Fran Brown Analytics Philosophy | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Analytics Philosophy

wiseman3

2nd String
I haven't seen this brought up before, but I'm very curious. Has anyone seen Fran answer how he views analytics, 4th down decision making, punt/field goal decisions, general aggressiveness etc? I would love to hear his insights on how he plans to utilize data situationally and how aggressive we will be on 4th down.

I haven't seen this brought up before, but I'm very curious. Has anyone seen Fran answer how he views analytics, 4th down decision making, punt/field goal decisions, general aggressiveness etc? I would love to hear his insights on how he plans to utilize data situationally and how aggressive we will be on 4th down.
It’s pretty easy, ask “what would Dino have done?”, then do the opposite.

I am a numbers guy. Numbers do not have emotions. Kirby clearly is a huge influence on Fran so I expect he will follow that model. Let’s see!
I think numbers must be tempered by personnel. If SU were playing Alabama last year and analytics said go for the 4th and 1 on your own 45 early in the game, I think you punt.

I think numbers must be tempered by personnel. If SU were playing Alabama last year and analytics said go for the 4th and 1 on your own 45 early in the game, I think you punt.
Good point but I will play devils advocate if we are playing bama that’s an uphill battle. I think we have to take those risks. And if the analytics back that up then yes let’s go for it.

It’s pretty easy, ask “what would Dino have done?”, then do the opposite.
Dino was very good about fourth down decisions for much of his time but I get the instinct to throw the baby out with the bathwater

Fran has said in multiple interviews he takes a little bit of every coach he has worked for and brings them all together

He’s worked with some solid coaches over his years, if he’s accurate about himself

Watch out, we’re going to be a force to be reckoned with

I really hope fran can coach.

His game and clock management literally cannot be worse than Dino's was.

And I assume he's gonna let his OC & DC call most of the respective plays.

Just enforcing his DART mantra on gameday should reduce stupid penalties dramatically.
We were consistently one of the most penalized teams in the country each and every year under Dino.
No way that Fran allows for that to happen under his watch.

His game and clock management literally cannot be worse than Dino's was.

And I assume he's gonna let his OC & DC call most of the respective plays.

Just enforcing his DART mantra on gameday should reduce stupid penalties dramatically.
We were consistently one of the most penalized teams in the country each and every year under Dino.
No way that Fran allows for that to happen under his watch.

We probably win 1/2 more games a season without the penalties that occurred under Dino

We probably win 1/2 more games a season without the penalties that occurred under Dino
Agree and there were some bad calls, no doubt about it. But it wasn't ALL ACC refs. Sometimes you have to look in the mirror.

Wouldn’t the analytics factor in SU’s overall success in short yardage situations?Ideally, our analytics will factor in our stre

Ideally, our analytics would take into account our strengths and weaknesses, along with the opponents, so it's not just a one-size-fits-all sheet of down-and-distance conversion percentages.

Statsbomb is doing some cool stuff:

Maybe, in a vacuum. In reality, Alagainst Bama’s D line? No. That was my only point, just for devil’s advocate. Personnel and scheme matter, not just the odds. That’s why coaches get paid big dollars.
Analytics might tell you that running into Alabama's front line is a lower percentage option than throwing a screen pass or short hitch to a TE. What they won't tell you is what you think the other team is expecting.

Last edited:
The only thing worse than using your gut to make decisions is using an analytics system to make most decisions unless your gut disagrees and then overrides the analytics.

This sets up to get the worst scenario out of both approaches.

The Applied Costanza method.
1710958622137.jpeg