From Orangeyes' Family | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

From Orangeyes' Family

Thank you, Brian (Onions) for filling us in. This has been a long day for many. I doubt that few people in the history of the earth touched the lives of as many folks as your dad did. I not only treasured his daily posting of articles, but I watched for his take in other threads because I respected his opinion. Someone should try to create an anthology of his posts. He is missed already.

Thanks for thinking of us - your dad would have liked that. I am very thankful that our paths crossed. Orangeyes will be missed by everyone on this board whose lives he touched.

As I said in another post (paraphrasing the song) - if you believe in Orange Heaven, they just got a helluva man.

Rest In Peace Orange Legend.

It's been a long day.

As most of you know my father, Dan, Orangeyes passed away this morning. He stared down his 4th surgery right in the eye on June 20th after 88 days in the hospital. Due to reasons even the doctors don't understand he experienced multiple issues that he eventually succumbed to this morning. The doctor's, nurses and staff at Crouse Hospital did everything in their power to help my father battle for his life the last 2 weeks. And battle he did. I have never seen strength in another human being the way I witnessed in my father. Doctor's said for days there was no medical information to support how he was still alive. A nurse today said in all of his years in the ICU he has never seen a person fight to live more than my father. As we all know he had an extremely strong heart. It still feels like a raw deal but we have a very strong family and friends that have and will continue to support us. Many of the friends and supporters come from this site which my father was fiercely proud of and valued all of your friendships. So after 110 days in the hospital, as one poster put it, he is with Ernie Davis.

He was an amazing son, husband and father.

I have read all of your kind words today in my lowest of hours and it has given me great pride and strength. Some of your posts have brought me to tears. You are all amazing people.

My father was always looking for and delivering scoops and inside information. So in his honor I will give you all one last scoop from OE. His services will be held Tuesday from 4-7 pm at Buranich Funeral Home in Camillus. A mass will be held for him at Holy Family in Camillus at 10 am on Wednesday. He will be buried at Greenlawn Cemetary in Warners. When we viewed his final resting place, it looked just like a golf course. We heard a train blowing it's horn in the distance which sounded like the Express. We all said this is his perfect resting place. All of you are welcome to celebrate my father's amazing life.

A side note. My mother and father will be celebrating their 44th wedding anniversary this Friday July 18th. Pretty fitting if you ask me.

LGO!

War Damn OE!

Thank you Nico. He loved and respected you.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1069361#.U8HC1VLQeAW

Thank you Mike. Your articles are amazing.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...e_fan_dan_johnson_faces_major_surgery_on.html

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/201...hnson_man_behind_ernie_davis_statue_dies.html

Dan's Obituary

http://obits.syracuse.com/obituarie...px?n=daniel-m-johnson&pid=171705780&fhid=4680

Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician piece

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/7...n-Dan-johnson-syracuse-fan-ernie-davis-orange
Wishing you and your family the absolute best. Losing a parent is something you never get over.

Really enjoyed your Dad's posts and awesome effort. Sorry for your loss.

SUOrange44

Orange Eyes was more than just a regular to the board, he was a standout poster, and more importantly, a standout person. He welcomed a lot of us into his life, and even though I only met him briefly it was obvious what type of person he was.

Dan was the type of fan most everyone aspires to be.

RIP Dan, and best wishes to his family.

I never had the pleasure of meeting your father in person, but I felt I knew him well. He was a good and generous man. He elevated every conversation he engaged in. In this place, which often deals with the frivolous, he brought depth and humanity. There are many broken hearts today. Your father was loved.

I can't say anything more then has been already said. Meeting your father was amazing. My dad would have talked with him for hours if we didn't have a game to watch.

I'm sharing this screen shot... When I told the board about my fathers flood, your dad sent me a PM... He was sick, having a horrible day, and his main concern was helping my dad. I told him the best help he could give us was to get better.

Your dad was an amazing man. He touched so many people, many people who he never met. He will be missed by all orange nation

image-1058366229.jpg

I can't say anything more then has been already said. Meeting your father was amazing. My dad would have talked with him for hours if we didn't have a game to watch.

I'm sharing this screen shot... When I told the board about my fathers flood, your dad sent me a PM... He was sick, having a horrible day, and his main concern was helping my dad. I told him the best help he could give us was to get better.

Your dad was an amazing man. He touched so many people, many people who he never met. He will be missed by all orange nation

View attachment 17596
Bump. Of all your uploads - the pooches in the back of your pickup truck (almost positive one or both are genuinely smiling) to Christopher McCandless' bus where he met his fate to the local bar pics to pics of your recent trip to the Dome meeting greats with your father, this might just be the best upload to date.

There are some truly wonderful people on this board. The expressions of love and gratitude for Dan and his contributions to this forum have lifted my faith in humanity. Dan was a classy guy and deserves every tribute that he receives...and then some. You people have been great.

I'll say this...I've been an SU fan for decades. I always considered myself to be one of the truest and bluest followers of Syracuse sports. I've learned reading this board (and it's earlier versions) that there are fans that love and follow SU sports with even greater enthusiasm than I. In my mind Dan will always be THE # 1 Syracuse University sports fan. He was amazing.

It was an eye opening honor to witness this man's devotion.

The best to you and your family.

I never knew he was responsible for the Ernie Davis statue. Probably because he was much more interested in talking about and fighting for the things he loved than drawing attention to himself. What a great quality, I wish I had gotten the chance to meet him. RIP OE

That was a great post OO. There is no sense in this kind of loss only acceptance in the knowledge that your Father is doing great. Stay strong and may peace be with you and your family.

One of my favorite things about this board and the Fine Mess was meeting with your Dad. He was a font of information and just a fun guy. He always engaged my kids in conversation, and when he saw my oldest daughter running at a tailgate and told me, "that girl is an athlete" I knew he was on to something, and she's turned into a good one. I often sit 2-3 rows behind you and Dan at basketball games, and always stopped to see him at half time. Last year he pointed out Dave Bing and we had our pictures taken with him. This one is still in my phone and always will be...two amazing Orange legends. I don't know Mr. Bing, who was certainly gracious and kind with his time, but the most inspiring and wonderful Orange Man in this picture is Mr. Dan Johnson. My thoughts and prayers are with your mom and you, and your entire family. Dan will never be forgotten.

10551118_620888230902_1963235712722131875_n.jpg

I find myself moved to tears this morning from the passing of Dan.
Thought and prayers out to you and your family today and the weeks to come.
I'm occasionally on campus and can tell you that it will be hard for me to think of anyone but your dad as I pass the Ernie Davis statue on the Quad.
God Bless him.
War Damn OE

I have not posted in a long while, but when I saw the board, and all these messages, I felt compelled. I know nothing of your father from a personal stand point, but I know so much of his work. That says a lot! I hope time heals the empty space left in your heart, and the memory of the type of man your father was keeps you smiling.

RIP OE,
Thank you for showing me what it is to be a superfan

Brian we're all thinking about you, your young ones, your wife, your mom and the rest of your family. And we will for quite some time. In many ways that's one way to measure the magnitude of a man, what he's done and what he's accomplished and as evidenced by the reaction here and around Syracuse it's hard to adequately measure your dad.

He's off the charts.

In some ways this is extraordinary, especially by looking at what's going on here. Your dad was part of something larger than himself, part of a new trend in society that frankly it's amazing that a man of your dads generation was in the forefront leading the charge.

Social media (which of course is what this board is) has been shown to be both good and bad. That someone again of your dads generation helped make this site the great place it is is unusually cool. The larger than himself part was that he helped create a community here and improved it to such a large degree that I think only now that he's moved on to a better place will we see just how much of better site he made it here.

To be able to bring so many people together by sharing a love or passion for something is truly unique in this day and age. And then to enhance and improve peoples experience and to increase their happiness is an unbelievable feat. Your dad did this.

We're all scattered in a million different directions these days. The reality of the times separates family and friends all over the country. The tenor of the times makes meaningful new friendships later in life a challenge to achieve. This place has fostered that to a great degree and your dads role in this has been instrumental. This is no small accomplishment and is in many respects a great feat.

I know myself that over the years I don't see/talk/communicate with my own friends and family as much as I'd like but I do my Orange friends sometimes everyday. We all see one another at tailgates, games, connect here and have reveled in so many new aquaintences and new friendships with those others who share this SU passion. With shared goals to strive for some of which your dad took the lead on (ED statue, IPF, or just improvements in the program) it's become a communal thing.

You're dad became a good special friend to me from all this as have some others over the years too numerous to name now. I know the same was true for your dad. Even when on the other side of this and that with others on things (politics, a sports issue or whatever), he and they never let it become personal and stayed friends remembering that what really bonds those here is the love of all things SU. If that's not what it all about then I don't know what is. THAT IS what it's all about. People. Connections. Shared passion.

Your dad was a trailblazing ground breaking leader in this regard, and he might not have even realized it. This is what your dad fostered:

image.jpg

image.jpg

What's going on here is unique and is the best possible result of the website/social media era. I thank God for having gotten to know your dad and I know he's up in Orange heaven ready to look down on the success of the programs he loved so much. As someone else said elsewhere I see a lot of your dad in you and it is with that thought in mind that I send my families love and thoughts to your family. Hang in there bro and see you tues.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that Onions! May you have peace in your life.

fwiw, in some of the darker moments of my life I have thought of the saying that Dr Seuss once said: "don't be sad when something ends, be happy that it happened"

Here's to finding peace and comfort in the coming days.

WAR DAMN OE!!!!
This might seem a bit sappy, but the Dr. Seuss saying reminded me of this poem I included in my mom's eulogy in 2009. It has been attributed to David Harkins, and was used by the Queen of England for her mother's funeral in 2002:

You can shed tears because he is gone

Or you can smile because he has lived

You can close your eyes and pray he’ll come back

Or you can open your eyes and see all he left behind

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him

Or it can be full of the love you shared

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live only for yesterday

Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can grieve and remember only that he is gone

Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind

Be empty and go back

Or you can do what he’d want:

Smile, wipe away the tears, love, and go on.

So sorry for your loss. I am another who never met your father. However, following this board made me seem like I knew him very well. I would always marvel at his daily posting of articles and wondered how he found the time to accomplish that fete. I also wonder if he ever slept. Many mornings I would awaken from a sound sleep and go immediately to the daily articles and discover your father had posted them in the wee hours of the morning, I would continuously look for your father's postings in different threads. Reading his postings gave me more insight into a particular discussion or would give me an SU sports history update. He was a special person as is evident by the responses during his long illness and now following his passing. He obviously touched many people and will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of the OE family. He was a true SU patriot.

Last edited:
Thanks Onions. I live in Phoenix, AZ now (where I met Bruno Lucchese and his wife this winter). Any other east coast location and I would have been there (lived in New Jersey until 5 years ago). I know so many of your emotions as I lost my mom a few weeks ago. Also not in a way I expected, and after some amazing strength in recovery, just as you express here. In some ways that makes it hard as you start to thing they are invincible. I almost flew into Syracuse when I went back east for her funeral and if I did I was going to stop and visit your dad. But I ended up flying into NJ and then driving upstate. I'm from Gloversville, and that is where her funeral was.
Maybe I'll get to meet you at the Fine (hopefully renamed after your father by then) tailgate in October when I am in for the Fl. State game. I was going to have dinner with your dad and Peggy (bballbeadle) then. There will be an empty chair at that dinner, and an extra glass of wine will be drunk in his honor!!
Condolences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom