Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he continues to recover from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

Coach Shafer Introduces 'Next Fan Up' Ticket Offer for 'Nova Game (cuse.com)

Syracuse had coach Scott Shafer has a generous offer for 'Cuse Nation to celebrate his second season with the Orange. His 'Next Fan Up' campaign means that for every ticket purchased for the 2014 season against Villanova on Friday, August 29, Coach Shafer will buy an additional ticket for that fan. The offer includes season tickets already purchased. This special offer is available through Saturday, May 31, 2014.

Tickets for the season-opener are available now online (www.Cuse.com), at ticket kiosks in Destiny USA, by phone (1-888-DOMETIX), or by visiting the Carrier Dome Box Office (Gate B).

All Orange fans are invited to purchase or renew 2014 Syracuse football season tickets, which start at $99, or purchase a three-game package that includes Villanova, Florida State and a third home game in the Dome of the fan's choice ($125 per package). In addition, discounted group tickets (20+), with prices as low as $10 each, are available for all home games...

Syracuse Fans Invited to Saturday Spring Game (cuse.com)

The Spring Game is set for Saturday, April 19 in the Carrier Dome and head coach Scott Shafer invites Orange Nation to come watch his 2014 team in an intra-squad scrimmage. Doors open at 10 a.m. and the scrimmage will begin at 1 p.m.

The team will take the field at 11:30 a.m. for pre-game stretch and warmup. There is no admission charge and parking is free in all Stadium West lots. Coupons for a free hot dog and soda will be distributed at the Dome gates, while supplies last.

"It will be a good scrimmage and we'll get creative with some things that we do to get everybody involved," Shafer said at the Tuesday media opportunity. "I'm looking forward to having the kids play in front of the community again and getting back after it."...

Shafer has made it an offense vs. defense scrimmage with a point system so both the offense and defense can score. The offense will earn points the traditional way while the defense will score off interceptions, three-and-outs, turnovers on downs and, of course, touchdowns of its own.

Nike Lead Designer Todd Van Horne Discusses Inspiration and Details of New SU Uniforms

Video: Team Reaction to New Uniforms (cuse.com)

Syracuse Unveils Uniforms That Are Decidedly Less Orange (washingtonpost.com; Soong)

Syracuse football debuted its new uniforms Wednesday and they are…well, you be the judge.

In conjunction with Nike, players helped design the new look, which features three uniforms – a home, road and alternate kit.

The main addition is the chest patch, which serves as a homage to the school’s “legend of 44″ – one of the most storied numbers in college football history worn by Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, among others. The military-inspired graphic in the patch also references the school’s quad and the word “D.I.S.C.I.P.L.I.N.E” is printed inside the jersey.

Rising redshirt junior quarterback Terrel Hunt was one of the players that donned the new jerseys.

“We wanted to make it new but also keep the same tradition,” he said. “It was like the first day of Christmas for us.”...

04172014_S_SpringFBadvance1_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Fans Will Get an Early Look at RF QB Mitch Kimble (3)

Short Handed Syracuse Will Use Alternative Scoring System in Spring Game (DO; Wilson)
Scott Shafer has tinkered with unique scoring systems in a scrimmage before. He coached in one game in which sacks were worth four points and tackles for losses three.

The defense won 84-13.

“We’re not using that system,” Shafer said.

Instead, Syracuse will take a slightly more traditional approach in its Spring Game on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome...

Recruiting

image.jpg

RB Tyrone Perkins Says He Can Make a Big Contribution to Syracuse Football (PS; Mink)

Tyrone Perkins is the recruit nobody knows much about. At the timehe committed to Syracuse on Wednesday night, none of the major recruiting services had him ranked. By the end of the night, he was rated as a high three-star prospect and No. 3 at his position in New York.

The running back from Friends Academy in Long Island's Locust Valley helps fill a priority position for Syracuse in the 2015 recruiting class. He has not received any other scholarship offers, but Fordham, Connecticut and Boston College have shown interest. It's probable with a 7-on-7 summer circuit and his senior season still ahead that his offer sheet will grow, but none came before Syracuse, and he returned that favor by becoming the first to verbal commit in this cycle.

"I know I can play at that level, that competition," Perkins said by phone Thursday evening. "I feel like I can definitely make a big contribution to the program. I'm just going to show everyone what I can do."

SU Football Recruiting: I Think Ya Better Call Tyrone Perkins (tniiam.com; Keeley)

Well, the uniforms worked!

The same day that the Syracuse Orange football team introduced schnazzy new uniforms meant to bolster recruiting efforts, they received a commitment from 2015 RB Tyrone Perkins...

Another Day, Two More Wins for Northwestern Over SU in Recruiting (Double Trouble) (northcoastnow.com; Gilles)

Ever since Andrew Dowell was born 22 minutes before his twin brother, David, they have been competing against each other. They’ve also done everything together.

Their competitive fire has blossomed at St. Edward. The North Ridgeville residents have excelled on the football field, where they led the Eagles to the Division I state semifinals, and the basketball court, where they helped the Eagles win the state championship.

Andrew, the starting tailback, and David, a starting wide receiver and cornerback, immediately hit the recruiting trail following basketball season, visiting several Division I universities such as West Virginia, Syracuse and Ohio State. In the end, the twins found their future home at Northwestern.

On Sunday, Andrew and David orally committed to Northwestern, becoming the fifth and sixth members of the Wildcats’ recruiting class for 2015. The duo will enter their senior year at St. Ed’s knowing they’ll not only be playing Division I college football, but will be doing it as teammates...

TE Kyle Markway of St Louis, SC Hearing From Syracuse (theitem.com)

TE Kyle Markway of St. Louis visited USC for the spring game. The Gamecocks have offered along with Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Western Kentucky. USC was one of the first to offer DB Desmond Cain of Delray Beach, Fla., and continue to lead for his services. Cain recently picked up an offer from Southern Methodist and is hearing from Tennessee and Syracuse. He's expecting USC to watch him during spring practice.

Former Players

McNabbMugshot.jpg

Donovan McNabb Mug Shot From February DUI Arrest Released (cnycentral.com)

This is refreshing to see--from the Perkins article:

"When I was there, I just got that vibe it was the place to be," he said. "I loved the campus. I met some of the guys. They're all great guys. The coaching staff is great. I love what they're trying to do with the program, and I really think I can help out there.

"It's the place I want to spend my four years of college."​

That's a far cry from the days when we had a then-current player talk a commit out of coming here [Dailey].