From DaveR52 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

From DaveR52

dave your unique insights and learned perspective in the best possible way reaked of someone at the top of their professions game. You my friend will have NO PROBLEM landing on your feet no matter where you choose to go.

I eagerly awaited your monday articles and thoughts about something I care deeply about and was always comfortable in the knowledge that you'd give it to us straight, both the good and the bad. You never went over the line of partisan homer and were ALWAYS objective yet at the same time it was clear how much you really must have cared about that program up there. That's not an easy feat.

Ever since we flew home sitting next to each other from an away game years ago when P was around and were nice enough to get into a detailed conversation with me about it all, ever since then I've had a fond place for you and your writing. I always liked you for your talent and professionalism before this but this made me realize that you were a great person as well.

You're gonna be sorely missed dude, you were a big part of the following of SU football for me for years. A big piece of the SU heart is missing today.

That said the good news is now I'll look forward to hearing of your success in whatever you decide to do and wherever you decide to be. The old saying goes, look for the silver lining...for you it'll be platinium.

[ Dave , this is the start of my day- every day- ...coffee,readers , rocking chair, Dave Rahme-Nolan Weidner-Donna Ditota-Mike Waters-Bud Poloquin. I enjoyed my life then. Thanks PS for digitalizing my life and taking away the simple pleasures that help make life worth living.

I don't know about anybody else...but when I clicked on one of Orangeyes links and if the article was written by Dave...I would say, "Oh Goody!" as I know it would have actual good to know info.

Terrible call by the management at the Newspaper.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for all your insight and best of luck in your future endeavors. May you have fair winds and calm seas.

best of luck Dave. I can honestly say that NOONE, ill repeat NOONE can possibly fill your shoes and what you have done for the community/fans in terms of coverage and passion. Truly a crappy day for us all.

Dave thanks for all of the great stories over the years. Good luck and God bless to you and your family durning this time.

Dave- I don't know what the PS is thinking. I wish we can petition to keep you.
You will be sorely missed. I wish you nothing but success and happiness (hopefully covering the Lax team).

Dave, your program knowledge, insight, exuberance and craft in written explanation simply cannot be replaced.

I trust you will do whatever is right for you and wish only the best... and thank you for the many, GREAT SU football articles.

We'll miss you Dave. If anyone other than Donnie takes over the football beat, I'll be quite disappointed.

If Dave somehow gets connected as a paid blogger/writer here, $9.95/month is too little to pay, and I'd gladly pay more for his articles, his videos, etc. For any sport, including Pin the Tail on PeteCalvin's Mom.

Dave,

In my younger years I learned a lot from you and Doug Logan about Syracuse football.
You two fueled the fire that grew into an inferno of passion.

No matter what you decide and what life brings you deserve better than this.

Part of being an SU Football fan meant reading anything written by you.

I say thank you knowing I will never repay all you have given me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

taking rahme in his prime off football to only cover lax is like taking jenna jameson in her prime off camera to only cover fluffing. collosal waste of talent

Hilarious and so true.

Dave, you will be sorely, sorely missed.

Best of good fortune to you and your family in the future. Thanks for all your efforts over the years.

Good luck going forward Dave. Thanks for the great reporting.

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it deserved its own. Please forgive the redundancy.

First, let me very humbly thank the folks here who have said such kind things about me. There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone. Anyway, this has been my passion and my love for more than three decades and I am very sad this morning to be at this crossroads. I saw it coming years ago but never believed it would happen here so quickly. I do want to clear up one misconception. Nolan and I have been offered jobs with the new company but not covering football (most folks in the department, including Donnie, were retained). I have no idea who will be given that task. I have been asked to cover lacrosse year-round. I have two weeks to make my decision but want you all to understand one thing - if I accept it I will do so with the knowledge that it is not the same job that fueled my love and passion all those years. It is an opportunity in the "new and exciting world of digital journalism," which will entail little of what I do now. Regardless of what I decide, I will try to cover the team for the rest of the season to the very best of my ability. I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me. I have a great wife, three great kids, six beautiful grandchildren and faith that God will direct me as He sees fit. I am truly blessed and wish all of you here the same kind of happiness and fulfillment I have enjoyed for most of my career. I know some of you have disagreed with me regarding my opinions on SU football and/or the way I have covered the beat, but I hope all can at least say I did it to the best of my ability, with honesty and integrity and never with an ego to be a media star.
dave r

Best of luck, Dave. I'm going to miss your insight into Syr football.

If Dave somehow gets connected as a paid blogger/writer here, $9.95/month is too little to pay, and I'd gladly pay more for his articles, his videos, etc. For any sport, including Pin the Tail on PeteCalvin's Mom.
I was shelling out for premium at the old site(s). Safe to say I would do so here also.

Dave,
Please feel free to turn your responsible journalistic view of the SU football team loose at the completion of theis season and come over to the dark side of being an unabashed SU fan(atic) and indulge yourself.

Dave,

Select the best writers of who was lost Monday and call the Utica O-D convince them to open a Syracuse bureau with expanded coverage of SU sports and an every other day Syracuse local section in their paper. Offer home delivery in the syracuse market on the days the P-S isn't covering to correlate. That type of market expansion would be huge for the OD and a city the size of Syracuse deserves a daily paper at least aggregate.

I have to admit my heart sank a little bit when I read this thread that Dave wasn't going to cover football. I've never played football but I always was excited when I saw his name on an article because I knew I would understand what the heck was going on out there a little bit better after reading it. Often, I read them twice. Thanks Dave - you will be missed!

Dave, thanks for all the years!

As many have posted, your insight, analysis, integrity and passion haven't gone unnoticed. Great work, and it IS more our loss than yours. You're one of the best in the business, and you'll land a good gig somewhere (if you don't take the lax job)!

I would only add, that I tend to agree with SWC. Your - sometimes brutal - honesty, could very well be considered politically incorrect for the intended "positive" direction of SU Football coverage.

Catering to the negativity of the haters on Syracuse.com just for the sake of traffic (as someone suggested) would be suicidal for them. What I don't get, is keeping certain others instead - especially on the FB beat.

You will definitely be missed. Best of luck in whatever you decide to pursue.

There are others here - I can think of one in particular - who will be glad I'm gone.
dave r
Dave there is always one bad apple in every bunch.

Everyone I know has the utmost respect for you and your journalism.

You have an open invitation to attend our tailgates, please stop by anytime.

If it's someone who attends our tailgate we'll put him in Retro's deep fryer until he's crispy. ;)

Appreciate the great body of work you have provided us with over the years Dave. I selfishly hope things work out and you will continue to be able to cover SU football and lacrosse and stay in the CNY area. If not, many thanks for all you have done for the sports fans of the area.

Whatever happens, I wish you and your family much health, happiness and success in the future.
I was about to add my 2¢ to the discussion, but I couldn't say it any better or more succinctly than Tomcat, the Board Bard.

Best for you and your family, Dave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom