Class of 2015 - For Those Who Value Star Ratings | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 For Those Who Value Star Ratings

javadoc

All American
Check out our commit list on TOS. Looks like they revisited their ratings. 20 of our commits are now 3-star. The team rankings section doesn't reflect the change yet, as it shows us with 10 *** guys.

The guys who are not 3-star are Prater (NR), Lindor, and Giudice.

Finally a little respect on sco*t. I feel a couple guys get bumped up to four in the final rankings post senior year. Regardless, I trust the coaches until they prove otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest jump I've seen. Great to get respect. Im probably more excited for the coaches. They know what type of kids they want for their system despite the stars. They worked extremely hard to get these early commits. Good to see recruiting sites take notice of their eye for talent.

Biggest jump I've seen. Great to get respect. Im probably more excited for the coaches. They know what type of kids they want for their system despite the stars. They worked extremely hard to get these early commits. Good to see recruiting sites take notice of their eye for talent.
And now a bunch of these kids are probably going to "suddenly get noticed" by other schools. Crucial to get the bond forming amongst the kids like happened with last year's class.

And now a bunch of these kids are probably going to "suddenly get noticed" by other schools. Crucial to get the bond forming amongst the kids like happened with last year's class.

I think that the bond forming is already going on just from tweets I have read. Plus I like the fact that the staff has already gotten so many of these kids on campus early.

Finally a little respect on sco*t. I feel a couple guys get bumped up to four in the final rankings post senior year. Regardless, I trust the coaches until they prove otherwise.
It's great for the kids, too, who suddenly see that as a group, they're solid across the board. Even though it perhaps shouldn't have a big effect, it has to have some effect. Makes you feel better about the talent you'll be facing in practice.

If they bumped up ten players before the high school season even started there might a good chance that a few could be bumped up to a 4 star now that they are on the radar screen after the season.

And for some reason I liked Guidice's film a lot...he plays mean and nasty.

Last edited:
If they bumped up ten players before the high school season even started there might a good chance that a few could be bumped up to a 4 star now that they are on the radar screen after the season.
We'll see what happens, but my vague sense is that guys don't usually get bumped down. This is a very solid core group, and with a nice final addition or two, and maybe a possible bump up in a couple places, it is a top-30 class, IMO. If we can end up with 25+ guys and an average rating of 3.0 or more, that is just awesome considering where we were 5 years ago as a program.

We'll see what happens, but my vague sense is that guys don't usually get bumped down. This is a very solid core group, and with a nice final addition or two, and maybe a possible bump up in a couple places, it is a top-30 class, IMO. If we can end up with 25+ guys and an average rating of 3.0 or more, that is just awesome considering where we were 5 years ago as a program.

When you are a 3-4 star kid and have yet to verbal, I have to believe that Syracuse just became an easier choice cause your going in with others that have similar rankings. With this coaching staffs new recruiting strategy, the final 3-4 slots to fill they can be very picky and pick up the best kids available on the board regardless of position (I still think we need at least 1 more DT).

Congrats to the coaching staff - it's a similar strategy to what HCSS did at Stanford - and he just proved it worked here at SU with the new rankings.

Congrats to the coaching staff - it's a similar strategy to what HCSS did at Stanford - and he just proved it worked here at SU with the new rankings.
There has been some question about where the "minimum dividing line" for prospects was drawn when Shafer talked about their strategy recently. Well, damn. If this group represents the "bird in the hand" philosophy, we should be so unlucky to take that approach.

And for some reason I liked Guidice's film a lot...he plays mean and nasty.
The reason is you are smart. Like me :). I love Guidice the kid is an animal

When you are a 3-4 star kid and have yet to verbal, I have to believe that Syracuse just became an easier choice cause your going in with others that have similar rankings. With this coaching staffs new recruiting strategy, the final 3-4 slots to fill they can be very picky and pick up the best kids available on the board regardless of position (I still think we need at least 1 more DT).

You have to wonder how many kids knew they were never evaluated before committing to any school and then talk amongst themselves about it.

It's tough for any site to evaluate every kid before their SR. year. The ones who get evaluated first are the kids that go to recruiting sites camps and feedback by coaches on their top targets or from fans drooling over a prospect on their site and then everything else falls in place. Good reason's why a kid might be a two star at one site and a 4 at another

Per TOS twitter...
'Cuse commits receive historic rankings boost

Be nice to understand how it's "historic". Is it the biggest team ranking boost ever? The greatest number of recruits boosts ever? The greatest average boost ever? or the biggest fail on the part of TOS's ranking process ever?

Wait...so does this mean that a bunch of our recruits got better over night all at the same time?

I should add <extreme sarcasm> as I know some times our sarcasm meters get a bit screwy around here ;)

I think he said on Twitter that the last two classes have the most 3-star talent that Syracuse has has since TOS started ranking players. Gave kudos to Shafer and co.