Frank H | Syracusefan.com

Frank H

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcsu

Living Legend
Im only going to address his basketball abilities not his attitude.
Unless he can develop a shot he will never be a lead player at this level. Teams will continue to play off him which kills our ability to space. He has talent but without a shot he is a major liability. Jb said it in his press conference. Johns ability to hit from the outside is critical. Again only focusing on basketball abilities that is what separates john from frank. Throw in the attitude issue with Frank and there is no reason for him to play.

Please elaborate as to the attitude problem.

I haven't been keeping up with things here so don't know what you mean.

He's to laid back, not sure that is attitude or just personality. I don't know how anyone not on the team or not knowing him would have ant idea what his "attitude" is like.

you know, a lot of people are saying. I didnt say it, but when a lot of other people are saying it?

Ok well I will wait till he is suspended or transfers maybe next season then.

Other posters have said that he has caused major issues.

Other people wanted to BAN him from the team! I've been redacting my own posts because it feels right now that I'm calmer, but good grief, I'm not going to redact defending the kid from all the hostility until I see something slightly more concrete than some hints in some posts. Supposedly he's also kept recruits away and rumors are he was even a bad influence on Fab Melo back in his really young years.

Back to his basketball abilities his lack of being a scoring threat directly effected every other player. The 4 and 1 zone on White would have been ineffective if he could shoot.
We had to play TT over Roby because you cant have 2 players on the floor that cant shoot.
Franks best quality is his vision. He is excellent. But by laying off him his strength in negated. Unfortunately at this point in his career i seriously doubt that he will ever develop an adequate outside shot. He just doesn't have it. Its almost painful to watch him .

Back to his basketball abilities his lack of being a scoring threat directly effected every other player. The 4 and 1 zone on White would have been ineffective if he could shoot.
We had to play TT over Roby because you cant have 2 players on the floor that cant shoot.
Franks best quality is his vision. He is excellent. But by laying off him his strength in negated. Unfortunately at this point in his career i seriously doubt that he will ever develop an adequate outside shot. He just doesn't have it. Its almost painful to watch him .
Perhaps you mean Roberson can't shoot from a distance? I don't know exactly what that distance is, though. If he has a mid range shot that's good but not from the foul line or the three it's one thing. If he can only score around the basket that's not good. But I seem to recall reading he's gotten better at the 14-16 feet shots.

Not every pro is going to be a threat from the 3 point line.

Perhaps you mean Roberson can't shoot from a distance? I don't know exactly what that distance is, though. If he has a mid range shot that's good but not from the foul line or the three it's one thing. If he can only score around the basket that's not good. But I seem to recall reading he's gotten better at the 14-16 feet shots.

Not every pro is going to be a threat from the 3 point line.
No Roberson cant shoot either but im specifically talking about Frank. I started watching SU as a child in 64. I played the 2 in college. FH simply cant shoot. Now im only speaking about his games for Syracuse but based on what i have seen it isnt a matter of a shooter being off it is simply that he isnt a shooter. Not even close.

Here is my question about his play. Why is he always out of position on defense after being here last year? He has to know what he is supposed to be doing at this point yet he doesn't do it and it kills the scheme. On offense why does he pass up opertunities to move the ball the way it's designed and instead pound it to death until there are very few options left with a short clock. Forget about his actual skills and talents as a player because he isn't doing what he is coached to do.

How about some give and go action or something of the sort? Even Robey got an easy bucket off a great pass from Lydon. Can Franklin move well after he passes? I remember when folks were worried Gillon's lack of height at the top of the zone would hurt him, but if he can overcome that, maybe Howard can overcome some of his issues? I'd like to think Boeheim or the 3 former guards on the bench(4 if you count my haggard-looking boy, Devo) could think up something that would work to his strengths, like that guy who had the son in SU Soccer camp mentioned was the formula.

Who knows. But im tired of us attempting to create pgs with kids who havnt played the position. Im sure the staff felt with his length that he was worth the chance. Still if you cant hit the broad side of the barn...

Look at SWCs Net Points for the end of the pre conference schedule. Even in losses Howard was averaging 10 points in 22 minutes; he just was missing 10 shots too as compared to missing less than 4 in wins.

Therefore he has to learn not to panic when the team is down and not try to do all the scoring himself but take only high% shots and otherwise PASS the ball!

HOWEVER, in losses, there may be no one open to pass to sometimes because the other team is guarding the other 4 players too well.

As Howard matures - and he's only a sophomore not a 5th year senior like Gillon - he should do better at that.

Other people wanted to BAN him from the team! I've been redacting my own posts because it feels right now that I'm calmer, but good grief, I'm not going to redact defending the kid from all the hostility until I see something slightly more concrete than some hints in some posts. Supposedly he's also kept recruits away and rumors are he was even a bad influence on Fab Melo back in his really young years.
What FH has 100% done to this program should get him kicked off the team. JB has decided to make him sit on the bench what he has done has hurt the program.

Yes,Fab Melo, Deshaun Williams and I also heard that he lead Tommy Kane down a bad path. There are also rumors that Charles Manson was really a decent kid until he crossed paths with one Frank Howard.

I can't imagine Frank not being able to shoot is the ONLY thing holding this team back when he's in the game.

First off, Frank was actually hitting some shots in the beginning of the season.

Secondly, our best pg of recent years is MCW who is the worst shooter in basketball.

Third, not being able to shoot doesn't destroy team chemistry.

Fourth, not being able to shoot doesn't preclude you from playing defense and being out of position ad nauseum.

Clearly, Gillon has not only proved to be better than Frank but with playing time and confidence has proved to be a big time player at this level, or is at least on that trajectory. Having a jumpshot helps, immensely, but that alone doesn't account for what we witnessed with Frank leading this team.

It's more than lack of a consistent outside shot that separates the two. Gillon is light years quicker and faster than FH which allows him to penetrate and breakdown defenses. He has "natural" floor leadership that Frank has yet to display.

My biggest issue with FH's game is, for some reason, he thinks every assist needs to be ESPN Top 10 worthy. Imo, he needs to simplify his game and quit forcing the highlight reel crap.

Im only going to address his basketball abilities not his attitude.
Unless he can develop a shot he will never be a lead player at this level. Teams will continue to play off him which kills our ability to space. He has talent but without a shot he is a major liability. Jb said it in his press conference. Johns ability to hit from the outside is critical. Again only focusing on basketball abilities that is what separates john from frank. Throw in the attitude issue with Frank and there is no reason for him to play.

if frank ain't injured and gets zero minutes in a blowout. then he's got major issues with the head coach.

Yes,Fab Melo, Deshaun Williams and I also heard that he lead Tommy Kane down a bad path. There are also rumors that Charles Manson was really a decent kid until he crossed paths with one Frank Howard.
Tommy Kane's nickname by his teammates was "KoKane" and the staff knew it. first hand by a former teammate who I am very good friends with.

I can't imagine Frank not being able to shoot is the ONLY thing holding this team back when he's in the game.

First off, Frank was actually hitting some shots in the beginning of the season.

Secondly, our best pg of recent years is MCW who is the worst shooter in basketball.

Third, not being able to shoot doesn't destroy team chemistry.

Fourth, not being able to shoot doesn't preclude you from playing defense and being out of position ad nauseum.

Clearly, Gillon has not only proved to be better than Frank but with playing time and confidence has proved to be a big time player at this level, or is at least on that trajectory. Having a jumpshot helps, immensely, but that alone doesn't account for what we witnessed with Frank leading this team.

Yep, shooting is only one deficiency. However, when it's combined with an average handle at best and his inability to beat anyone (Power 5/ACC caliber competition) off the dribble, his shortcomings at the position are glaring. In addition to his lack of skill set of playing the most critical position on the floor, his his court awareness/IQ also lacks as well as he picks up his dribble in places where no lead guard of substance would typically do.

Yep, shooting is only one deficiency. However, when it's combined with an average handle at best and his inability to beat anyone (Power 5/ACC caliber competition) off the dribble, his shortcomings at the position are glaring. In addition to his lack of skill set of playing the most critical position on the floor, his his court awareness/IQ also lacks as well as he picks up his dribble in places where no lead guard of substance would typically do.

Even without mentioning his mafia ties, you guys make it sound like @RealDC is going to send out some tweet asking who recruited him. This thread makes it sound more warranted than the Patterson tweet.

Last edited:
You guys make it sound like @RealDC is going to send out some tweet asking who recruited him. This thread makes it sound more warranted than the Patterson tweet.

Not really. JB is infatuated with tall guards for the top of his zone and zone only mantra at all costs, and then hopes to mold/develop them to play the point. Howard was not a point in HS, henceforth doesn't really possess the skills for this position, certainly not at a high level in which the ACC/P5 competition is played at.

Gillion can stop claiming to be The Christ, because Franklin Howard is already receiving The Passion(tm) on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom