From the wheels nearly coming off to a season saving win. | Syracusefan.com

From the wheels nearly coming off to a season saving win.

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
What an odd 3 week strecth for this team/program. Coming off an impressive win at UVA we got dominated by a good but not great Hop team, then blew a very winnable game against Rutty by turning over the ball 40 times and not guarding Heninburg and then we go on the road and beat #3 Duke despite injuries and a faceoff unit in total disaray.

Lots of positives and negatives from the last 3 weeks, going to try and rotate between the two here as I touch mostly on the Duke game and where we go from here.

As I have said said it came this schedule seemed way to difficult for this squad (not sure even Albany would thrive against it) and I think that has already shown up in some games. There just isn't any break or breather for the squad since the Bingo game almost two months ago. I am not against SU playing a tough schedule as we have never ducked anyone but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. To expect a young team like this after losing so much senior presence especially on offense to take on this gauntlet was not well thought out. Its one thing if this was 2015 and we had a senior laden team with Rice, Staats, Galasso, Schoomaker and company to schedule like this but with a young team trying to find itself its a recipe for disaster. Kudos to the young guys and the team overall for being able to fight through it so far. Hopefully Desko realizes the mistake and makes a few corrections to the schedule or at least adds a Canisius or Siena to the schedule mid week so we can pickup would should be a much easier win at least on paper. As I mentioned before having the #1 SOS doesn't help much if we finish 7-8.

Looking back at JHU and Rutty, I thought a few people over at Laxpower really nailed in the syracuse thread. Powellfan22 who posts over here to had an excellent post after the RU game which echoed a lot of my own thoughts. He noted that the team especially offensively didn't seem to have an identity offensively and that players were having difficulty winning 1 on 1 matchups especially those drawing short sticks. He also mentioned (like we have on here) that SU seemed to be playing way to many SSDMs which along with playing 3 plus midlines didn't allow anyone to get into any sort of a rhythm. The Hopkins game just appeared to be a total collapse, the loss of Fernandez on the wings was massive and really hurt and the D just completely fall apart especially the SSDM and our crease defense or lack there of. Rutgers seemed to be a combination of blown opportunities, way way way to many turnovers, and an inability to slow down Henningburg. That was a game that was there for the taking and we laid in egg in that 4th quarter.

So what changed? Well a few things after watching that great victory over Duke. Getting Tyson Bomberry back was a god send. His presence cleaned up a lot of the issues we had with guys beng wide open on the crease. I wasn't a huge fan of the two penalties but he made it clear there was price to pay if you wanted to play on the crease. Mellen was superb as well, after would I would characterize as a less then stellar game last week. Holding Guterding to one goal with this Duke offense is nearly impossible. He also forced several turnoves with some outstanding checks which was great to see. SU also shortened up its SSDM rotation with mixed results. Dami and Hutching appeared to really struggle at times, Hutchings especialy was victimized on multiple occassions. That said Murphy seemed to play well as did Helmer when he took some runs with the SSDM. Don't believe Ford or O'Sullivan or Partmanian played at all. Schwasnick appears to have been out injured.

Offensively you saw an extremely impressive performance. To me it was no suprise that it was the attack breaking out that allowed this offense to look like a Syracuse offense. Solomon, Rehfuss, and Bombery all played well, especially Bomberry who finally looked comfortable at Attack. Duke appeared to be tryign to shut off whoever they were putting a SSDM on as Boyle pointed out making it a 4 on 4 scenario. SU did a good job of picking and screening to get better matchups and SU did a MUCH better job taking care of the ball then they had the last two weeks. Solomon and Seebold on that possession held onto the ball despite swarming double teams and Solomon came up big when Syracuse was desperate for a goal. Voigt had has his customary one slick goal and it was great to see Dearth FINALLY get off the schnide and score. The most impressive aspect for me was that Trimbo and Dordevic only had 2 goals between them until Trimbo's game winner. With teams forced to pay more attention to the rest of the office things should open up for them more and more. Thought our ball movement was as crisp as I had seen it all year, only one shot clock the entire game I believe. Loved what I saw from the man up unit, finally moved the ball around decisively and with purpose. Lane and the guys up top especially were looking to keep things moving and get the ball moving side to side quickly to get some openings/gaps/slides going. I think SU was only 1 of 3 but one of those was the one late in the game and on the other we had a good look but didn't bury it. I hope thats a sign of things to come moving forward.

Thought our poise late was pretty good outside of that one long scramble Duke scored on (Bomberry either has to pull that out our flush it. You can't get stonewalled there). Being able to win that draw and then effectively run out a minute + of time was a great thing to see. I though Solomon in particular did a nice job of dodging to open space and that spin move to get himself free was a thing of beauty. With that flag down I would have liked to have seen him either hold it until he lost it or if he is going to shoot it make that shot on the empty net versus shooting wide there. Ill take being up 2 with under 30 seconds and a flag down. Gotta give the officials some credit to for having the cajones to throw the flags there, to many times I have watched SU get assaulted in those situations and officials look the other way not wanting to throw a flag late. SU keeping its compsure (solomon) late after the penalties and the late push was also nice to see.

Going to talk about some personnel decisions, schedule thoughts and where we go from here in my follow up post. I wanted to break it up a little bit and post a thesis. Such an enormous win, could turn out to be a huge turning point.

No mention of Curry, I thought his dodging presence at the midfield against short sticks was a massive development in the game and potentially the season. Was really impressed with not only his shooting ability, but on the rip that Bomberry had, Curry threw a nice skip pass over the Duke defense.

No mention of Curry, I thought his dodging presence at the midfield against short sticks was a massive development in the game and potentially the season. Was really impressed with not only his shooting ability, but on the rip that Bomberry had, Curry threw a nice skip pass over the Duke defense.

I had him mentioend but then I had some computer issues and lost some of my post. Didn't have the time to redo it all hence the Part 2. I will definitely be mentionining him.

I had him mentioend but then I had some computer issues and lost some of my post. Didn't have the time to redo it all hence the Part 2. I will definitely be mentionining him.
Many of you guys have said from the beginning that this would be an up & down year due to our youth. Just curious how much of this roller coaster ride is due to the Mumps outbreak and the inability to play other teams this past fall?

Many of you guys have said from the beginning that this would be an up & down year due to our youth. Just curious how much of this roller coaster ride is due to the Mumps outbreak and the inability to play other teams this past fall?

Good point.Seems like there still is a lot of experimenting going on with so many different guys getting playing time.

I think its definitely playing an effect but I don't think you can blame it for all or even a majority of the issues. The team did get to finish up some practice time I believe in late November and early December that the NCAA ok'd. Missing those scrimmages definitely hurt because I think it robbed them off a chance to see some of the young guys against other quality teams and get a feel for what they needed to work on when practic opened in January. That being said they did add an extra scrimmage in January with Vermont with SU not playing any mid week games untl next week they have had at least 6 days in between every game. I think a bigger factor is that this a young team trying to break in a new starter at X and in the goal that was further hampered by a ridiculous schedule and some injuries.

Regarding ssdm. Why not try Martin when he's not needed at fogo. He looked good up top on man down with ss. Have to find a consistent foursome at ssdm so D can get in sync as we enter second half of season.imo Murphy has shown enuff to be one n Helmer another if he sticks with shortie.. Dearth to me is also an ideal candidate since he did a good job there last year but guess they are counting on him to provide sonme offense. He's a good two way player

Regarding ssdm. Why not try Martin when he's not needed at fogo. He looked good up top on man down with ss. Have to find a consistent foursome at ssdm so D can get in sync as we enter second half of season.imo Murphy has shown enuff to be one n Helmer another if he sticks with shortie.. Dearth to me is also an ideal candidate since he did a good job there last year but guess they are counting on him to provide sonme offense. He's a good two way player

No disrespect to Martin but I don't think he has the speed to play ssdm. I don't see him being able to chase a 1st line o middie around with a short stick.

Dearth got some decent run at ssdm last year and after some promising early returns he really struggled. I think that experiment is over. Dearth would havw benefited from a red shirt year but hes still just a soph, he needs more time to become a high end d1 middie.

No disrespect to Martin but I don't think he has the speed to play ssdm. I don't see him being able to chase a 1st line o middie around with a short stick.

Dearth got some decent run at ssdm last year and after some promising early returns he really struggled. I think that experiment is over. Dearth would havw benefited from a red shirt year but hes still just a soph, he needs more time to become a high end d1 middie.

Has Devon Sullivan been on the field yet? I remember seeing him getting some time at ssdm last season

K. Was not that familiar with Martin but he did play a little lsm last year and he appears to have decent lateral movement on man down. Anyway, his fogo play in 4th q was huge the other day. Fan of Dearth, big fast kid who can be physical. Think scoring that opening goal takes the monkey off his back and he will have a good second half. Thought he played ssdm fairly well last year but Ill take your take. Auditions at ssdm could likely end soon as probably best to settle on a foursome. Important role , D starts from top down and having a strong ssdm unit made all the difference to Towson last year.

Thought one of those penalties on Bomberry was a weak call. Never should have been 2 minutes. Bomberry is kind of a throw back to the hard driving Sol Bliss days. He gave a hard shoulder to the chest.

Excellent call Jeremy on what a difference Bomberry makes for the defense. Hop had free reign of our crease. I doubt they would have blown us out if he was in the game.

Loved how Solomon stepped up in the 4th quarter - beat his man for the goal to bring them within one then the nice assist to Bomberry to tie the game. Best quarter he's played all year. On the downside, this was the 6th game in a row giving up double digits goals. Thought Kennedy and Mellen did a really nice job, but as a team they continue to perform below the line.

As for the schedule, I'm actually fine with it - iron sharpens iron. Besides, is it really all that terrible? Binghamton, Navy, Colgate and Hobart are all unranked and boarderline terrible teams. And I am not at all impressed with Virginia (talk about a weak schedule) who will again be the odd man out in the ACC.

Loved how Solomon stepped up in the 4th quarter - beat his man for the goal to bring them within one then the nice assist to Bomberry to tie the game. Best quarter he's played all year. On the downside, this was the 6th game in a row giving up double digits goals. Thought Kennedy and Mellen did a really nice job, but as a team they continue to perform below the line.

As for the schedule, I'm actually fine with it - iron sharpens iron. Besides, is it really all that terrible? Binghamton, Navy, Colgate and Hobart are all unranked and boarderline terrible teams. And I am not at all impressed with Virginia (talk about a weak schedule) who will again be the odd man out in the ACC.

Regarding the schedule I don't think your giving some of the remaining teams there due. Bingo as the opening game was fine I think opening up with a "lesser" opponent almost always makes sense. UVA is a conf opponent so I don't really include them as we play them every year As for Colgate, Navy and Hobart I certainly wouldn't call them borderline terrible teams. Navy hit a rough patch like we did and nearly fell apart but are now 5-4 and 4-1 in the Patriot league and beat Leigh last Saturday 10-7 at Leigh. There likely to have a huge advantage at the faceoff X with Varello's brother and if they continue to bulid momentum could be a very difficult opponent when we see them on 4/21/17. The good news is that they have Colgate and Army back to back before they place us which should tell us where they are at as a team.

Colgate got off to a great start including beating Cornell before they lost Abbadessa there top attackmen to injury for I believe the year. They hit a bad patch after his injury but seemed to have re-grouped the last three weeks belowing out Boston U and Canisius and beating Army 8-6 last Saturday. They have 4 games plus the Patriot league conf tourney before they place us. Next two games are Loyola and Navy but then they get Holy Cross and Lafayette. They could have 9 or 10 wins bythe time we see them.

As for Hobart the Syracuse game is always there superbowl. I don't think there as good a team as they have been the last few years but they will have a week to prepare for us as as they play Canisius tonight and are off until our game next Tuesday SU has a young team that may look at Hobart's record and think they can let up which would be a massive mistake.

Regarding the schedule I don't think your giving some of the remaining teams there due. Bingo as the opening game was fine I think opening up with a "lesser" opponent almost always makes sense. UVA is a conf opponent so I don't really include them as we play them every year As for Colgate, Navy and Hobart I certainly wouldn't call them borderline terrible teams. Navy hit a rough patch like we did and nearly fell apart but are now 5-4 and 4-1 in the Patriot league and beat Leigh last Saturday 10-7 at Leigh. There likely to have a huge advantage at the faceoff X with Varello's brother and if they continue to bulid momentum could be a very difficult opponent when we see them on 4/21/17. The good news is that they have Colgate and Army back to back before they place us which should tell us where they are at as a team.

Colgate got off to a great start including beating Cornell before they lost Abbadessa there top attackmen to injury for I believe the year. They hit a bad patch after his injury but seemed to have re-grouped the last three weeks belowing out Boston U and Canisius and beating Army 8-6 last Saturday. They have 4 games plus the Patriot league conf tourney before they place us. Next two games are Loyola and Navy but then they get Holy Cross and Lafayette. They could have 9 or 10 wins bythe time we see them.

As for Hobart the Syracuse game is always there superbowl. I don't think there as good a team as they have been the last few years but they will have a week to prepare for us as as they play Canisius tonight and are off until our game next Tuesday SU has a young team that may look at Hobart's record and think they can let up which would be a massive mistake.

You're talking degrees of good or bad - and maybe my use of the word 'terrible' was misplaced (except for Binghamton). My point is that at the end of the year you get a lot more out of playing teams like Rutgers, Cornell, Army and Albany than you do out of playing a team like Binghamton and the other teams that are not top 20 opponents. Yes, it's disappointing to lose to Army and Rutgers, but you could also argue that they got a lot out of the lose to Rutgers on the road because they came right back and played with a sense of urgency that has been lacking most of the year against Duke...a conference opponent. Agree to disagree I guess.

You're talking degrees of good or bad - and maybe my use of the word 'terrible' was misplaced (except for Binghamton). My point is that at the end of the year you get a lot more out of playing teams like Rutgers, Cornell, Army and Albany than you do out of playing a team like Binghamton and the other teams that are not top 20 opponents. Yes, it's disappointing to lose to Army and Rutgers, but you could also argue that they got a lot out of the lose to Rutgers on the road because they came right back and played with a sense of urgency that has been lacking most of the year against Duke...a conference opponent. Agree to disagree I guess.

Well we did beat Army so that one at least worked out. ;)

As for the rest of the schedule I have no problem playing a challenging slate but I think this one is overkill. I didn't see the need to schedule both Rutgers and Navy in the same year when you already have Army, Albany, JHU, Cornell and Colgate on the slate. I think a game against a Siena/Holy Cross right before the ACC tourney makes a lot more sense then playing a team like Navy. Just a lot to ask this team to play a good to great team week in and week out with few breaks in between.

Think scheduling was intended to further raise an already tough SOS as well as attendance and visibility. Thought we'd likely record wins vs Cornell, Colgate, Navy and Hobart but no givens with the first three. The first two are definitely better than expected. Cornell was hindered early by face-off problems but they have resolved that and been on an impressive roll. Twenty goals against Penn speaks volumes about their firepower and their D has improved. That is a pik em game at best .Colgate has also been a surprise, usually a competitive game as is. Good offense, good fogo and this is their chance. Cuse can't afford to have a letdown . Navy win over Lehigh just tells us what we knew, they are an big upgrade to Sienna. Varello vs Varello will be an interesting twist. Hobart should be the breather despite any heightened emotions. I understand the vantage points of both Jeremy and Purple and somewhat flip on the pros and cons depending on game results. We are young and certainly being hardened but hard for any team to be up every week. Great Duke road win and one night/ day to relax and savor before planning for ND

Has Devon Sullivan been on the field yet? I remember seeing him getting some time at ssdm last season

Sullivan wasn't on the initial roster for 2018 that came out in January, he subsequently was on it a few weeks later when it was updated which I assume to mean he has rejoined the team. At this point he hasn't played this year as far as I know so he could be red-shirting or under some sort of punishment if that late roster add was due to disciplinary purposes. Now I am just guessing on that last part I am not saying he did anything wrong just spitballing. Sullivan did get some run last year as you noted and I thought he did OK. I think right now SU is looking to get there SSDM rotation to a core group so I don' think there looking to add yet another guy to the position. That said if the unit continues to struggle and they aren't red-shirting him I could see them giving him a run again.

His "man" was Van Raaphorst one of the best defenders in the ACC.

His "man" was Van Raaphorst one of the best defenders in the ACC.
Dang right, always draws a good pole. Beat Van Rap to pull within one then splits the double team of Raaphorst and Lindsay drawing a late slide from Harris to pass to a wide open Bomberry on crease to tie game. Appreciate what he brings , Solomon is a gamer.

Dang right, always draws a good pole. Beat Van Rap to pull within one then splits the double team of Raaphorst and Lindsay drawing a late slide from Harris to pass to a wide open Bomberry on crease to tie game. Appreciate what he brings , Solomon is a gamer.
Agreed. He was seemingly the only one on the field on our offense that seemed like he wanted to be there against towson.

Sullivan wasn't on the initial roster for 2018 that came out in January, he subsequently was on it a few weeks later when it was updated which I assume to mean he has rejoined the team. At this point he hasn't played this year as far as I know so he could be red-shirting or under some sort of punishment if that late roster add was due to disciplinary purposes. Now I am just guessing on that last part I am not saying he did anything wrong just spitballing. Sullivan did get some run last year as you noted and I thought he did OK. I think right now SU is looking to get there SSDM rotation to a core group so I don' think there looking to add yet another guy to the position. That said if the unit continues to struggle and they aren't red-shirting him I could see them giving him a run again.

Total speculation...but maybe Sullivan was the member of the team who had the Mumps? Maybe its health-related red shirt?

Total speculation...but maybe Sullivan was the member of the team who had the Mumps? Maybe its health-related red shirt?

Yes I think that definitely could be a possibility it would explain why he hasn't gotten a chance at SDDM despite us playing 6+ guys there. Hopefully one of the reporters who has access to the weekly PC will pick up on this and ask Desko.

I have watched ND against Michigan and Ohio State. They will be very tough. But the reason I am writing is to ask if anyone has noticed Ryder Garnsey over the past two years. As a freshman, he was unstoppable, as good as any young attack I have seen, deadly from x to crease leftie low to high. Very quick stick, handle was exceptional. Now, he does not start, looks like he's injured when he runs, can't move very well, gives up the ball instead of taking on his defender, still very dangerous, but nothing close to previous year. What's happened to him? Or am I wrong about this? Have I overstated his performance as a freshman. None of the tv commentators ever seem to notice except to remark that he is not starting. He seems to be out of shape perhaps requiring coach to hold him back in first half in order to play him throughout the fourth quarter. ND does well without him, but against Ohio State he sparked them in the fourth. Just another human puzzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom