From DaveR52 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

From DaveR52

I don't feel sorry for you because you'll seize the opportunity and do well at whatever you do. Family is and always will/should be priority #1...Good luck!

Yeah, I don't feel sorry for Rahme because he's good at what he does and I'm sure will land on his feet just fine.

The person I feel sorry for is me...for not being able to read his football updates anymore.

Thanks DR, and good luck.

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved its own. Please forgive the redundancy.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football (most folks in the department, including Donnie, were retained). I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r

Appreciate the great body of work you have provided us with over the years Dave. I selfishly hope things work out and you will continue to be able to cover SU football and lacrosse and stay in the CNY area. If not, many thanks for all you have done for the sports fans of the area.

Whatever happens, I wish you and your family much health, happiness and success in the future.

Yep, you never know.
also, they should all write books.

they might be able to team up with people in rochester too. pitoniak and bob matthews got let go a while back. plenty of overlap in fans but would add more content so each person isn't scrambling to conjure up more blog entries.

It doesn't make sense to me at all. Why wouldn't you keep your best SU football writer and one of the best in the business period . I think it's just a bad business decision on the part of the PS.

Dave - did you repost this in a new thread just for more likes?

Figured I'd post my reply again here in case it was missed:

Dave - thanks for posting, sorry to hear the news. Best of luck in the future and best wishes on your difficult decision ahead.

Maybe if you're bored on Mondays you can post your game breakdowns here. :)

I really don't understand what Syracuse.com and the Post Standard was thinking here. It's a horrible administrative move, probably from someone who either doesn't understand football or feels, like some others in this area, that the Syracuse Football team is just another entertainment venue option in CNY; i.e, that it's on par with Dinosaur Bar b que.

Syracuse Football is much more valuable here than " just another option for a night out." And Syracuse.com has just removed the man who covered the team better than anyone else. Now I suppose they'll bring in someone who doesn't even know who Ryan Nassib is, and will take a year or more just to catch up on what's going on. Ridiculous.

Syracuse.com and Post Standard: you had a star on your hands. Someone who had a true connection with his line of work and someone who connected with the larger football community as well. Nice Job.

I would curse right now, but I'm a Christian.

How depressing. Our loss. Thanks Dave, wish you the best on whatever decide. With any luck I'll run into you again next fall in a Chicago airport after you were covering the SU - Northwestern game.

Dave, the world is full of opportunity and heres to you finding a better one the you still have passion for. Maybe we hire a premium football writer hear at syracusefan. I too read you first! God bless you and yours!

One more voice offering thanks to you, Dave for your years of providing so much of the lifeblood we rely on, and for doing so in such a great manner. Truly a fan favorite, and I hope you understand that the well-wishes and thanks expressed by so many of us anonymous fans from the masses are genuine and heartfelt. Thanks so much and best of luck.

I echo what others have said but will add, you're a good man Dave.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is so sad to me on both a personal and professional level. When I initially heard layoffs were coming, I couldn't believe you could be among those affected. As a former journalist and passionate SU fan who always looks forward to your insightful coverage, I can't believe it has actually happened. As someone who values your friendship, I just want to give you a big hug.

Dave:

For as long as I can remember, I have opened up the sports section and looked for (and read) your articles first. That says it all, IMO.

Best of luck.

Ditto that! The best sportswriter not covering football????? That truly sucks!

Dave - all the best to you and your family. Thanks for the blood, sweat, tears, and insight over the years. I know it will work out for you - it always does for the good ones.

Dave, like others here, I've always enjoyed the articles and the videos.
Best of luck with what's ahead!

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved its own. Please forgive the redundancy.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football (most folks in the department, including Donnie, were retained). I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r

Best of luck Dave. I always thought you were an awesome syracuse football writer. I truly will miss you and your articles in the fall.

I hope everything works out well for you and your family.

I don't know about anybody else...but when I clicked on one of Orangeyes links and if the article was written by Dave...I would say, "Oh Goody!" as I know it would have actual good to know info.

Terrible call by the management at the Newspaper.

Thanks, so much, for all your hard work! It was a pleasure to read your articles. I'm sure you'll do just as well in future endeavors as you did covering the Orange!

My heart dropped when I read this news. I had no idea you were under this kind of stress at work. I've been there myself, and I would never wish that sort of uncertainty on anyone and certainly not on you. I wish I had expressed more praise over the years than I have because you deserve heaps of praise for your work and for the passion you put into it and for your willingness to adapt to the technological changes. Those video reports you did with Frank Ordonez were awesome. You will be sorely missed by all including myself. I wish you the best.

Dave,

I've always loved your LAX insight, and I'd like to see you stick around on that side, but do what you gotta do, my friend.

This is a sad day.

Dave, I've been a big fan of yours for both your journalistic coverage of SU athletics as well as your contributions to this forum over the years.

Awful news--I'll be sorry to see you off of the football beat, but more importantly I hope that the job situation works out optimally for you and your family.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom