Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by CuseLegacy, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CuseLegacy

CuseLegacy Twitter Wizard Staff Member

KellySyracuse likes this.
  2. Sudano

Sudano Scout Team

Isn't there still the same finite number of openings at state schools no matter if they are paying something or going for 'free'? Yes the student composition and competition to get those spots will change but if they aren't increasing enrollment many kids will still have to find other educational opportunities.

3. Cheriehoop

Cheriehoop Moderator Staff Member

I would think SU would be in better shape than many private colleges, especially the smaller ones because of its' geographic diversity. According to this only 38% of undergrads are from NYS.

Syracuse University Diversity

4. shandeezy7

shandeezy7 All Conference

Yeah, that's why I mentioned SU but moreso focused on Le Moyne. Schools like Le Moyne, St. John Fisher, Canisius, St. Bonaventure, which all have 80% or more of their students coming from NYS, including a large chunk of those coming from households making less than $125,000/year, could potentially be hurt by this.

Cheriehoop likes this.
  5. tipphill

tipphill Starter

hopefully awaiting the gov's speech in syracuse. now that the backward 1960's thinking miner is a lame duck perhaps the city can make some strides, other than apartments. although i have a legit question re the renovation of buildings for apartments. are they for PURCHASE or just rentals.

jr4750 likes this.
  6. jr4750

jr4750 All American

Good question. Everything I have seen has been rentals. I believe that for the city to take the next step, homeownership needs to increase. People need to be financially invested.

tipphill likes this.
  7. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

You can buy apartments down town. My girlfriend and I looked into it when we bought our house. The problem was you have to pay a "homeowners" association and it's not worth the cost IMO.

General20 likes this.
  8. tipphill

tipphill Starter

exactly my thinking. then they are emotionally connected to civic pride and improvement

9. tipphill

tipphill Starter

the hoa's are a legitimate concern as they can be expensive as well the possibility,like taxes, out of your immediate control.

Cusefan0307 likes this.
  10. shandeezy7

What's the point of an HOA for an apartment building? Is it to cover general building maintenance?

11. CuseLegacy

CuseLegacy Twitter Wizard Staff Member

I have lived in an HOA neighborhood and the annual dues were used for insurance, maintenance and utilities of the common area property. Also a part of the dues would go into a reserve fund in case of any major repairs/renovations/expenditures.

General20 likes this.
  12. OttoMets

OttoMets Hall of Fame

For a coop or condo building, reserves for replacement of roof and HVAC are a pretty important expense covered by HOA fees. Ditto for on-site parking, if there is any.

General20 likes this.
  13. jr4750

jr4750 All American

Living in DC, HOA's are the norm. As CL and Otto mentioned above they are for the general welfare and reserves of the building, landscaping, upkeep, etc. My building also puts into reserves a % of funds yearly to offset any emergencies, and to plan for bigger projects.

NJCuse97, Orangepace and CuseLegacy like this.
  14. Cheriehoop

Cheriehoop Moderator Staff Member

Many have common areas like fitness rooms, small party rooms, elevators etc and then in additional some have the extra cost of security shared by all the people in the complex.

General20 likes this.
  15. texascpa

texascpa Hall of Fame

Is that not typical in Syracuse? Here in Texas, unless you live in the boonies, you're going to get stuck with it.

Orangepace likes this.
  16. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

Depends where you are, but not for my house in the city. These HOA dues doubled our mortgage. Might revisit it in the future, but I like where I am right now.

17. shandeezy7

I think there just aren't many apartments that are owned by the occupant. There are some, for sure, but most are rentals. I would never rent an apartment that had an added HOA fee.

18. Fly Rodder

Fly Rodder Starter

It sure would be nice to see some actual proposals for this.
    HOA fees usually replace some village/municipal taxes to pay for required services like paving, sidewalks, common areas, etc.

19. FrancoPizza

FrancoPizza Starter

State of the State address in Syracuse was held this morning. No mention of anything related to SU or the Dome renovation.

20. sutomcat

sutomcat 2016 Iggy Winner Staff Member

Lead story appears to be that NYS will chip in $35.8 million to make Hancock a state of the art airport.

[​IMG]

Cuomo: State will chip in $35.8 million to make Syracuse Airport a 'world class facility'

More...confirmed, nothing about support for a renovation of the Dome...

SAAB Jobs, Syracuse Aiport Renovations and Southern Tier Hemp Farms Highlight Cuomo's Speech

Fly Rodder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.