Funderburke granted release--will seek to transfer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Funderburke granted release--will seek to transfer

I hope someone tells Jake to keep quiet with that stuff. It might rub some guys the wrong way since it seems like Funderburke certainly has his friends on the team.
I tend to agree. This was basically my reaction:

simpsons-awkward-collar-pull-o.gif

But that said, Pickard seems like a guy who's going to wind up being a team captain sooner than later. Just gives off that vibe.

Here's my list of players in their last year of eligibility...

Julian Whigham
Ashton Broyld
Luke Arciniega
Oliver Vigille
Terrel Hunt
Ryan Norton
John Raymon
Donnie Simmons
Robert Trudo
Michael Lasker
Nick Robinson
Ivan Foy
Wayne Williams
Riley Dixon
That's a productive group. The next two years are going to see alot of fresh faces.

Oh, by the way...shots fired by Jake Pickard on Twitter yesterday. Said something along the lines of, "We have a 4-star transferring because he didn't get enough PT. You can have your stars, they don't matter on a college field."
Maybe I'm reading it differently, but, I don't see that as a big knock on Funderburke... I see that statement as more or less stating that stars don't matter.

Pickard's a good communicator, and intelligent, hard for me to believe he's trying to come across as all guns blazing before he hits campus.

Maybe I'm reading it differently, but, I don't see that as a big knock on Funderburke... I see that statement as more or less stating that stars don't matter.

Pickard's a good communicator, and intelligent, hard for me to believe he's trying to come across as all guns blazing before he hits campus.

I can see it that way, but it's hard to get the context on twitter and I could see older guys on the team seeing it as a shot at a teammate.

does anyone have a good idea of how often transfers like this work out? russell wilson is easy to remember but the ones that don't work out are pretty forgettable

if you think a player is transferring away from an idiot coach (like tom o'brien), it's a pretty good bet. but if you respect the coach, there's probably a good reason the kid is transferring.

I have no sense of loss with this guy out. We are covered well at WR with the exception of elite speed. Actually the whole team needs more speed. I like Ishmael and Lewis. Ben Lewis makes for an excellent possession receiver.Steve gives us a home run threat if Hunt can tag him down field. The same for Estime . Broyld is playing keep away with the end-zone.Custis once again isn't being talked about or Enoicy for that matter. Maybe Dunkeqerger can make the T positionE viable once again.Erv Phillips is a factor in the slot as was recently reported. Its been a very long time since that position has made a big impact contribution in a game.

Last edited:
does anyone have a good idea of how often transfers like this work out? russell wilson is easy to remember but the ones that don't work out are pretty forgettable

if you think a player is transferring away from an idiot coach (like tom o'brien), it's a pretty good bet. but if you respect the coach, there's probably a good reason the kid is transferring.
I think the biggest difference here is not the respect for the coach, as much as the respect for the player. Russell Wilson started as a Frosh and was first team all ACC in that year. Funderburke has never made all ACC at any level. I like his potential and I wish him the best, but it seems it just never materialized for him at Syracuse.

I hope someone tells Jake to keep quiet with that stuff. It might rub some guys the wrong way since it seems like Funderburke certainly has his friends on the team.

I hope they don't. He's gunning for their playing time. Quinta had every opportunity to earn playing time, he didn't take advantage of it. Jake was just telling it how it is. The players will get over it.

Why not give him the option to return? What's there to lose or gain?

If every kid shows in August we'll be bringing in the max 25 so we would not be able to early enroll and back data anybody (for Jan 2016). It's unlikely everyone will be qualified and show up come August.

Based on Xtreme's numbers we can sign a class of 14 PLUS however many we need to get to 85. How many short are we now?

Not sure if it was mentioned here or not yet but Hunt said something bout this. There were other issues.

Boyd was also a 4 star recurit and has yet to score a TD in college

JarHeadJim said:
Boyd was also a 4 star recurit and has yet to score a TD in college

He scored his freshman year. But your point is still good. He's needs a big year.

I know some of you guys live for this stuff, i.e. recruiting, LOI, transfers, etc. I used to be the same way but I have to say it's pointless, same with the NFL draft. I used to get so hyped for all of it. After 20+ years of living it day in and day out, I decided what is the point. The hype machine runs in high gear but means nothing come Sept. So many promising names, Funderburke, Drew Allen, Collier, Preaster, Baskin, and on and on and on. Until they make the 2-deep, make grades, and prove themselves when it counts, nothing else matters. The best WR we've had in a decade was a 2-star recruited by an assistant basketball coach. Our best QB in the past 10 years was a 2-star with 0 Div1 offers and now plays for the NY Giants. The NFL draft is the same way, seems like about 1/2 of round 1-3 draftees are gone in 3 years or less, and i can't even imagine the number of round 4-7 guys coaching HS ball at this point.