Francis new podcast | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Francis new podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francis, listening to Episode 22 now. Thanks again for all the hard work!!
Great time of year great time to run a pod and great time to be listening to one. This time last year we were worried about coney building buildings with bricks. Couldn't be happier with his turn around last year in the tournament!
Hard work pays for Cooney and Dean is rising up the charts on iTunes

Otto's World: Otto's World Podcast Episode 22
Talking Fab(RIP), the team, and finally got a chance to watch some full games of Duarte. Enjoy!:)

One of my favorites you've done. Love the Fab talk, we're all juiced with the Duke win and as always very informative recruiting details. Very happy when I saw I had an unheard podcast on my phone when I left for work this morning.

Good stuff Francis, thank you again.

One of my favorites you've done. Love the Fab talk, we're all juiced with the Duke win and as always very informative recruiting details. Very happy when I saw I had an unheard podcast on my phone when I left for work this morning.

Good stuff Francis, thank you again.
Thanks. The Fab part wasn't easy at all to be honest. Did about 10 do overs because I wanted to make sure that he was represented in a good way instead of having a continuation of the smh stuff that took place in a thread on here after his passing.

Great pod Francis. Interesting to hear your take on Duarte. I haven't seen him myself and was thinking of him more as a lengthy kid that could play both guard spots but it sounded like you have him as more of a SG/SF type of player. I was thinking we are higher on Duarte and Ayala than Washington and for good reason as I have to see more of Washington lately but have concerns about his game in the ACC. It seems as you stated now they are waiting on offering Washington to see what happens with Howard. I'm not sure I agree with this. I know this is probably not based in logic but I'm so tired of having no guard depth. We won't get Quinerly because you like him but lets say for argument sake we did we would have him with Washington and Howard as a senior. Then we need another 2G or combo like Ayala or something similar. I don't personally think Howard is a PG or will ever be one. The best we can hope for is he can get into the 33-35% from 3 range and get in the lane and finish as a sort of combo/2g type guy. If he can use his size to be a good defender and finish at the rim he could be ok with a strong PG who can also shoot and distribute (Quinerly). Washington should at least be a solid backup program kid and then we could have him with the CMU kid next year along with Howard and Battle.

Otto's World: Otto's World Podcast Episode 22
Talking Fab(RIP), the team, and finally got a chance to watch some full games of Duarte. Enjoy!:)

phenomenal, Dean! Loved the intro!

Edit--great points about that 2012 season. Agree 100% about that team taking Kentucky down that year.

Edit #2--thanks for the detailed evaluation of Duarte's game, as well as the updates about the program's recruiting situation with Duarte, Washington, Ayala, and Quinnerly.

Edit #3--absolutely LOVE your style on these, Francis. You've got the gift. Could totally see you on ESPNU discussing college basketball recruiting.

Edit #4--would love to hear your impressions of the kid from Utica [Porcelli], who seems like a versatile talent at SF.

Last edited:
More good work, DF. And thanks for including the time cues... Didn't need 'em this time—just went straight through it in one go.

We are so screwed. No chance with Quinerly since Francis wants him. :) Loved the self-deprecating humor.

I'm hoping that Duarte was not himself yet in those early games coming off injury. He's been putting up huge numbers lately.

phenomenal, Dean! Loved the intro!

Edit--great points about that 2012 season. Agree 100% about that team taking Kentucky down that year.

Edit #2--thanks for the detailed evaluation of Duarte's game, as well as the updates about the program's recruiting situation with Duarte, Washington, Ayala, and Quinnerly.

Edit #3--absolutely LOVE your style on these, Francis. You've got the gift. Could totally see you on ESPNU discussing college basketball recruiting.

Edit #4--would love to hear your impressions of the kid from Utica [Porcelli], who seems like a versatile talent at SF.
Just saw the other edits that you did. I'm hoping to watch one of Policelli's games before he went down with the injury along with other cuse targets within the next few weeks. I'll either do a writeup or just break it down on my next pod.

We are so screwed. No chance with Quinerly since Francis wants him. :) Loved the self-deprecating humor.

I'm hoping that Duarte was not himself yet in those early games coming off injury. He's been putting up huge numbers lately.
I think that was the case because they were early in the season and it seems like the chemistry wasn't all that there yet for the team. Which is why I was looking at him based on what he can become long-term with good structure rather than what he was doing solely in those games.

I think that was the case because they were early in the season and it seems like the chemistry wasn't all that there yet for the team. Which is why I was looking at him based on what he can become long-term with good structure rather than what he was doing solely in those games.

Yeah, I hope he's coachable. That gunner mentality can be broken if the player is willing to respond to some reigning in.

Last edited:
Wish I was cooking this up on a better note after a win, but it is what it is. As I said on the last pod, the next one will feature an Q & A segment. So if anybody wants to ask any questions to be answered on the pod, you can post it here. I'm planning on recording the next episode later today.
When did we go from having Swag to timid

Aside the from the D, is the offensive scheme possibly a reason for some guard recruiting problems? The way the point guards are playing here lately? The constant rinse-n-repeat high ball screen going nowhere? No cutting off the ball? I would think some intelligent elite recruits might look at our offense and be like, uh no thanks.

Aside the from the D, is the offensive scheme possibly a reason for some guard recruiting problems? The way the point guards are playing here lately? The constant rinse-n-repeat high ball screen going nowhere? No cutting off the ball? I would think some intelligent elite recruits might look at our offense and be like, uh no thanks.
Could be, but we also didn't do ourselves any favors with some handpicked choices over the past few years. Hop's preaching faster tempo to the youngins. So we'll see if they buy it.

Could be, but we also didn't do ourselves any favors with some handpicked choices over the past few years. Hop's preaching faster tempo to the youngins. So we'll see if they buy it.

Word. Yeah for sure the handpicking debacles but just wondering if it's more than that. Probably a mixture of everything including not grinding enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.