For what it's worth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For what it's worth

If your parents make under $125k per year and you get into
I think that is relatively similar at Penn too. The difference being that most of the kids that have the basketball chops to make them competitive don't have the academic profile to get in either place or have no desire to be in a third world athletics environment. I guess Bamba would be relatively unique in that regard if he has a good enough academic resume and is actually interested in going there.

Yep, Bamba is from the projects and is a top student.

I digress, but at an undergraduate level, he'd be just as well off at a Davidson, Rice, Colgate, etc.

Conrad13 said:
His parents were successful professors at Colgate. I'm not sure that they gained a penny from him. How would his "handlers" gain anything from him attending Colgate?

They weren't his parents.

Finally said schools have backed off on Tucker for now. Heard he was disrespectful to teachers and students at Stepinac and colleges know about it. If he has drama free year at Wheeler they will all come after him hard again.

That's all I got!

That goes a long way to explaining some of the strange info we got in the Tucker thread a few weeks back. Thanks for the post.

None of those schools has the magic name of Harvard.

True, but then again -- it will likely be 1 year at Harvard and not getting a degree from there. Sounds to me like Duke would be able to convince him about their academic profile and playing in the ACC.

Now I think we can all see why we are on Preston now, because Richards sounds like a strong UK lean.

Right, guardians, who had enough of a connection with him to get him a full ride there. My point is that I don't think that there were many corrupt, self-serving people that steered Foyle to Colgate for their own benefit as Capt suggested.

His parents were successful professors at Colgate. I'm not sure that they gained a penny from him. How would his "handlers" gain anything from him attending Colgate?

Right, guardians, who had enough of a connection with him to get him a full ride there. My point is that I don't think that there were many corrupt, self-serving people that steered Foyle to Colgate for their own benefit as Capt suggested.
Going to Colgate, as an NBA prospect, was not in Doyle's interest. If,he was just a student great. As I said, basketball wise, the did the kid a disservice.

My good friend is the coach for an elite 19' prospect. This prospect speaks to Quade all the time. Said Quade told him it's Cuse for sure. Said he will announce in the next few weeks. I asked why he's still visiting Kentucky and possibly Az. and Nova...Said "free trips" "use up officials".

Asked about Bamba. He said "Harvard, U.K. or Duke"...Said he loves Harvard. Thinks he'll probably end up at Duke though.

Said Randolph has Cuse on very short list. Said Wake is out after their recent commitment from kid from South Beach. Said his AAU coach advising not to wait until spring for Arizona. Cuse natural fit for him.

Finally said schools have backed off on Tucker for now. Heard he was disrespectful to teachers and students at Stepinac and colleges know about it. If he has drama free year at Wheeler they will all come after him hard again.

That's all I got!

Not sure Duke is going to get both Wendall Carter & Mo Bamba. Doesn't make much sense to me. But what do I know.

I spoke to my good friend who is great friends with Munch (PSA Cardinals) and he told me that Harvard is up near the top if not the top for Bamba. Harvard has been landing top recruits as of late, including freshman point guard Bryce Aiken who played for PSA Cardinals last year. The kids can't get athletic scholarships but they can get acedemic plus enough grants where they go for free anyway. If I had to make a guess I would expect either Duke or Harvard to land Bamba.

Does that mean that Harvard basically has unlimited space for players? They have no one on scholarship. Normally I'd say it doesn't matter but when they are pulling in the Mo Bambas of the world...

If Bamba ends up at Harvard, then each big men gets their spot. Bamba=Harvard; Richards=UK; Carter=Duke. Seemed for a while like Cuse/UConn might end up with either Bamba or Richards, but I suppose if Bamba chooses Harvard, the other 2 will fall into place.

Billy Preston is very intriguing

If Bamba ends up at Harvard, then each big men gets their spot. Bamba=Harvard; Richards=UK; Carter=Duke. Seemed for a while like Cuse/UConn might end up with either Bamba or Richards, but I suppose if Bamba chooses Harvard, the other 2 will fall into place.

Billy Preston is very intriguing

Agree, I am intrigued by Preston too. Kid is tailor made to play the wing at Cuse. I'm also a bit concerned he is off the Duke and UK radars for the reasons Francis noted. Also, interesting that he did visit Kansas, as I would think if they wanted him truly, that's where he would end up. We don't normally get these types of kids over the Kansas's of the world. They even have a way of getting these kids eligible, that we do not. It's a strange situation to say the least.

Does that mean that Harvard basically has unlimited space for players? They have no one on scholarship. Normally I'd say it doesn't matter but when they are pulling in the Mo Bambas of the world...
You still have to have the academic chops to get into Harvard.

Friend of mine played football at Harvard. Football just helped differentiate him from other applicants. Very bright guy.

No doesn't matter whether they are giving "athletic" scholarship or other forms of grant in aid. They are restricted to having 13 players that receive any form of grant in aid from the school.

The chicks?
I'm positive this going to offend a bunch of folks but if I was going to go somewhere for the chicks I don't think Cambridge, MA would make the top 10. And I say this as one who spent my sowing wild oats days living in Cambridge and Boston. Amazing place near and dear to my heart but I wouldn't go there specifically for the chicks over say North Carolina or Kentucky.

I'm positive this going to offend a bunch of folks but if I was going to go somewhere for the chicks I don't think Cambridge, MA would make the top 10. And I say this as one who spent my sowing wild oats days living in Cambridge and Boston. Amazing place near and dear to my heart but I wouldn't go there specifically for the chicks over say North Carolina or Kentucky.
I appreciate you explaining what made it funny. :)

Obviously Harvard can't give out scholarships, but knowing some Ivy League ballers it's common knowledge throughout the conference that Harvard gives Amaker 2 freebies a year, so they can compete on a National level. Meaning they make it very easy for a player to come that otherwise couldn't .
So not to defend harvard but my understanding is that if you are smart enough to get accepted into harvard they will do whatever it takes from a financial perspective to help you go there. If I remember correctly a few years back Harvard was considering ditching tuition entirely because they have so much money in their endowment. And they do this for all students not just athletes: Harvard University Is Considering Making Tuition Free for All Its Students

So not to defend harvard but my understanding is that if you are smart enough to get accepted into harvard they will do whatever it takes from a financial perspective to help you go there. If I remember correctly a few years back Harvard was considering ditching tuition entirely because they have so much money in their endowment. And they do this for all students not just athletes: Harvard University Is Considering Making Tuition Free for All Its Students
Question is, do they lower their standards a bit for athletes under Tommy Amaker, but still apply the same financial assistance guidlines?

Question is, do they lower their standards a bit for athletes under Tommy Amaker, but still apply the same financial assistance guidlines?
That I agree with but it seemed like folks were making statements based on cost and not academic standards... it wouldn't shock me especially given that there is a definite correlation between academic performance and your environment. Someone's b or b+ might have been an A in the right environment. Not everyone is fortunate in the circumstances they live in.

So if Bamba chooses Harvard (which if not SU, I'd feel good about this)...is he one and done? That would seem an odd choice to get one year of Harvard education. If he stays for four years to maximize his education, wow, that's an amazing get for Harvard basketball!

So if Bamba chooses Harvard (which if not SU, I'd feel good about this)...is he one and done? That would seem an odd choice to get one year of Harvard education. If he stays for four years to maximize his education, wow, that's an amazing get for Harvard basketball!

Totally agree. If you're a 1-and-done, you do not pick an Ivy League school. If you go to Duke for a year and really want your education after, you can transfer to the Ivy League school if your grades are good enough.

Foyle was a top ten pick and played in the league for over a decade. Colgate didn't hold him back too much, it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom