Funderburk transferring to Norfolk St | Syracusefan.com

Funderburk transferring to Norfolk St

I was so excited when he transferred here. One of the biggest disappointments in quite a while here along with Wayne Williams. I wish him well at Norfolk State, though. They are a pretty decent program and it is close to home for him IIRC.

He probably missed playing Rutgers
i do, was developing into a great rivalry game, close road game in a excellent tailgating atmosphere, especially in johnson park. good nj exposure for recruiting a talent rich state

I wish him the best.

That Shafer let him go makes me think that Lester and Shafer believe the new kids have more potential than Funderburk, a 4-Star recruit has.

I wish him the best.

That Shafer let him go makes me think that Lester and Shafer believe the new kids have more potential than Funderburk, a 4-Star recruit has.
You compare the reality of Funderburk 4 years out from a star rating, and one year to play, versus the new kid who gets his slot. Or against Enoicy who gets his reps.

He is an SU grad - wish him well in a better opportunity.

i do, was developing into a great rivalry game, close road game in a excellent tailgating atmosphere, especially in johnson park. good nj exposure for recruiting a talent rich state
Maybe one day again soon. We've got work to do first. I'd rather right the ship first. Totally agree that it could be good for recruiting, but only if we're sure to be competitive or win. There's a lot to be lost if we don't show out

Hope the kid got his degree. If anything the SU degree could have helped him in the future. I don't blame if he got his degree and wants PT at the 1-AA level.

Hope the kid got his degree. If anything the SU degree could have helped him in the future. I don't blame if he got his degree and wants PT at the 1-AA level.

Paper said he graduated in May, so it sounds like the move was best for both parties. Can't blame SU for giving him a shot and hoping he'd match his potential, or for suggesting he move along for his final year.

Paper said he graduated in May, so it sounds like the move was best for both parties. Can't blame SU for giving him a shot and hoping he'd match his potential, or for suggesting he move along for his final year.
If he graduated then I don't blame him or SU if he decided to move on. He wouldn't have left if PT was going to be there no need to stay and be a part-time player when he can get PT at the 1-AA and be content with a shot at the NFL.

This was a recent picture of the Oscar Smith state champs members. They all underachieved on the field. Quinta,got a SU degree, Phillips Sims who was the #1 QB in nation got beat out at Bama, transferred to Virginia and didnt pan out. Raysean Richardson who had a SU offer, didnt pan out at Temple. Jaston George barely played at Cuse but graduated. Dont know the young man on the right. Wish the best for these kids. Hopefully they all got their degrees and live successful lives.

image1.PNG

You compare the reality of Funderburk 4 years out from a star rating, and one year to play, versus the new kid who gets his slot. Or against Enoicy who gets his reps.

He is an SU grad - wish him well in a better opportunity.

Correct, his 4-star rating was a few years ago. However, the states that Shafer told QF that SU was going in a different direction. Thus, my original statement. If it was worth the scholarship to bring QF back, he would have been told as much, not what the article states Shafer told him.

Heard 2nd or 3rd hand that Coaches thought Funderburke was hugely overrated out of HS and that plagued him through his career.

I believe it was in child studies, so he got his degree which is good!

He should learn one of the best cheers in college sports:

Our girls don't smoke,

Our girls don't drink,

Norfolk, Norfolk!
I heard that cheer from a stripper on-stage in the burlesque theater on S. Salina in 1964!

I'll take my chances with a dozen 4-stars.

If half flame out, you are left with a half-dozen 4-stars.
That's right. There are no guarantees and the ratings can be subjective and arbitrary (they can't watch every potential player). But (generally), the more stars the higher the probability.

I heard that cheer from a stripper on-stage in the burlesque theater on S. Salina in 1964!
Does she still work there?

all I know is I watched this kid on ESPN in high school playing against one of the Ohio powerhouses and he was lights out. Man amongst boys on the field. though Oscar Smith got curb-stomped by the Ohio team. I think he finished with 2 TDs and well over 200 yards receiving in the game. Whatever kept him off the field wasn't athletic ability and catching the football.

Last edited: