Funderburk | Syracusefan.com

Funderburk

Orangeman83

Walk On
Really thought we would see more from funderburk at the spring game, but he was pretty quiet on saturday. Any thoughts?

I think it's safe to say this guy was overrated coming out of high school.

I think it's safe to say this guy was overrated coming out of high school.

i don't think that's true at all. he made a couple catches. plus we basically ran the same play to the slot receiver the entire game as well as rotating in what seemed like 20 wr's. he seems to be the smoothest wr we have on the roster. last year he was basically benched because of off the field issues, it wasn't his talent level.

Which is scary in that we have at least 5 more coming in in August! Somebody's got to do a position change I would think...
or almost all frshamn wr redshirt except ishmael

Reasons:

1.) he's our "secret" weapon
2.) it was the spring game
3.) scripted play sequence did not have them throwing deep balls
4.) it's Quinda Funderburg, just an FYI

Reasons:

Randy Moss after he was traded from Oakland to New England in 2007 was injured about five practices into training camp and didn't suit up again until opening day... and then BOOM 23 touchdowns.

SU athletics has his name listed a Quinta Funderburk
http://www.cuse.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10948&path=football

900x900px-LL-658002b7_joke_over_your_head.jpeg

Reasons:

I'm fine with this except it is a little reminiscent of how Ashton was going to be the next great thing last year. He did look good in the Spring Scrimmage and I hope the coaching staff (and Ashton) has finally got things sorted in using him to maximize our offense.

I'm very excited to see what receivers take off this year and hopefully QF will be one of those guys. My feeling is that we are going to have XYZ amount of receivers have good games this year and depending on matchups and SU takes advantage of defensive weaknesses. If the line can give Hunt time and he can recognize the weakest link...good things will be happening for the O.

I'm fine with this except it is a little reminiscent of how Ashton was going to be the next great thing last year. He did look good in the Spring Scrimmage and I hope the coaching staff (and Ashton) has finally got things sorted in using him to maximize our offense.

Nothing like Ashton. Ashton played RB as a frosh (switching from QB) -- behind two vets and was the only frosh skill player in the Marrone era to have any impact at all, other than PTG returning kick-offs. First season at WR, Ashton had 40-plus receptions to lead the team. Might not have matched all high expectations, but the talent was evident.

What has Funderburk (who has always been at the same position) done, in open practices or games? One real significant catch against BC. Otherwise, he is in a big bunch (grouped with Flemming & Cornelius & Avant & Lewis) behind the WRs who have actually performed (West, Estime, Broyld, Kobena). Hoping for the best but he has to show it.

Nothing like Ashton. Ashton played RB as a frosh (switching from QB) -- behind two vets and was the only frosh skill player in the Marrone era to have any impact at all, other than PTG returning kick-offs. First season at WR, Ashton had 40-plus receptions to lead the team. Might not have matched all high expectations, but the talent was evident.

What has Funderburk (who has always been at the same position) done, in open practices or games? One real significant catch against BC. Otherwise, he is in a big bunch (grouped with Flemming & Cornelius & Avant & Lewis) behind the WRs who have actually performed (West, Estime, Broyld, Kobena). Hoping for the best but he has to show it.

I agree, and that was my point. Perhaps its that he wasn't given a position to stick too but I think a lot of that was his (reported) inability to grasp the playbook. He has always been touted to have a world of talent and expectations have been very high from the fan base. Whether that was based on reality or hope, I don't know. All I'm saying is that it turns the fan base rabid when folks pump up players to be the next great thing when they haven't shown it yet. I'm all for hoping, I'm all for rooting for the team to make strides. What I am not for is when players don't meet expectations (again, whether realistic or hopeful) and there is undue criticism of the player.

Let's let the the the kid with the ridiculously great name played it out before expecting him to be the next great receiver for SU. And if he doesn't pan out, then he didn't. I'll say, however, that there is good reason to be optimistic about our passing game next season.

I agree, and that was my point. ...

Let's let the the the kid with the ridiculously great name played it out before expecting him to be the next great receiver for SU. And if he doesn't pan out, then he didn't. I'll say, however, that there is good reason to be optimistic about our passing game next season.

Yes -- agree. We should be optimistic about the passing game because the OC and QB coach are into their season 2; because Hunt and his principal receivers & TE are all back and should be much improved, and Estime has proved he is the real deal. I am skeptical that the frosh or the stockpiled names at WR (Funderburk, Lewis, etc) will make a big difference, this season.

My issue with your post was only about Broyld -- who has shown he can play, and now has a position.

our wr's look ready for a breakout year fundy included

Yes -- agree. We should be optimistic about the passing game because the OC and QB coach are into their season 2; because Hunt and his principal receivers & TE are all back and should be much improved, and Estime has proved he is the real deal. I am skeptical that the frosh or the stockpiled names at WR (Funderburk, Lewis, etc) will make a big difference, this season.

My issue with your post was only about Broyld -- who has shown he can play, and now has a position.

Completely agreed, and not to divert from the course here, but, this is my thought on QB/WR/TE quartet. Hunt, Broyld, Estime and Parris all started last year. They all have two (2) more seasons to play with one another unless something unforeseen happens. It's not often that you get to see a group this large grow with one another. Standard thought process would lead you to believe that last year is the worst year that they'll have together. This isn't even accounting for the depth behind them. This group could be very dangerous if they continue to progress, they all have unique talents and abilities that can compliment one another. Our passing game will be significantly improved.

Now throw in various slot weapons and outside receivers, like Funderburke, and I dont really see enough balls to be thrown around the field.

Fair enough.

While he may seem like a ?, IMO he looked pretty good, he will see the field, and anything he provides will be a plus.:noidea:

Attachments

• GEDC0629 (640x480).jpg
    GEDC0629 (640x480).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 102
I heard that Ritchy Dene, Ritchy Rene and Ritchy Desire were all going to give Funderburg a run for his money on the depth chart this year.

I heard that Ritchy Dene, Ritchy Rene and Ritchy Desire were all going to give Funderburg a run for his money on the depth chart this year.

Also, Ryan Naseeeb may be coming back for a game in September and Don Marrone just finished up his first year in Buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom