For the new uniform haters... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

For the new uniform haters...

Alsacs said:
If your nickname is the Orange and your football jerseys have WAY more Grey/Blue/White than Orange that makes absolutely no sense I am sorry. I am sure you know more about marketing/designing/branding than I do, but it makes no sense. Look at Illinois/Miami those teams have Orange jerseys aren't too bright and look good. Syracuse wears blue/grey/white more than Orange that makes no sense. If our nickname wasn't Orange it wouldn't be as big a deal, but we are the Orange. The explanation I have now been told by Orange Xtreme in another thread is Nike hasn't physically produced the Orange jersey, but will do so sometime this summer so now the blame should go to SU or Nike for either rushing the press conference before Nike finished producing the 4th jersey top or Nike for not freaking manufacturing 1 orange jersey from their SU design and sending it out for the press conference to introduce the new jerseys. Either it was a dumb decision by somebody.

I agree that they should have the orange option and that it should have been out there yesterday and that it's Nike/Cuse problem.

The only other correlation between schools with "color" names (I'm sure there are tons) is Alabama and Crimson Tide. The crimson is traditional, darker (not bright red) and works more like Navy in our uni's. What if they were the pink tide (aside from emasculating the entire team) - would it work better as a whole pink uni or more as a highlight color?

That's all - it's a small distinction - and I think we should roll out the orange pants or jerseys or both from time to time. IMO - too much of that bright orange could be too much. I largely agree that it should be featured a tad bit more.

touche, but never said I would ever stop being a fan but rather some of the connection is decreasing when you look on the field and have to stop and think for a second which team is yours.
I hate seeing other teams that aren't nicknamed "Orange" with tons of orange in their uniforms and being jealous. Somehow Clemson and Illinois have nice uniforms with our color in it. I wish we could.

Last edited:
I agree that they should have the orange option and that it should have been out there yesterday and that it's Nike/Cuse problem.

The only other correlation between schools with "color" names (I'm sure there are tons) is Alabama and Crimson Tide. The crimson is traditional, darker (not bright red) and works more like Navy in our uni's. What if they were the pink tide (aside from emasculating the entire team) - would it work better as a whole pink uni or more as a highlight color?

That's all - it's a small distinction - and I think we should roll out the orange pants or jerseys or both from time to time. IMO - too much of that bright orange could be too much. I largely agree that it should be featured a tad bit more.
It's not just that it's our nickname, it's also the school's primary color. Most schools prominently display their primary color in either their primary home or away uniforms. We have not been. It would be understandable if orange were a bland or ugly color, but it's not. It's bright and it looks good on a lot of other teams' uniforms. It jumps off a TV screen more than white or dark blue, we should take advantage of that.

The banana slug analogy doesn't work. They replaced a classic logo that didn't need to be changed. This isn't a block S issue. Now that Buffalo has gone back to old logo, are people complaining?
i think orange as a color for a team called the orange is classic

View attachment 11228

If your okay with the new uniforms these must be okay as well. The new uniforms suck because our nickname is Orange and the 3rd most used color is Orange in most of the combinations. I am okay with a white, blue, grey top, pants, helmet combination, but we modeled the new uniforms in Syracuse and NYC and neither place had the Orange top. Who the F cares about the rest.
The McNabb era uniforms did not have an orange top either, do you feel the same way about those?

The McNabb era uniforms did not have an orange top either, do you feel the same way about those?

upload_2014-4-17_11-42-59.jpeg

couldnt open the link
For some reason it won't copy and paste. If you google "origin of syracuse orange nickname" it's the first thing that pops up.

After McNabb's Freshman year we wore these style jerseys in blue, but in 2003 and 2004 we added Orange versions.

So I don't get the point.

After McNabb's Freshman year we wore these style jerseys in blue, but in 2003 and 2004 we added Orange versions.

So I don't get the point.
as an alternate, so if the new uniforms have an alternate orange top... which they do... you are fine with them?

"You" does not equal the whole fan base. I said most will come around... Also these are not even close to the banana slug uni's.

No, people won't come around. These uni's will be gone in a couple years, just like the ugly crap they dressed in during the Greg Years.

as an alternate, so if the new uniforms have an alternate orange top... which they do... you are fine with them?

Orange helmets, orange pants. Alternating jerseys - blue and white. Numbers are white with orange trim on the blue jersey, and on the white jersey they are navy (a little orange trim could look cool).

That's what our uniform was for about 40 years. Tweaks to the stripes and trim, but that was ALWAYS the color combo. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

No, they still suck. However, if we have a good looking Orange top it will make them suck less. As I have said above if we have an orange top then either SU f'ed up having this press conference before Nike could send it to be part of the fashion show or Nike was beyond lazy and didn't take the time to manufacture an orange top before it did an grey, blue, or white one.

These new jersey still suck in IMO because their isn't enough Orange in them.

Say what you will about old farts, but I feel the same away about this tire fire as I did about the 2002 Bills aka "obnoxious Titans/Broncos hybrid rip-off" disaster. I was 22 then. The people defending them were saying the same nonsense being said in this thread - "you don't know hip/modern looks, they'll grow on you". Ya ok. History has looked kindly on my displeasure then and will do so again. So and get off my lawn.

There doesn't need to be a correlation between the name and the amount of that color in the uni. As someone who designs things for a living - trust me when I say the low hanging fruit is to make everything orange and call it a day. It wouldn't work visually. It's too bright. The orange plays nice as a highlight color - not the main.

As someone who isn't all that worked up I have to say that what you posted above is flat out not true. Clemson, Miami, UVA, Okie St., Tennesee all have varying shades of Orange as the primary color, some from head to toe.

SU has been 2/3rds Orange home and away forever and it has looked sharp most of the time.

As someone who isn't all that worked up I have to say that what you posted above is flat out not true. Clemson, Miami, UVA, Okie St., Tennesee all have varying shades of Orange as the primary color, some from head to toe.

SU has been 2/3rds Orange home and away forever and it has looked sharp most of the time.
i don't care if the uniforms violate some silly rule designers have about orange being too bright. the team is named after a color! here's a rule i care about more, if you're named after a color, you should see a lot of the color. using orange as a highlight is fine for everyday people walking around. football uniforms don't have pocket squares (shouldn't give nike any ideas)

Say what you will about old farts, but I feel the same away about this tire fire as I did about the 2002 Bills aka "obnoxious Titans/Broncos hybrid rip-off" disaster. I was 22 then. The people defending them were saying the same nonsense being said in this thread - "you don't know hip/modern looks, they'll grow on you". Ya ok. History has looked kindly on my displeasure then and will do so again. So and get off my lawn.
buffalo fans didn't come around to that uni either. mismatched colors, looked like they were wearing a bib

I dress in orange for SU games. Just like Otto. Just like most of what color apparel SU sells and promotes. I wear the school color. Someone at SU is embarrassed about bring the Orange(men). It gets phased out more and more each year.
Otto doesn't dress in orange. Otto is orange.