Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several within the U.S. that have been P3 projects in recent years. One of the major difficulties in the U.S. is the political climate. Just look at the Gordie Howe Bridge that is finally going to happen linking Detroit and Windsor. There is also an entrenched distrust by Americans that someone other than the government will be in control of their public goods ("I don't want no Spanish company owning our roads and paying European banks with our tolls. This is 'Murica").
Another difficulty is that sometimes public-usage projects don't generate revenue directly and/or they are not profitable by themselves for the amount of revenue they could generate. Even in the case above in the DC (OttoMETS comment) area, $409M is a public subsidy so the project can be profitable for the private partners. If they had to pay for all of it, it would not have made sense. It was 30% subsidized by the government to be profitable for a private company.

Last edited:
Chi Town ;)
892a02a8d5f9d707f8559fd715c60408.jpg
For the record after the first 13 floors those are all condo units that just happen to look like a parking garage. Those two buildings are such an eyesore especially when compare to all of the other architecture on the river down there.

For the record after the first 13 floors those are all condo units that just happen to look like a parking garage. Those two buildings are such an eyesore especially when compare to all of the other architecture on the river down there.
Agree. Out of place in a great part of town.

And SU South Campus to SU North Campus in gondolas too. Ive been pushing this Arial gondola transit idea with friends for years mostly from north campus to south campus. Short but effective distance to keep cost low. But if we could get downtown too, great. My thought for downtown was a dual corridor bus lane on the train track line. I'd drawn all this a while ago when it wasn't even fathomable take a look.

I think you could do a double stacked line down comstock from north campus/College place and then have it Y from Manley towards sky-top and the other towards drumlins (parking/Events/Grocery store) with stops on south campus. Down comstock it would be the same number of poles for double the service capacity saving money. This system could be in place as an all weather student transit system from south also eliminating/reducing the need for south campus bus service. I would recommend a detachable 3S system, which has two guide cables and a pull cable and slows down or could stop completely at stations. Capacity per dollar on 3S is much better since it is a very high speed and high capacity option and would be more able to handle events and the daily ebb and flow of student class schedule rush. 3S is also a much smoother ride which makes it much more ADA/older population friendly.

I would also advocate to make the current train track line a dual corridor (ie the whole length is like train tracks look at road crossings) so that it could be used for traffic-less event only or permanent bus service lane from RTC to Destiny to Tip Hill to Downtown to Oncenter parking to Campus to South Campus without losing train functionality for business. This corridor is part of the inland port proposal and serves the area of I-81 they are going to work on so that could help with funding here. Possible additional weekend/evening event parking as well as 481 on and off ramps at the quarry proposed to be the inland port depot could be an option as there would likely be an employee parking lot and direct connection to the train line.

PRT like WVU has on campus is an option along a dual train corridor also. I'd love this but it might be cost prohibitive depending on funding.

On game days add the current event bus system to this too, (with some traffic pattern updates) in total it solves the parking issue completely.

upload_2015-11-12_15-38-6.jpeg

Sheraton isn't going anywhere. There putting in millions for upgrades to there banquet/wedding reception areas and redoing pretty much that entrire floor.
I think SUBarney will tell you in Hotel Life...a serious upgrade like that is obsolete in about 7-8 years.

Because it will suck. Syracuse has proven over and over again that when it comes to things like this the logistics never work out. It sounds great in theory but as you noted how are you going to get 35-40K people over to the stadium? Are we going to have a fleet of buses that are used 30 times a year? Really hope the chancellor feels this out before going forward without taking everything into consideration.

They contract pretty much every Centro bus in the city on gameday, why would they need to own a fleet of buses? They could just run them more often and from more locations including from the suburbs.

cuseguy said:
They're still going to need parking for the law dorm. Can't see how they can eliminate all of the surface parking in that area.

Underground garage.

Underground garage.

Yeah, I finally looked this up - there are currently about 2,000 spaces, including 409 in the Irving Garage. SU's committed to maintain 2,000 spaces. Two new garages will have 1,100 of those.

I've heard this rumor a few times over the last couple of years from different people that claim to have inside sources - the ACC is making SU stop selling alcohol at some point in the near future. Heard yesterday that the Club 44 was being shut down and there would be no more beer sales. What is up, anyone here that has real connections heard this rumor too?

donniesyracuse said:
I would strongly advocate joining the AAC then. No beer means no season tickets for me.

I hope you're joking.

I've heard this rumor a few times over the last couple of years from different people that claim to have inside sources - the ACC is making SU stop selling alcohol at some point in the near future. Heard yesterday that the Club 44 was being shut down and there would be no more beer sales. What is up, anyone here that has real connections heard this rumor too?

I don't have any real connections, but I have heard this rumor multiple times going back to when SU joined the ACC.

I doubt it happens. Louisville (on campus) and Miami (off campus) sell alcohol at games. Pitt sells alcohol in the club and suite levels. And the ACC bylaws only prohibit alcohol sales at conference championship games.

If the university stops alcohol sales, I don't think it will be because the ACC mandates it.

donniesyracuse said:
joking about the AAC, not about the season tickets

You'd really give up season tix if they didn't sell beer? Strangest reason I've ever heard.

donniesyracuse said:
Definitely

My better sense thinks you're joking so I'll stick with that. :)

My better sense thinks you're joking so I'll stick with that. :)
I am not joking. Judge me if you want, but drinking is a valuable part of the game day experience for me. If I can't enjoy a few beers during the game, I will just watch or listen at home.

I don't like NCAA tournament games for the same reason and I don't go to restaurants that don't have liquor licenses.

UNC offers alcohol in their club section which is in one end zone.

UVa has booze in their suites.

With attendance going down in general I doubt that would stick.

I am not joking. Judge me if you want, but drinking is a valuable part of the game day experience for me. If I can't enjoy a few beers during the game, I will just watch or listen at home.

I don't like NCAA tournament games for the same reason and I don't go to restaurants that don't have liquor licenses.
Disagree. It's invaluable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors