Fun Game to Watch | Syracusefan.com

Fun Game to Watch

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
We had a small tailgate before the game. LincolnCuse, OrangeXtreme, TexanMark, with special appearances by Program Joe Godley "Hey!" and Niskayuna dad and son, who enjoyed their coneys very much. Props to LC for his buffalo wing dip, to Mark for bring a lot of stuff and to OX for bringing his appetite.

I didn't hear the Niskayunans ask about coneys, which is weird (I have relatives in Schenectday who love them, can't remember the name for them, but always ask me to bring them to family gatherings: please bring the croakies!) . Maybe Wegman's has brought Hoffman's/civilization to the Albany frontier area. Possible.

Regarding the game, first props to Bryant for bringing a bunch of fans, certainly several hundred. They came to the game with a lot of energy and excitement (but not enough clothes, it was a cold tailgate for many of them and they were astonished by the strength of the wind). But tailgate they did, shouting and cheering, almost all students. I suspect some of them may have indulged in underage illicit use of alcoholic beverages, but I could be mistaken.

Too bad they were never invited to the Big East; they brought more fans and more noise to the Dome than the awful fanbases at Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Rutgers and UConn ever brought. And their fans had a sense of humor and didn't hate themselves and the world, like so many of the sad fans of teams that were members of the league formerly known as the Big East.

Really poor turnout by SU fans for this game. Even some diehards elected to still this one out. Mother's Day and lawn mowing duties took their toll on the Orange faithful. Pretty shameful even given the date; this was the last time to watch the number 1 team in the country this year in the Dome.

Hard to win a game losing all but one faceoff. SU did it with a very efficient offense (Bryant tried man and zone defenses and were equally incompetent with both, plus their goalie was only a rumor), some tremendous sticking checking by the SU defense (once they turned the heat up around the start of the 2nd quarter, it was lights out for the Bulldogs), and some decent goalie play by Dom, especially in the 2nd half (that seems to be a trend with him).

OX thought that Desko started using Harris on faceoffs because he came to the conclusion we had no chance to win one, so we might as well get our best defense in place to try and get the ball back, right from the start. Probably a good call. Even when Daddio 'won' a faceoff, he was so spastic that he couldn't pick up the ball and Bryant ended up with it anyway. And Daddio didn't win many anyway. Harris didn't even try to win the faceoffs when he was in; but he was a big part of the uber aggressive defense SU threw at the Bulldogs immediately after they won a faceoff. Also, when Daddio was in, and lost the draw, Bryant would keep their talented faceoff guy on the field to take advantage of his enormous advantage in athletic ability over Daddio, who moves around like he went to Rutgers.

Fun game to attend. Let's hope Bill Orange can take us through next weekend so we can all meet in Philly for another Final Four. I am itching to try a roast pork/broccoli rabe sandwich at the Reading Market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom