From DaveR52

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by DaveR52, Oct 2, 2012.

1. DaveR52

DaveR52 Walk On

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved its own. Please forgive the redundancy.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football (most folks in the department, including Donnie, were retained). I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
    dave r
  2. OrangeTown

OrangeTown 2nd String

Passion is something that can't be taught. Regardless of what happens, thanks for everything you've done, Dave.
    JoeCollege likes this.
  3. SmilinBob

SmilinBob Hall of Fame

I don't feel sorry for you because you'll seize the opportunity and do well at whatever you do. Family is and always will/should be priority #1...Good luck!
  4. Rocco

Rocco Hall of Fame

Dave - from the other thread as well. Wasn't sure if you saw this, but many thanks again!!!!

Dave Rahme was incredible in his coverage on SU football. This is an utter shame. SU should hire him to simply continuing putting out alot of information and news on the team. If they are trying to interest the locals, cutting off their team news supply isn't going to help.

Dave - I know you are on this site with the chats, best of luck to you and thank you very much for being amazing with your football coverage. Hopefully, you can continue to stick around in the area. We need someone like you for this team.
  5. JJReddawg

JJReddawg Starter

Thanks for all you have done Dave. I've always loved reading your insight. Thoughts and prays out to you and your family during this time.
  6. javadoc

javadoc All Conference

Great work, Dave. Thanks for the insights and fantastic articles.
  7. Louie&Bouie

Louie&Bouie Scout Team

Dave:

For as long as I can remember, I have opened up the sports section and looked for (and read) your articles first. That says it all, IMO.

Best of luck.
    northacuse, JoeCollege and BORZAK like this.
  8. tipphill

tipphill Guest

as i said before take the job,you will do it justice and keep things interesting for us as well do to your committment---would love to have you stay
  9. GoSU96

GoSU96 Hall of Fame

Thanks Dave.
  10. jr4750

jr4750 All Conference

Dave,

Of all the writers, I trusted you the most. I will dearly miss your insight and ability to analyze the status of our beloved Orangemen. When you were positive, so was I, and therein lies the depths of my belief in your opinions.
  11. orangehomer

orangehomer 2nd String

best of luck whatever you decide, and thank you for your hard work.
  12. MaxwellCuse

MaxwellCuse All Conference

A dark day for all fans of Syracuse University Football for sure. Thank you for sharing your passion with us for all these years Dave.
    Cuseregular likes this.
  13. crales44

crales44 Scout Team

You've always been a class act, Dave. Best wishes whichever decision you make.
  14. wfschrec

wfschrec All Conference

Best wishes Dave ...
  15. A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange 2nd String

Ugh, this is awful. Of all the sports reporters at the Post Standard, I loved your analysis, insight, and writing the most. It always seemed that you had the pulse of the team, and potentially inside sources fueling some of your stories. In a town where the local university shields so much from the media, that was huge in my opinion.

As a former broadcast journalist whose station in CNY was butchered about 5 years ago, I understand what it's like. Hope this new portion of your life goes well Dave, and know that you always have a multitude of fans here at syracusefan.com rooting you on regardless of what you do.
    retro44, OrangeCrush22 and JoeCollege like this.
  16. 007

007 Starter

Thanks Dave, I always enjoyed your work. Keep in mind, when one door closes...

Admins: Any chance in having Dave write/contribute to this board? Pay side??
  17. BlackKnight76

BlackKnight76 All Conference

This is really unfortunate, Dave. There are a ton of people covering SU through a ton of different mediums, but none did it quite as well as you. Good luck with everything.
  18. KaiserUEO

KaiserUEO All Conference

Best of Luck Dave. it was always nice to know that the guy covering the team, cared about them
  19. All4SU

All4SU Living Legend

Best of luck,Dave...whatever you decide.
  20. Orangello

Orangello All Conference

Very best in all you do. Your coverage will be sorely missed.
  21. alphaorange

alphaorange 2nd String

Here, here. I'm on board I'd gladly pay to have someone of Dave's ilk contributing on a pay side.
    Dadarules, JoeCollege and Cuseregular like this.
  22. OrangePA

OrangePA Hall of Fame

Dave - Whenever I see you on the byline I read immediately.

There is no doubt in my mind that you have been the most informed, most objective and most accurate observer of SU Football for as long as I can remember.

I am really in the dark as far as what prompted this chain but find it hard to believe that you would not be retained for SU Football coverage - you are SU Football coverage as far as I am concerned.

You will be a success no matter where the road leads.

Thanks for all of your hard work and skill.

Andy
  23. OttoinGrotto

OttoinGrotto Living Legend

My opinion here doesn't matter a whole lot, but I think you've done good work and will continue to do good work.
  24. JD

JD 2nd String

Dave your articles were are the first ones I look for and your insight is greatly appreciated. Best of luck with you future endevours, you will be missed.
  25. dollarbill44

dollarbill44 All Conference

Thanks for all the articles and good luck!
  26. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

44cuse likes this.
  27. orangenirvana

orangenirvana All Conference

Yeah, I don't feel sorry for Rahme because he's good at what he does and I'm sure will land on his feet just fine.

The person I feel sorry for is me...for not being able to read his football updates anymore.

Thanks DR, and good luck.
    JoeCollege likes this.
  28. sutomcat

sutomcat Administrator Staff Member

Appreciate the great body of work you have provided us with over the years Dave. I selfishly hope things work out and you will continue to be able to cover SU football and lacrosse and stay in the CNY area. If not, many thanks for all you have done for the sports fans of the area.

Whatever happens, I wish you and your family much health, happiness and success in the future.
    Cheriehoop, RF2044 and cto44 like this.
  29. GoSU96

GoSU96 Hall of Fame

30. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

also, they should all write books.

they might be able to team up with people in rochester too. pitoniak and bob matthews got let go a while back. plenty of overlap in fans but would add more content so each person isn't scrambling to conjure up more blog entries.
  31. anglerman

anglerman Starter

It doesn't make sense to me at all. Why wouldn't you keep your best SU football writer and one of the best in the business period . I think it's just a bad business decision on the part of the PS.
    Cuseregular likes this.
  32. mountaincuse

mountaincuse Hall of Fame

Dave - did you repost this in a new thread just for more likes?

Figured I'd post my reply again here in case it was missed:

Dave - thanks for posting, sorry to hear the news. Best of luck in the future and best wishes on your difficult decision ahead.

Maybe if you're bored on Mondays you can post your game breakdowns here. :)
  33. Orijinal

Orijinal Walk On

I really don't understand what Syracuse.com and the Post Standard was thinking here. It's a horrible administrative move, probably from someone who either doesn't understand football or feels, like some others in this area, that the Syracuse Football team is just another entertainment venue option in CNY; i.e, that it's on par with Dinosaur Bar b que.

Syracuse Football is much more valuable here than " just another option for a night out." And Syracuse.com has just removed the man who covered the team better than anyone else. Now I suppose they'll bring in someone who doesn't even know who Ryan Nassib is, and will take a year or more just to catch up on what's going on. Ridiculous.
    Cuseregular likes this.
  34. Frozen

Frozen All Conference

Thanks, Dave.
  35. Orijinal

Orijinal Walk On

Syracuse.com and Post Standard: you had a star on your hands. Someone who had a true connection with his line of work and someone who connected with the larger football community as well. Nice Job.

I would curse right now, but I'm a Christian.
    Cuseregular likes this.

Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex