Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Popcorn-Day-640x322.jpg

Welcome to National Popcorn Day!

The origins of this holiday are unknown. We have not found any information or documentation to confirm this is a true "National" day. But, don't let that pop (burst) your bubble, err pop your corn that is. It's a day to celebrate healthy (until you load it with salt and butter), and addicting popcorn.

Strangely, National Popcorn Day is in January, yet National Popcorn Month is October. According to tradition, it is celebrated on January 19th each year. There is some suggestion that Popcorn Day may, at one point, have been tied to the Superbowl. And, we found one reference to it being on January 30th.

On National Popcorn Day, we suggest you pop up some fresh popcorn, kick back and enjoy!

SU News

19520242-standard.jpg

Joshua Black Decommits From Illinois (news-gazette.com; Asmussen)

Commit changes mind. Class of 2016 defensive end Joshua Black decommitted from the Illinois football program Monday afternoon via a statement on Twitter.

The Machesney Park Harlem senior posted his intentions on his social media account with the one-sentence preface, “I have decommitted from the University of Illinois.”

In the brief statement, Black said he decided to rescind his commitment to Illinois “after a lot of time talking with my family,” and he thanked “the staff and coaches at the University of Illinois for everything they have done for me.”

passthru_imagecredit_Culpepper_Neal_Ruff.jpg

Syracuse Welcomes 3 Mid-Year Enrollees (watertowndailytimes.com)

Syracuse officially enrolled a trio of talented first-year players on Monday as head football coach Dino Babers announced quarterback Rex Culpepper, athlete Moe Neal and linebacker Kenneth Ruff will participate in spring practice. Culpepper threw for 2,016 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior to lead Plant High School (Fla.) to the 2014 Class 8A regional semifinals. He also rushed 49 times for 279 yards and six scores.

Neal holds the Gaston County (N.C.) records for career yards from scrimmage (6,882), career receptions (164) and most points scored (630), and he recorded 103 total touchdowns as a four-year starting running back. Ruff is considered the No. 26 linebacker overall in the Class of 2016, by to . He was rated the fourth-best linebacker in Broward County (Fla.).

-6fda099c77ef58bd.jpg

SU Football Players, 200 Volunteers Help at MLK Day of Service (cnycentral.com; Dunbar)

Heavy snowfall and slippery roads did not slow down more than 200 volunteers coming together at Pensabene's Casa Grande in Syracuse for the 16th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service.

"People thought it wouldn't happen because of the snowstorm but we're here. Everybody came out," said Selina Lazarus.

Donated clothes were separated, folded and packaged for area shelter.

"I have the best city in the country. When you call, people come out," said organizer Helen Hudson.

Everyone was doing whatever needed to be done. Syracuse University football captain Zaire Frankilin and some of his teammates were among the first to arrive and stayed until the last box was loaded.

"Martin Luther King Jr. Day is always a day to look at yourself and give back to the less fortunate. people who aren't as blessed as you. We thought it was really important so we came out here to help out today," said Franklin.

Other

19572563-mmmain.jpg

Aggressive Drivers Are Road Terrorists (PS; Letters to the Editor)

To the Editor:

You know who you are. Lawless, you exceed speed limits, fail to signal, cut drivers off, even cross double lines, in the name of aggression. You tailgate whether in a 20 mph school zone or a 65 mph Thruway. There is no evil on the road worse than tailgating.

You can represent any race, color, religion, gender, profession or age. You may even have children as passengers. But even this won't stop you. You simply don't care.

You must maintain at least one car length for every 10 mph to avoid collisions in the case of a quick stop. I see at least one tailgater in both directions that I travel daily. This represents roughly 730 people per year tailgating from my perspective alone.

I, for one, will not be intimidated. If I see you fast approaching, I will not speed up. I'll tap my brakes to get your attention and slow down if you insist on being aggressive. On occasion I'll report you if you are an overt threat. Be aware that both your behavior and your license plate are highly visible, being in close proximity.

Your day will come, either sadly through an accident or by seeing rotating lights in your rearview mirror.

You may not strap on a vest with explosives, but you are a public menace. Since the law is not a deterrent and you have no concern for others, you are, indeed, a terrorist.

Advice: Seek help or stay off the road.

Robert L. Kasprzycki
Cazenovia

Oh yeah, another hijacking of the word terrorist. I hate tailgaters, as well, and take similar steps to him, but sorry, tailgating is not terrorism and Mr. Kasprzcki should be ashamed of himself for stating so.

I guess they'll be buying a lot of games then.
Very SEC-like. Also a convenient way to dodge BYU and Boise St..

I'm still OK with 2-for-1 arrangements in SU's recruiting areas (FAU, FIU, GSU, ...).
Probably best to dodge Boise St. as well. :)