Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is ironic, because a lot of people in the suburbs are encroaching on the farmers. (I'd like to see stronger right-to-farm restrictions and much better protection of agricultural zones, but that hoping for too much from the cynical and cash-hungry feudal town governments in Upstate.)
That's already part of NY's legal history, called "right to farm". The way it works is that local zoning laws can't unreasonably interfere with farming operations, and those moving near agricultural districts receive a disclosure that there are farming operations underway in the vicinity.

In 1970, there was a constitutional amendment to support agricultural operations, and we have an actual "right to farm" law, in Agricultural and Markets Law Section 308. Here's the law:
Legislative Information - LBDC:

Here's a description of NY's right to farm law:
http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/AP/agservices/new305/guidance.pdf

Similar efforts (right to farm) are underway in other States: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/u...right-to-farm-to-state-constitution.html?_r=0

Which is ironic, because a lot of people in the suburbs are encroaching on the farmers. (I'd like to see stronger right-to-farm restrictions and much better protection of agricultural zones, but that hoping for too much from the cynical and cash-hungry feudal town governments in Upstate.)
Re: encroaching on farmers--

Check out what has happened (see "Chinatown") and continues to happen in California. I don't know if there are any orange trees left in Orange County. As usual, California leads, and the nation follows.

And, due to the extended drought, the competition for water between the (sub)urbs and agriculture is only intensifying.

That's already part of NY's legal history, called "right to farm".

In 1970, there was a constitutional amendment to support agricultural operations, and we have an actual "right to farm" law, in Agricultural and Markets Law Section 308. Here's the law:

Similar efforts (right to farm) are underway in other States: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/u...right-to-farm-to-state-constitution.html?_r=0

Oh, I know - it's great policy. I think it could be stronger in practice. We've lost a ton of farmland in the since the legislation was enacted, and we're actually seeing upward pressure on values right now due to stronger environmental standards, new crops (hops, hemp). I think New York would be in a stronger place right now if we'd enacted urban growth boundary legislation alongside the right-to-farm law (essentially the anti-Houston).

That's already part of NY's legal history, called "right to farm". The way it works is that local zoning laws can't unreasonably interfere with farming operations, and those moving near agricultural districts receive a disclosure that there are farming operations underway in the vicinity.

Wow, as if on cue: Judge to Upstate NY farmer: Stop using stinky eggshells as fertilizer

I get zoning and if that is what the people choose, so be it. I like freedom more. As for feudalism, you might want to check on that.ost lords refused the right to build a defensive residence to their tenants. As for the king issue, stop paying your property taxes and see whether there really is a sovereign.

By the way, I agree, I wouldn't want a KFC next to me, or other commercial entity. That is my choice.

As to the University's choice to block others from having tall buildings, I get the motivation. I also think that NY should do pretty much whatever it takes (start with lowering all taxes) to jump start the economy. (Fracking in rural areas would help, too, but let's not get too political as I already recommended cutting taxes). If building a few tall building would help Syracuse, I would probably lean towards approving a few tall buildings. SU could have bought the land in the past to ensure they would have their view preserved, still can. (May require SU2NASA to get his capital hill friends to allocate some funds to the University, but he's a rocket scientist, he can figure out that part).

As I no longer live there, my opinion and $10 bucks might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

We're struggling enough getting Congress to fund the space program at 0.5% of the federal budget. Though, for some of the dumb ideas we're tasked with, I wouldn't mind finding a couple hundred million for dome upgrades.

We're struggling enough getting Congress to fund the space program at 0.5% of the federal budget. Though, for some of the dumb ideas we're tasked with, I wouldn't mind finding a couple hundred million for dome upgrades.
Hmm, maybe a telescope can be drawn into the roof plans??? The SpaceDome has a ring to it.

Should SU have the right to block a taller building down the hill from the University? Will it tower over what is already across the street, namely Crouse Irving, the VA, parking garages? (Serious questions as I have not been to Syracuse in several years so I have forgotten how a tallish building would look against the hill, that and I may have my bearings wrong to begin with)

SMH
If you don't like the sound of airplanes then don't move next to an airport.
If you don't like the smell of farms then don't move next to a farm.

What if an airport or pig farm wants to move next to me?

Do you smell bad? If no, they shouldn't have a problem.

Seriously, there are restrictions in many places to prevent farms from encroaching, just not in Houston, though you won't see farms in the city. Airports are heavily regulated and should be in many respects. If you want to avoid airports build up.

Seriously, there are restrictions in many places to prevent farms from encroaching, just not in Houston, though you won't see farms in the city. Airports are heavily regulated and should be in many respects. If you want to avoid airports build up.

What's funny is the number of people that think that zoning, or lack of, like Houston won't work, yet here it is...working.

Last edited:
Houston is a major cluster. Other than the gated communities the place looks like greek diner with a Chinese menu

Noise and stink can cross boundaries. If I buy land that is noise and stink-free, I should be able to keep it that way. I should not have to worry about people deciding they can make noise or add a pig farm next to me. Your premise is that I am in control of my property but you know, under your Houston rules, my property could be negatively affected by someone moving next to me with a pig farm.

that's one way to put it. another way is that you're struggling getting congress to fund the space program with $19,000,000,000.

that's one way to put it. another way is that you're struggling getting congress to fund the space program with $19,000,000,000.

The fact that we can fly the Space Station, build a new rocket, capsule, and systems to go to Mars, create a Commercial Crew program for two! companies, operate 30+ science missions including 2 rovers on Mars, a mission to Pluto, and a mission to Jupiter just to name a few, develop another dozen or so including a massive telescope multiple times larger than Hubble, invest in advanced technology development never before done, and on top of that have an aeronautics research program with 0.5% of the federal budget, and a fraction of the budget compared to Apollo in buying power, is amazing.

We are the single greatest return on investment in the government, arguably of any organization in the world. The benefits of the space program are all around you in your daily life.

Houston is a major cluster. Other than the gated communities the place looks like greek diner with a Chinese menu

The strip mall capital of the world. Hated living in Houston with the burning fire of a thousand suns (sorry Htown and HoustonCuse).

The fact that we can fly the Space Station, build a new rocket, capsule, and systems to go to Mars, create a Commercial Crew program for two! companies, operate 30+ science missions including 2 rovers on Mars, a mission to Pluto, and a mission to Jupiter just to name a few, develop another dozen or so including a massive telescope multiple times larger than Hubble, invest in advanced technology development never before done, and on top of that have an aeronautics research program with 0.5% of the federal budget, and a fraction of the budget compared to Apollo in buying power, is amazing.

We are the single greatest return on investment in the government, arguably of any organization in the world. The benefits of the space program are all around you in your daily life.
You forgot Tang.

Easy, you call the zoning enforcement officer ... since you probably live in a community (as most people do) that enacts zoning laws to ensure that contiguous land uses are compatible and property values and quality of life (not to mention the tax base) are protected.

(I know you know this ... just picking up on your cue).

Last edited:
You forgot Tang.

tumblr_nutpuvMjHB1sfnfmho1_400.gif

ok.

shh we know the truth you just go to Area 51 and pluck some new technology off the crashed ship when you need to make a splash.;)

Noise and stink can cross boundaries. If I buy land that is noise and stink-free, I should be able to keep it that way. I should not have to worry about people deciding they can make noise or add a pig farm next to me. Your premise is that I am in control of my property but you know, under your Houston rules, my property could be negatively affected by someone moving next to me with a pig farm.
Most states have laws against bringing a nuisance to another party. State laws trump local ordinances (or lack thereof), even in Houston, you would not be able to start a pig farm next to someone who had been enjoying their land without the smell. Having one or two pigs probably would not constitute a pig farm. Size of the property is also an issue that would be considered.

shh we know the truth you just go to Area 51 and pluck some new technology off the crashed ship when you need to make a splash.;)

Pssst...they moved the UFO to Hangar 13 at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. Of course, there is no Hangar 13 at Wright-Patterson but that's another conspiracy theory in and of itself.

(I was stationed at Wright-Patterson and this was the one story that everyone asked about, "Where's Hangar 13?")

Pssst...they moved the UFO to Hangar 13 at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. Of course, there is no Hangar 13 at Wright-Patterson but that's another conspiracy theory in and of itself.

(I was stationed at Wright-Patterson and this was the one story that everyone asked about, "Where's Hangar 13?")

I always enjoyed taking friends on tours of JSC and showing them the soundstage where we filmed the moon landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom