From DaveR52 | Syracusefan.com

From DaveR52

DaveR52

Walk On
I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved its own. Please forgive the redundancy.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football (most folks in the department, including Donnie, were retained). I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r

Passion is something that can't be taught. Regardless of what happens, thanks for everything you've done, Dave.

I don't feel sorry for you because you'll seize the opportunity and do well at whatever you do. Family is and always will/should be priority #1...Good luck!

Dave - from the other thread as well. Wasn't sure if you saw this, but many thanks again!!!!

Dave Rahme was incredible in his coverage on SU football. This is an utter shame. SU should hire him to simply continuing putting out alot of information and news on the team. If they are trying to interest the locals, cutting off their team news supply isn't going to help.

Dave - I know you are on this site with the chats, best of luck to you and thank you very much for being amazing with your football coverage. Hopefully, you can continue to stick around in the area. We need someone like you for this team.

Thanks for all you have done Dave. I've always loved reading your insight. Thoughts and prays out to you and your family during this time.

Great work, Dave. Thanks for the insights and fantastic articles.

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved its own. Please forgive the redundancy.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football (most folks in the department, including Donnie, were retained). I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r
as i said before take the job,you will do it justice and keep things interesting for us as well do to your committment---would love to have you stay

dave r

Thanks Dave.

Dave,

Of all the writers, I trusted you the most. I will dearly miss your insight and ability to analyze the status of our beloved Orangemen. When you were positive, so was I, and therein lies the depths of my belief in your opinions.

best of luck whatever you decide, and thank you for your hard work.

A dark day for all fans of Syracuse University Football for sure. Thank you for sharing your passion with us for all these years Dave.

dave r

You've always been a class act, Dave. Best wishes whichever decision you make.

Ugh, this is awful. Of all the sports reporters at the Post Standard, I loved your analysis, insight, and writing the most. It always seemed that you had the pulse of the team, and potentially inside sources fueling some of your stories. In a town where the local university shields so much from the media, that was huge in my opinion.

As a former broadcast journalist whose station in CNY was butchered about 5 years ago, I understand what it's like. Hope this new portion of your life goes well Dave, and know that you always have a multitude of fans here at syracusefan.com rooting you on regardless of what you do.

dave r

Thanks Dave, I always enjoyed your work. Keep in mind, when one door closes...

Admins: Any chance in having Dave write/contribute to this board? Pay side??

This is really unfortunate, Dave. There are a ton of people covering SU through a ton of different mediums, but none did it quite as well as you. Good luck with everything.

Best of Luck Dave. it was always nice to know that the guy covering the team, cared about them

Best of luck,Dave...whatever you decide.

Very best in all you do. Your coverage will be sorely missed.

Dave - Whenever I see you on the byline I read immediately.

There is no doubt in my mind that you have been the most informed, most objective and most accurate observer of SU Football for as long as I can remember.

I am really in the dark as far as what prompted this chain but find it hard to believe that you would not be retained for SU Football coverage - you are SU Football coverage as far as I am concerned.

You will be a success no matter where the road leads.

Thanks for all of your hard work and skill.

Andy

My opinion here doesn't matter a whole lot, but I think you've done good work and will continue to do good work.

dave r

Dave your articles were are the first ones I look for and your insight is greatly appreciated. Best of luck with you future endevours, you will be missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom