From Orangeyes' Family | Syracusefan.com

From Orangeyes' Family

OrangeOnions

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
It's been a long day.

As most of you know my father, Dan, Orangeyes passed away this morning. He stared down his 4th surgery right in the eye on June 20th after 88 days in the hospital. Due to reasons even the doctors don't understand he experienced multiple issues that he eventually succumbed to this morning. The doctor's, nurses and staff at Crouse Hospital did everything in their power to help my father battle for his life the last 2 weeks. And battle he did. I have never seen strength in another human being the way I witnessed in my father. Doctor's said for days there was no medical information to support how he was still alive. A nurse today said in all of his years in the ICU he has never seen a person fight to live more than my father. As we all know he had an extremely strong heart. It still feels like a raw deal but we have a very strong family and friends that have and will continue to support us. Many of the friends and supporters come from this site which my father was fiercely proud of and valued all of your friendships. So after 110 days in the hospital, as one poster put it, he is with Ernie Davis.

He was an amazing son, husband and father.

I have read all of your kind words today in my lowest of hours and it has given me great pride and strength. Some of your posts have brought me to tears. You are all amazing people.

My father was always looking for and delivering scoops and inside information. So in his honor I will give you all one last scoop from OE. His services will be held Tuesday from 4-7 pm at Buranich Funeral Home in Camillus. A mass will be held for him at Holy Family in Camillus at 10 am on Wednesday. He will be buried at Greenlawn Cemetary in Warners. When we viewed his final resting place, it looked just like a golf course. We heard a train blowing it's horn in the distance which sounded like the Express. We all said this is his perfect resting place. All of you are welcome to celebrate my father's amazing life.

A side note. My mother and father will be celebrating their 44th wedding anniversary this Friday July 18th. Pretty fitting if you ask me.

LGO!

War Damn OE!

Thank you Nico. He loved and respected you.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1069361#.U8HC1VLQeAW

Thank you Mike. Your articles are amazing.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...e_fan_dan_johnson_faces_major_surgery_on.html

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/201...hnson_man_behind_ernie_davis_statue_dies.html

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/07/reactions_pour_in_following_death_of_syracuse_superfan_dan_johnson.html

Dan's Obituary

http://obits.syracuse.com/obituarie...px?n=daniel-m-johnson&pid=171705780&fhid=4680

Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician piece

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/7...n-Dan-johnson-syracuse-fan-ernie-davis-orange

Dan's New York State USSSA Hall of Fame bio

http://www.nysusssa.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/manager-coach/Dan-Johnson.htm

Last edited:
It's been a long day.

As most of you know my father, Dan, Orangeyes passed away this morning. He stared down his 4th surgery right in the eye on June 20th after 88 days in the hospital. Due to reasons even the doctors don't understand he experienced multiple issues that he eventually succumbed to this morning. The doctor's, nurses and staff at Crouse Hospital did everything in their power to help my father battle for his life the last 2 weeks. And battle he did. I have never seen strength in another human being the way I witnessed in my father. Doctor's said for days there was no medical information to support how he was still alive. A nurse today said in all of his years in the ICU he has never seen a person fight to live more than my father. As we all know he had an extremely strong heart. It still feels like a raw deal but we have a very strong family and friends that have and will continue to support us. Many of the friends and supporters come from this site which my father was fiercely proud of and valued all of your friendships. So after 110 days in the hospital, as one poster put it, he is with Ernie Davis.

I have read all of your kind words today in my lowest of hours and it has given me great pride and strength. Some of your posts have brought me to tears. You are all amazing people.

My father was always looking for and delivering scoops and inside information. So in his honor I will give you all one last scoop from OE. His services will be held Tuesday from 4-7 pm at Buranich Funeral Home in Camillus. A mass will be held for him at Holy Family in Camillus at 10 am on Wednesday. He will be buried at Greenlawn Cemetary in Warners. When we viewed his final resting place, it looked just like a golf course. We heard a train blowing it's horn in the distance which sounded like the Express. We all said this is his perfect resting place. All of you are welcome to celebrate my father's amazing life.

A side note. My mother and father will be celebrating their 44th wedding anniversary this Friday July 18th. Pretty fitting if you ask me.

LGO!

War Damn OE!

God Bless. My families thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks for sharing that Onions! May you have peace in your life.

fwiw, in some of the darker moments of my life I have thought of the saying that Dr Seuss once said: "don't be sad when something ends, be happy that it happened"

Here's to finding peace and comfort in the coming days.

WAR DAMN OE!!!!

Brian thank you for thinking of all of us here at Syracusefan.com and taking the time to post during such a difficult time for your family. As they say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". Thinking of you, your mom, sister and all the grandchildren.

I am so sorry for your loss and your family will remain in my prayers. Your dad personified the quote I try to live by "the true measure of a man is how he treats someone who will do him no good" and your dad passed that quote with flying colors with all he did.

What a dignified response after all you and your family have been through! Your father , I'm sure is proud. We'll done, OO!

Words cannot express the loss you and your extended Orange family have experienced. God bless!

Brian, thank you for posting that. Your father was an incredible man. It's obvious from your tribute to your dad and the thoughtfulness it took to post this here for OE's legion of "brothers" and fellow fans, that you are cut from the same cloth. Your dad would be very proud of you.

May the cherished memories of your father's spirit grant you and your family peace and grace.

My thoughts are with you...

It's amazing that even if we never met him we feel that we knew him personally and that he was a close friend. Brian, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. As my Mom would have said, Dan was a true "mensch".

I never met your father, but "knew" him on here and send out my condolences and prayers to you and your family. He sure sounds like a great man, great father and the biggest of SU fans. We'll all miss him.

Like many have said on here, I never met Dan but even following his story here and hearing about his death have moved me to tears. It is moving to hear all of the local news outlets and blogs cover this as well as they have done. A normal guy like your dad could only hope to have such a impact in their life. It's a incredibly sad day indeed but I hope you gain strength in knowing what a impact your father had on the Syracuse sports community

RIP Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom