm coming,” Dowling recalled. “So a couple of guys thought we should go out and have some fun and play around in the snow.”

Dowling literally jumped into the wintry conditions, severely injuring his left knee in the process.

“It felt just like a hyperextension,” he said. “ ... I’ve always been told to just get up and run it off so I got up and ran it off...

USF Seeks to Build on Big Win Over Syracuse (tampabay.com; Knight)

The 60-minute CPR — Creative Plays for Receivers — that was performed Saturday at Raymond James Stadium successfully resuscitated the Bulls, but don't discharge them from urgency's corridors just yet.

Being revived is merely the first step, followed by rehab: positive steps, gradually improving vital signs, increased strength.

Or as it translates to USF football, building on a cornerstone victory with consecutive ones.

"I always tell our guys, winning can beget softness," coach Willie Taggart said after Saturday's 45-24 romp of Syracuse. "We don't want to be a soft football team."

Such is the next step in the Bulls' evolution. As recently as the Maryland game, Taggart indicated his team hadn't learned how to win. Having turned that figurative corner, they now find themselves in a staredown with another stern challenge: Learning how to handle winning...

16274066-mmmain.jpg

Concussions End AJ Long's Career Prematurely (lehighvalley.com; Joyce)

AJ Long's football career has come to an end.

The former Pius X quarterback and current Syracuse sophomore was disqualified from further participation in football and any other contact sport by the team's physician Tuesday after reviewing his concussion history.

Long has suffered multiple concussions while at Syracuse, according to a release from the school's athletic department.

"We appreciate AJ's hard work and the contributions he's made to our program," Orange head coach Scott Shafer said in a statement. "I look forward to watching him continue to grow both as a student and as a young man. I wish him the best."

The Bethlehem native did not play in a game this season, but made five starts last year, passing for 935 yards and four touchdowns.

Long spent two seasons at Pius X, earning Class A all-state honors as a sophomore in 2011 when he threw for 3,700 yards and 46 touchdowns. He then abruptly left the school and transferred to Friendship Christian School in Tennessee.

Free Article...
http://www.At their request, this n...rginia/story/1598954-no-huddle-no-urgency-uva

No Huddle: No Urgency for UVa Football
http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/styles/author/public/avatar/1314024.jpg?w=50&h=50&faces=true
Jacquie Franciulli
Yesterday at 6:35 PM
Michael Mooney was carted off the field in UVa's loss to Pittsburgh. Mooney was scheduled to receive an MRI on Monday, and according to Head Coach Mike London, he is "doubtful" for Saturday's game against Syracuse.

This is bad news for the 'Hoos, who are already suffering plenty of injuries on the line.

Here is the updated injury list:

Out for the season: Eric Tetlow, Ryan Doull and Jake Fieler

Injured and no timelie for return: Sadiq Olanrewaju, Michael Mooney, and Sean Karl.

At LT: Jack English, Eric Smith

At LG: Ross Burbank, Jack McDonald

At C: Jackson Matteo, John Pond

At RG: Jay Whitmire, Steven Moss

At RT: Eric Smith, Jay Whitmire

No Urgency; No Changes
Although the 'Hoos are 1-4 on the year, the Cavs told reporters on Monday they are not letting it affect them. On the contrary, London said he is proud of his team's resolve.

"The goal is to win football games. We all get it; I get it. That's what it's about, and the improvement of that is critical as well," London told reporters on Monday. "But there's no quit in this team. There's a tremendous amount of fight."

Even though London is on the proverbial hot seat this season and has a 1-4 start to the season, Matteo downplayed the environment around the team, saying nothing needs to change.

“No level of urgency. We don’t need to rush things. We don’t need to change anything," said Matteo. "Everyone in that locker room is doing everything they can to make sure that this team is successful. We’re not going to change anything. We’re this close, and we’re going to stick to our game plan, we’re going to do what we’ve been doing, and we’re going to successful.”

Playing for London
UVa wide receiver Donovan Dowling returned from a pair of knee injuries last Saturday in the loss against Pittsburgh. Dowling had just a few snaps in that game. Although the door remains open for the playmaker to possibly medical red-shirt, Dowling has a strong resolve to play this year.

“I felt if my coaches needed me,” Dowling told reporters. "I put trust in them because without them I wouldn’t be here. They wouldn’t steer me wrong. My family wanted me to redshirt. Other coaches that I really admire wanted me to redshirt. I hear ’em left and right.

"I have faith in my coaches, and I want to contribute to my team," he added. "Knowing there’s a lot going on and a lot on Coach London right now and his staff, and I love having them around, if I could do anything, I’m going to do what I can.”

When pressed by Daily Press' David Teel if his decision to play this year had anything to do with London's job status:

“Pretty much," answered Dowling. "I love Coach London and I love [UVa wide receivers coach] Coach [Marques] Hagans, who really put his neck out there to get me here...I’ll do what I can for them.”

Nicholson Changes Position
Demetrious Nicholson did not feature against Boise State due to a "medical" issue, according to Virginia. However, against Pittsburgh, Darious Latimore played corner, while Nicholson feature on the special teams unit.

London told reporters that Nicholson was 100% fit, and is expected to be featured with this team, but against Pitt, the coaches made the decision to go with Latimore.

True Freshman Stepping In
Virginia first year tight end Richard Burney made his debut against Pittsburgh. He is one of seven true freshmen who have played for the 'Hoos this year. London said he benefitted from the bye week, and is expected to play a role on the offense and special teams as the season continues.

"Richard Burney, we'll bring him into the field in terms of offensively what he can do," said London. "He can run - that's one thing. His opportunity, particularly from a special teams standpoint, and upgrading that area is something that was critical."

Andrew Brown and the Front
Virginia defensive tackle Andrew Brown has had an issue with his hand the last few weeks, but it seems the 'Hoos have found an answer.

"The hand issue was very uncomfortable wearing a big club," said London. "We finally got through that. Now he's back to just taping up his two knuckles, two fingers together there. He's one of the guys you talk about has to play more, will play more."

London also mentioned Myles Robinson, another true freshman, stepping up. "You talk about a guy who draws a double-team block to allow Micah Kiser or some of the other guys to make plays. Myles Robinson has done a really good job of doing that as well."

London also mentioned David Dean, Andre Miles-Redmond and Divante Walker as guys that have helped the Cavs defensive line.

Scouting Syracuse
For the third game this year, the 'Hoos will face a true freshman quarterback. Unlike the other two times, the Cavs are hoping for a better result when they face Syracuse signal caller Eric Dungey.

"Dungey is a complete guy," said London. "I believe he's number one in the ACC for passing efficiency. I think he's got seven touchdowns, maybe one interception. Threw the first one last week. He's very efficient with the ball. Because of the style of play, option style, he'll run the ball. He's got the where that he'll pitch it when he needs to.. he's a very good football player."

Time Set
UVa's game against the Orange will kickoff at 3:30 P.M.

The ACC also announced on Monday that the Cavaliers' game against North Carolina in Chapel Hill will also kickoff on 3:30 PM on October 24th. It will be broadcasted on Regional sports networks.

Thanks to Sean Kirst for years of outstanding writing and thought provoking articles. The PS will be worse for your absence.
Agreed. Sean is a great writer.

Devastating loss for the Post-Standard. They can't let people like Sean go...