For You Geography People Out There | Syracusefan.com

For You Geography People Out There

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
That game in Madison was pretty rare for Syracuse, as it is one of the few places Syracuse has played men;s basketball game that is further north than Syracuse.

Other than when we played in the Great Alaska Shootout, I am having problems remembering a Syracuse men's basketball game played north of Syracuse. It would have to be in parts of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine (we have surely played aways games in those states at some point), Washington State, most of Oregon, or someplace in between, where there are few cities where Syracuse might play (Minneapolis is one).

They probably played in the North Country many years ago too.

Marquette in the New/Old Big East.
No, but so close.

Madison 43.0731°
Syracuse 43.0481°
Milwaukee 43.0389°

We have played St Lawrence in Canton (I think) 6 times, the last one being in 1947. They were once a regular on the schedule and believe it or not, we have played them 34 times.

We played 3 times in Potsdam against Potsdam Normal.

And for you Oswego State grads, we played Oswego Normal 3 times in Oswego in 1903. Oswego actually won the first game 15-14.

Struggling to find other games.

Last edited:
Pre-season Canada
Ottawa was cool.
Interesting.

This site had Milwaukee north of Syracuse. I can't find consistent latitudes for cities in the US. Wikipedia was also showing Milwaukee north of Syracuse.

Latitude and Longitude of U.S. and Canadian Cities
That is weird. I have never seen the latitude of Syracuse under 43. I still remember confirming it as an exercise in Earth Science class back in junior high school.

In addition, every web site I have looked at (over the course of a one minute investigation) confirms the latitude at 43 plus. GPS does too.

I think that web site is troubled.

'89 Midwest Regionals were in the Metrodome...
Good call. Looks like we don't do that well playing north of Syracuse. Even in Alaska, we lost once to Arizona.

Buffalo this March hopefully. Didn't we play in Buffalo in 2007 and in the NCAAs in 2010 and 2014.

Ottawa was cool.

That is weird. I have never seen the latitude of Syracuse under 43. I still remember confirming it as an exercise in Earth Science class back in junior high school.

In addition, every web site I have looked at (over the course of a one minute investigation) confirms the latitude at 43 plus. GPS does too.

I think that web site is troubled.

Global warming is causing Syracuse to move south.

I believe the Bradley Center is a couple of miles north of the Carrier Dome.

That game in Madison was pretty rare for Syracuse, as it is one of the few places Syracuse has played men;s basketball game that is further north than Syracuse.

Other than when we played in the Great Alaska Shootout, I am having problems remembering a Syracuse men's basketball game played north of Syracuse. It would have to be in parts of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine (we have surely played aways games in those states at some point), Washington State, most of Oregon, or someplace in between, where there are few cities where Syracuse might play (Minneapolis is one).

Burlington is 44+ so that's a good call, but I'm not sure if we've ever played up here.

Seattle is 47+ - have we ever played there in a preseason or Tourney game?

Burlington is 44+ so that's a good call, but I'm not sure if we've ever played up here.

Seattle is 47+ - have we ever played there in a preseason or Tourney game?
For basketball, I took a quick look and I don't think we have ever played a real game in either city...

For basketball, I took a quick look and I don't think we have ever played a real game in either city...

That's what I'm seeing as well.

Where's Weber State? Because we played our subregional there in '94. 1989 regional in Minneapolis, too.

Most enjoyable thread topic of the week, BTW, I look forward to reading these posts.

EDIT: Not even close. Never would have guessed Utah, thought they were in Idaho or the Dakotas for some reason.

Buffalo this March hopefully. Didn't we play in Buffalo in 2007 and in the NCAAs in 2010 and 2014.
We did play at Canisius one year but Mr. Google says we are further north...

I believe the Bradley Center is a couple of miles north of the Carrier Dome.
I don't know about a couple of miles but I checked and I think you are right. The Bradley Center IS slightly north of the Carrier Dome.

Google:
Bradley Center: 43.0437° N, 87.9172° W
Carrier Dome: 43.0362° N, 76.1363° W

Wikipedia:
Bradley Center: 43°2′37″N 87°55′1″W
Carrier Dome: 43°2′10″N 76°8′11″W

Looks like the Bradley Center is about where the Hotel Skyler is; a little south of Harrison St. 4 or 5 blocks north of the Dome. Google Maps says that is about 2714 feet.

Weird there is so much variation.

Pretty sure we played up here in the North Country against Saint Lawrence back in the day. It's cool to see how some peer schools elevate to higher levels of athletics over time while some find their niche in D3.

I don't know about a couple of miles but I checked and I think you are right. The Bradley Center IS slightly north of the Carrier Dome.

Google:

Wikipedia:

Looks like the Bradley Center is about where the Hotel Skyler is; a little south of Harrison St. 4 or 5 blocks north of the Dome. Google Maps says that is about 2714 feet.

Oops, you're right, I think it is closer to a half a mile.

Pretty sure we played up here in the North Country against Saint Lawrence back in the day. It's cool to see how some peer schools elevate to higher levels of athletics over time while some find their niche in D3.
6 times in Canton and 3 in Potsdam, as I documented somewhere above...

Google:

Wikipedia:

I maybe losing track, but Google and Wikipedia coordinates you have posted there are identical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom