FOUR point line a possibility soon in the NBA? | Syracusefan.com

FOUR point line a possibility soon in the NBA?

RF2044

Living Legend
Saw this topic discussed yesterday on ESPN. Interesting idea with both pros / cons.

Curry & Thompson and a 4 point line. Wow.

Forget that. Let's go with this.

I always thought Jeremy McNeil was destined to dominate Slam Ball. All he could do on offense was dunk, and his timing was so good at blocking shots when people attacked the rim...imagine him on a trampoline?

It sounds ridiculous to me and I can't imagine it happens any time soon. But I assume in 1980 people thought the same of a 3 point line, right?

I think there is a general misunderstanding of what has been discussed.

The current 3 point shot, would now be worth 4 points.
The current 2 point shot, would be worth 3 points.
Free Throws would also have to be rethought.

So instead of the current 3, being worth 50% more it would only be worth 33% more. This would significantly reduce the value of the current 3 point shot, and would bring back more of the mid range game.

It would destroy all the individual scoring records, and we would have to our mindset on what is a great game.. but in order to make the game better I would be willing to live with it.

I think there is a general misunderstanding of what has been discussed.

The current 3 point shot, would now be worth 4 points.
The current 2 point shot, would be worth 3 points.
Free Throws would also have to be rethought.

So instead of the current 3, being worth 50% more it would only be worth 33% more. This would significantly reduce the value of the current 3 point shot, and would bring back more of the mid range game.

It would destroy all the individual scoring records, and we would have to our mindset on what is a great game.. but in order to make the game better I would be willing to live with it.

I know what you are saying here, but this is incredibly dumb. It's like when the outlawed the Dunk in the 70's or whenever cause Wilt/Kareem etc were too big and it was to easy for them to score.

Basically people are frustrated because guys like Curry/Thompson make it look to easy and Golden State is starting to "win too much".

3 Point percentages league wide have been between 33 and 36 percent since 1989, players just take a higher volume now. Offensive efficiency is actually down since the mid 80's mainly due to a decrease in the emphasis of offensive rebounding. There is nothing wrong with the game.

Just 12 years ago people were complaining nobody could score, which was true and three point percentages that year were virtually the same. The biggest difference between now and 12 years ago is decreased turnovers and players are shooting better from two point range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom