Ev'rybody's talking about
John and Yoko, Timmy Leary, Rosemary
Tommy Smothers, Bobby Dylan, Tommy Cooper
Derek Taylor, Norman Mailer
Alan Ginsberg, Hare Krishna
Hare, Hare Krishna

All we are saying is give peace a chance

SU News

SU Football Primer: What to Know for NC State Week (DO; Schwedelson)

Syracuse (3-7, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) is coming off a 37-27 loss to No. 1 Clemson last Saturday and is gearing up to visit North Carolina State (6-4, 2-4) this upcoming Saturday at 12:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the ACC Network.

Follow all of The Daily Orange’s football coverage here or on Twitter @DOSports.

Middle of the pack

While N.C. State’s 6-4 record is above .500, four of those wins have come against Troy, Eastern Kentucky, Old Dominion and South Alabama. The other two came against Wake Forest, a team Syracuse beat in Week 2, and Boston College, a team that is 0-7 in conference play.

When the Wolfpack met the Orange in 2014, N.C. State won 24-17. SU held a 14-9 lead until late in the third quarter when North Carolina State returned an AJ Long interception 82 yards for a score.

Quarterback Jacoby Brissett is fifth in the ACC in passing yards with 2,007, running back Matt Dayes is fourth in the conference with 865 rushing yards and defensive end Mike Rose leads the ACC with 10 sacks.

Next man up

The Orange’s two-deep depth chart featured changes at defensive end and strong-side linebacker. Senior Rony Charles replaced suspended freshman Qaadir Sheppard as a backup defensive end. Sophomore linebacker Parris Bennett is not listed on the depth chart as junior Ted Taylor moved up to the first string at strong-side linebacker. Sophomore Jonathan Thomas moved up to the second string.

Quotes From Syracuse - Clemson Football Game (tigernet.com)

“Congratulations Syracuse, I thought they played their tails off. That’s just the nature of where we are right now. I told coach Shafer after the game he should be proud of his team. I thought they fought their tails off. We certainly made some critical mistakes and we can’t make some of the mistakes we’ve made and not expect them to take advantage of it. I’m really proud of our football team – a double digit win on the road. There were a lot of mistakes, and we really had to grind it out. Offensively, 570 yards of offense for the sixth game in a row, that’s a Clemson record, never been done before. We had a couple of big fumbles that cost us and that was probably the most disappointing thing. We had a couple of big first down conversions so we had some penalties and we gave those. At the end of the day, it was an unbelievable performance. Defensively, not our best performance – they had 240 yards rushing and a 97-yard drive. I was really disappointed with our overall performance on defense. All I know is that when you make the types of mistakes that we made tonight and still find a way to win, that’s the sign of a good football team.”

On what impressed him about Syracuse’s offense

"Their scheme with getting their run game going. They came in with the triple option and basically running some slip flow and cracking on the back. I thought their quarterback did a great job and played a big game for them. They had 250 yards rushing, that’s the stat of the night.”

On if Clemson took Syracuse too lightly:

“I don’t think you can let two or three guys making mistakes paint a broad picture. We had 570 yards of offense. It’s not a beauty pageant, this is football and all you need is one more point than the opponent. Everyone has good players and good coaches. We didn’t play Clemson football tonight. But at the end of the day, we played well enough to win.”

usa-today-8825836.0.jpg

You Either Fire or Extend Scott Shafer, There is No 'One More Year' (TNIAAM; Tahmosh)

After another 'moral victory' many fans may be looking for Scott Shafer to get one more year. But the Orange can't enter 2016 with a lame-duck coach, and Mark Coyle is going to need to make a decision, one way or another, on Shafer's future very soon.

There’s been a lot of talk around these parts on what to do with Shafer, as the team is now 6-16 over the past two seasons, and looking far closer (at least by record) to the team coached by Greg Robinson than the one inherited from his predecessor, Doug Marrone.

In the last few weeks, I’ve heard three schools of thought:

1. Shafer is terrible and should be fired
  2. Shafer is amazing and the doubters will be proven wrong in time
  3. Give him one more year to figure this out, and we'll decide then
After another close loss to a top-ranked Clemson team - a moral victory much in line with the loss to LSU earlier in the season - the tendency is to fall closer to option #3 and see if he can finally turn some of those moral victories into actual victories.

Unfortunately, these are not the actual options Mark Coyle faces when he looks at the situation, asNate Mink beat me to the punch a bit on this last week. Being a private university, we don’t have too much insight into the contract details for head coaches, but Scott Shafer indicated last week in his comments, that his contract has one more year remaining after this one, and that’s it.

So, given that information, Shafer could potentially come into 2016 as a lame-duck coach, unless something changes with his contract situation. That leaves Coyle with two real options when the 2015 season comes to a close:

1. Fire Scott Shafer
  2. Extend Scott Shafer's contract

Someone needs to tell Schwedelson, are you reading this kid, that Matt Dayes at State had an injury weeks ago and is out for the season.

Chandler Jones stats at Syracuse:

2009 2 sacks
2010 4 sacks
2011 4.5 sacks

In 2011, he was injured part of the year and only played in 7 games. And he went pro after his junior year. But still, he has the same number of sacks this season as he had his entire career at Syracuse. And there is a lot of football still to be played.

Not sure I can remember a Syracuse player who was so much better as a pro than he was in college. Maybe Jim Brown.

Chandler Jones stats at Syracuse:

2009 2 sacks
2010 4 sacks
2011 4.5 sacks

In 2011, he was injured part of the year and only played in 7 games. And he went pro after his junior year. But still, he has the same number of sacks this season as he had his entire career at Syracuse. And there is a lot of football still to be played.

Not sure I can remember a Syracuse player who was so much better as a pro than he was in college. Maybe Jim Brown.

He played injured against Wake at home, and as I recall still managed to seal the win. Most of the time he faced double and triple teams, if I am not mistaken.

He played injured against Wake at home, and as I recall still managed to seal the win. Most of the time he faced double and triple teams, if I am not mistaken.
He did return late in the season and played hurt to help the team, which I will always respect him for.

Still, his lack of major production at SU was a bit of a head scratcher.

When he was drafted in the first round by the Pats, it was a major surprise. Though in retrospect, it probably shouldn't have been...

UCF has hired Buffalo athletic director Danny White for the same position, according to USA Today’s Dan Wolken. White had been at Buffalo since 2012 and previously worked at Ole Miss as senior associate athletic director from 2009-12. Other stops in his career include Cal State-Fresno and Northern Illinois. While at Buffalo, White hired football coach Lance Leipold and men’s basketball coach Nate Oats in 2015. He also hired former hoops coach Bobby Hurley, who took the Bulls to the NCAA Tournament last season. Now, White must hire a football coach at UCF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom