Status
Not open for further replies.

CuseLegacy

Free Article

October 28, 2015

Major Dome Renovations Underway?
Scott Brown

CuseConfidential.com

A few weeks ago CuseConfidential.com received information pertaining to the options that Syracuse University was weighing when it came to what the venue for future events would be. The source who indicated that Syracuse was considering a slew of changes, asked that the information be kept until after the board considered the options in November. However, with Syracuse.com reporting on the issue and leaking some of the information, it seems as if now is as good a time as ever to fill our members in on some privy inside information.

According to the source, the university is highly considering keeping the main sports arena on campus and remodeling and renovating the Carrier Dome. From what we gather, the bidding process for the project is underway as we speak and could range in the upper hundred million dollar range with a projection between $400 and $500 million dollars. Syracuse, which has been considering moving the venue to a downtown location, seems to have cooled on that idea and is now looking towards retaining an on campus dome.

From what we have heard, the university is looking to make the Carrier Dome more modern and aesthetically pleasing from the outside, and one of the most modern facilities on the inside. Below is a beginners list of what could possibly be on the table when the board reviews the options in November.

• Three of the sides of the Dome would be expanded:

On the east side, Archbold Gymnasium would become attached to the current structure and renovated to include new basketball courts and other sports features as well as a "museum" to honor the rich tradition and history of Syracuse University Athletics.

To the north, the Dome would eliminate Crouse Dr. and would expand into the Faulk College of Sport and Human Dynamics where new additions are to be made.

To the west, the Dome will push out to Irving Ave where a 6 to 8 story hotel and parking garage would be attached to the dome, much like the Rogers Center in Toronto. It is unknown if the rooms will overlook the field or not.
  • The south side of the dome will become larger as well to keep the symmetry, but also to expand the concourse and allow for the renovation of new concession stands (which is a point of emphasis with the expansion of the three other sides as well). This will not affect SUNY ESF in any way.
  • The locker rooms are to be expanded, renovated, and updated.
  • The roof would look less like a big balloon and more like a solid, metal structure. Again, modeled perhaps after Lucas Oil Stadium, windows around the outside of the roof will allow natural sunlight to enter the stadium. The idea of having the roof retract is still on the table but to a much smaller scale.
  • Luxury boxes are to be renovated and more added.
  • Seating is to be changed, reconfigured, and more added.
  • The stadium would have both a football field and a basketball court permanently built. The basketball court would be "stored away" during football games but moved mechanically to lie over the football field when needed. The entire process would be automated including the moving of the seating for basketball games.
  • Whether or not the new Carrier Dome will be equipped with air conditioning is not known at this time.

The process would begin as soon as the basketball season ended and would most likely continue beyond the start of the 2016 football season creating numerous problems. One of the biggest is what Syracuse will do for their home games? Bussing the team to Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo seems to make the most sense if the scheduling can match. MetLife Stadium shouldn't be off the table for consideration and it would seem as if the University of Buffalo's Stadium is too small (at 29,000 capacity). There will certainly be many avenues explored to make the situation the best that it can be. Whatever the decision, the athletic department is sure to meet backlash from the fans. In the long run, the changes that are on the table are exactly what the aging concrete structure needs to make Syracuse a more inviting venue for recruits, players, and fans from all over.

Tonight in DC, I listened to a presentation on the evolution of the campus, including dome renovations over the next 25 years. Very interesting to see a visual representation of the renovations and look at the future. Should you be ticked off about lack of parking now, steer clear of this presentation. What's left is going bye bye. However, south campus may become that huge lot we all have been waiting for. Take a look at it if you can, I think our beloved campus is in for some big time changes.

Also for those who loved lectures in Grant Auditorium, say your goodbyes soon!

Last edited:
Tonight in DC, I listen to a presentation on the evolution of the campus, including dome renovations over the next 25 years. Very interesting to see a visual representation of the renovations and look at the future. Should you be ticked off about lack of parking now, steer clear of this presentation. What's left is going bye bye. However, south campus may become that huge lot we all have been waiting for. Take a look at it if you can, I think our beloved campus is in for some big time changes.

Also for those who loved lectures in Grant Auditorium, say your goodbyes soon!
Sooo...over the next 25 years? Exactly how far out is the completion of the Dome renovation part of this whole thing?

Because we need to get that announced ASAP. If anything will bolster recruiting and - if Shafer does in fact get replaced - help entice a coach, that's what it'll be.

Sooo...over the next 25 years? Exactly how far out is the completion of the Dome renovation part of this whole thing?

Because we need to get that announced ASAP. If anything will bolster recruiting and - if Shafer does in fact get replaced - help entice a coach, that's what it'll be.
It's built into Phases, as of now dome is in Phase 1 with new Vet Center. Depends on funding though and of course plans for dome are changing daily. However the renderings of it look amazing

jr4750 said:
Tonight in DC, I listen to a presentation on the evolution of the campus, including dome renovations over the next 25 years. Very interesting to see a visual representation of the renovations and look at the future. Should you be ticked off about lack of parking now, steer clear of this presentation. What's left is going bye bye. However, south campus may become that huge lot we all have been waiting for. Take a look at it if you can, I think our beloved campus is in for some big time changes. Also for those who loved lectures in Grant Auditorium, say your goodbyes soon!

You described West Campus. Gonna stretch from the current fine lot up to and around the Dome.

It's built into Phases, as of now dome is in Phase 1 with new Vet Center. Depends on funding though and of course plans for dome are changing daily. However the renderings of it look amazing
Probably a dumb q but is this available to view online?

You described West Campus. Gonna stretch from the current fine lot up to and around the Dome.
Yes west campus is a big site for future dorms, housing. Univserity wants to bring 2700 beds from south campus to main campus and basically eliminate housing on south

Probably a dumb q but is this available to view online?
Not sure. I know you're in AZ but there's a presentation in Baltimore tomorrow night! :)

I imagine it will be out soon. Super cool to look at. The university will look completely different if it all happens

There really isn't much parking to take away. Most of it's already gone.

Maybe even further down- if the 81 bridge comes down.

Not sure. I know you're in AZ but there's a presentation in Baltimore tomorrow night! :)

I imagine it will be out soon. Super cool to look at. The university will look completely different if it all happens
Really love the mindset Syverud has

There really isn't much parking to take away. Most of it's already gone.
You should have heard the dean of architecture who spoke talk about his disdain for the parking garages that are available. The Sheraton is most likely gonna become a dorm

Really love the mindset Syverud has
Me too. You know that every school, maxwell, Newhouse, etc. at least in DC was using different logos and marketing for outreach? Kent came in, and within the first hour said, no mas, were orange. Change it to something uniform. Small move which means everything to the brand.

Guy gets it.

how exciting we'll have the only stadium in the country with virtually no parking so instead of catering to the fan base to make things easier, they'd rather continue to make it harder and harder for its' fans to attend. This is great news. Great business plan. :bang::bat:

how exciting we'll have the only stadium in the country with virtually no parking so instead of catering the fan base to make things easier, they'd rather continue to make it harder and harder for its' fans to attend. This is great news. Great business plan. :bang::bat:
Hey, they'll be windows to look out of though! ;)

jr4750 said:

Did they describe the full breakdown by phase? Should be 4-5 phases over that period. That first phase is about $500m with some, not all, state help.

The priority of the University is not the parking convenience of sports fans.
Nope in fact, they basically don't want cars anywhere near main campus. Waverly would turn into a pedestrian pathway, one of three main ones through campus.

Did they describe the full breakdown by phase? Should be 4-5 phases over that period. That first phase is about $500m with some, not all, state help.
Sort of. It's built as a framework so it offers the chance to evaluate and move as funding and need arises. The only things set in stone seemed to be the new Vet Center which has already sought out architects, and the dome. Pedestrian Blvds would be in phase one too. Expansion of bird library, Schein, etc, probably further down the line.

Nope in fact, they basically don't want cars anywhere near main campus. Waverly would turn into a pedestrian pathway, one of three main ones through campus.
:eek: I know I'm going to lose my season ticket partner over this. No way he will be able to walk to the Dome for games anymore

Wow, with all this in mind I hope they'll be no complaints re attendance. It's really hard to fathom.

So the south lots they're proposing is the plan and then shuttle virtually everybody over? :eek: While this may be great for the university in general, not so much for this program.

The priority of the University is not the parking convenience of sports fans.

So the state is going to invest all this money in an entertain facility that will be even more of a PITA for people outside of campus, the vast majority of attendees, to get to.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors