Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strip mall capital of the world. Hated living in Houston with the burning fire of a thousand suns (sorry Htown and HoustonCuse).
Unfortunately, this may be true.

As to the burning fire of a thousand suns, better that than the wagging tongues of a million liars (or 537 politicians, who may actually do more harm than a million liars). I still can't believe D.C. chose the latter...

I always enjoyed taking friends on tours of JSC and showing them the soundstage where we filmed the moon landing.

You aren't supposed to discuss that in public, but, yeah, it is cool!

As to the burning fire of a thousand suns, better that than the wagging tongues of a million liars (or 537 politicians, who may actually do more harm than a million liars). I still can't believe D.C. chose the latter...

Feel free to especially rip on Maryland. I enjoy being taxed into the stone age so they can piss away more money on creating departments to give away free trees.

Most states have laws against bringing a nuisance to another party. State laws trump local ordinances (or lack thereof), even in Houston, you would not be able to start a pig farm next to someone who had been enjoying their land without the smell. Having one or two pigs probably would not constitute a pig farm. Size of the property is also an issue that would be considered.
If you agree with those laws (and most of us do) then I guess you don't agree with the guy who wrote this,

"People have freedom to use their land as the see fit. Works. Prices are not as affected as one might think."

If you agree with those laws (and most of us do) then I guess you don't agree with the guy who wrote this,

"People have freedom to use their land as the see fit. Works. Prices are not as affected as one might think."

Your quote is a general comment which you are now applying to a very specific and pointed argument, you are asking about a specific exception which does not negate the general rule. In general, people in Houston are allowed to use their land as they see fit. If A wants to put a mobile home on his lot, B wants to put a 3,500 sq. ft. brick house on her lot, C wants to place a KFC on his lot and D wants to open a yoga studio(?) on her lot, each may do so. If there was sufficient acreage to plant crops, it could be done, spreading fertilizer may be a question to address under state law but organic farming without manure would not be regulated.

For the record, I like the liberty to do what you like with property but I do not live in Houston proper and do not enjoy that benefit.

Last edited:

537? Is that 100 senators + 435 reps. + Prez + VP? If so, you are short the 9 (8) justices, as the SC is totally politicized.

Your quote is a general comment which you are now applying to a very specific and pointed argument, you are asking about a specific exception which does not negate the general rule. In general, people in Houston are allowed to use their land as they see fit. If A wants to put a mobile home on his lot, B wants to put a 3,500 sq. ft. brick house on her lot, C wants to place a KFC on his lot and D wants to open a yoga studio(?) on her lot, each may do so. If there was sufficient acreage to plant crops, it could be done, spreading fertilizer may be a question to address under state law but organic farming without manure would not be regulated.

For the record, I like the liberty to do what you like with property but I do not live in Houston proper and do not enjoy that benefit.

I am sure you would love a large pig farm to move near you (allow your neighbor to have the liberty to do what he likes with HIS property).

HTown, I understand your ideals about "liberty". You can still find no-zoning areas in a few states, mostly in rural locations. But liberty to one person is a blight to another -- this is where zoning laws come in.

In most populated communities (suburbs and cities), zoning laws are not only accepted but necessary and desirable. It's not landowners who are "sovereigns" ... it's state and local governments. The concept of being "king" of your land is long gone, although restrictions vary by state and region. As you say, with lots of acreage, you can get away with things that you couldn't in denser areas b/c your actions on a big parcel don't have the same impact on your neighbor as they might in a city or suburb.

Zoning isn't just personal preference either (although aesthetics are a valid zoning principle). It's also about land values and tax base. You might not mind having a KFC put up next to your residence. But most people WOULD mind .. especially when they realize that KFC means 24 lights, fights, fumes and noise in the parking lot, trash and drunks pissing on their shrubs after a late-night "bucket", etc. This kind of incompatible use would have a detrimental affect on value ... a house with a KFC next to it is probably worth far less than one in a properly-zoned residential area. So liberty, like all legal principles, has its limits .. reached where it impinges on the rights of others.

I'd say the trend is toward MORE, not fewer, restrictions. Gated communities and HOA's are relatively new -- b/c people don't want their peace and quiet disturbed, or their home values diminished, by incompatible property uses. I think this was the point Xc84 was making.

Last edited:
I'd say the trend is toward MORE, not fewer, restrictions. Gated communities and HOA's are relatively new -- b/c people don't want their peace and quiet disturbed, or their home values diminished, by incompatible property uses. I think this was the point Xc84 was making.
Oh...I'd be willing to bet HTown would fight a KFC next door to his house if his neighbor decided to put one in.

I am sure you would love a large pig farm to move near you (allow your neighbor to have the liberty to do what he likes with HIS property).

I freely admit I don't want a pig farm next to me. Not sure why you would assume as much. If it is because I like liberty, you should also read my other posts, one of which clearly states that if people vote in the zoning laws, so be it. I prefer liberty, but I agree that I don't want an airport, pig farm or KFC next to me. Guess what, that means I am human, not all of my personal preference will make sense to everyone.

I could play your game of trying to paint someone into a corner by presenting the assumption that you want everything regulated and controlled by others because you prefer zoning (i.e. you can't leave your windows open for fresh air, grass must be between 2.5" and 3", only houses painted white allowed, vehicles must be within three model years, (it would most certainly suck if anyone were forced to be a Georgetown or Rutgers fan!) and on and on, but that would be useless and disingenuous. Neither of us is an extremist.

Anyway, the issue at hand is whether SU has a 17 story KFC or apartment building, which do you prefer? Seriously, I did ask about the general area where the proposed apartment building is going. Would it really affect the view of the Hill?

I freely admit I don't want a pig farm next to me. Not sure why you would assume as much. If it is because I like liberty, you should also read my other posts, one of which clearly states that if people vote in the zoning laws, so be it. I prefer liberty, but I agree that I don't want an airport, pig farm or KFC next to me. Guess what, that means I am human, not all of my personal preference will make sense to everyone.
There is a difference between "not wanting" it and fighting it. I really want to understand if you would attempt to fight e.g. a pig farm next to your house or you would not want it but relinquish a fight for the sake of your neighbor's "liberty". Do you not believe you have your own liberty not to have your property smell like a pig farm? We all like our liberty but it should not come at the expense of others.

There is a difference between "not wanting" it and fighting it. I really want to understand if you would attempt to fight e.g. a pig farm next to your house or you would not want it but relinquish a fight for the sake of your neighbor's "liberty". Do you not believe you have your own liberty not to have your property smell like a pig farm? We all like our liberty but it should not come at the expense of others.

When two parties have contrasting liberties, they work it out between themselves or in the courts. There simply are not enough facts in your hypothetical to respond as to what my action would be. As I said above, I do not live in Houston proper so I don't enjoy that benefit. I live in a neighboring city that has zoning restrictions.

Your last line is the double edged sword, it cuts both ways. Liberty is that way. We have freedom of speech but are not allowed to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater unless there actually is a fire; we cannot make threats of violence towards others; etc. I love baseball and have the right to play the game (no comment on whether I have the skill, just the right) but I am not allowed to throw the ball at just anyone. With liberty comes responsibility (cars, pools, sports, alcohol, etc.). On the flip side, zoning gives power to people not owning a parcel over the owner of said parcel.

HTown, I understand your ideals about "liberty". You can still find no-zoning areas in a few states, mostly in rural locations. But liberty to one person is a blight to another -- this is where zoning laws come in.

In most populated communities (suburbs and cities), zoning laws are not only accepted but necessary and desirable. It's not landowners who are "sovereigns" ... it's state and local governments. The concept of being "king" of your land is long gone, although restrictions vary by state and region. As you say, with lots of acreage, you can get away with things that you couldn't in denser areas b/c your actions on a big parcel don't have the same impact on your neighbor as they might in a city or suburb.

Zoning isn't just personal preference either (although aesthetics are a valid zoning principle). It's also about land values and tax base. You might not mind having a KFC put up next to your residence. But most people WOULD mind .. especially when they realize that KFC means 24 lights, fights, fumes and noise in the parking lot, trash and drunks pissing on their shrubs after a late-night "bucket", etc. This kind of incompatible use would have a detrimental affect on value ... a house with a KFC next to it is probably worth far less than one in a properly-zoned residential area. So liberty, like all legal principles, has its limits .. reached where it impinges on the rights of others.

I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I made a comment about not paying your taxes to determine who the sovereign over the land. I like that Houston has no zoning restrictions, so what? I live in a neighboring city with zoning restrictions, so what?

I understand why zoning exists. I commented that if that is what people want, so be it. I simply admire the people of Houston for exercising what they want. Houstonians love the right to do what they want with their land. They win the debate when zoning has been attempted. Self government in action, the people are exercising their rights. I have no issue with that. You like zoning and live where it is in effect. Self government in action, the people are exercising their rights. I have no issue with that.

Oh...I'd be willing to bet HTown would fight a KFC next door to his house if his neighbor decided to put one in.
I very well might, or at least let them buy me out for a profit. I also like the liberty of profit and the liberty of being able to move if I so choose.

Last edited:
H-town - I have no idea how you can support how Houston manages its zoning. The city itself is over developed, concrete everywhere and lacking enough green space, and do I even need to mention the billboards. I am all about freedom but sometimes it's good to bring order to chaos. I choose to live in one of the well zoned suburbs and it's like a little haven after driving between here and downtown.

It's all about balance. The northeast tends to have too much zoning and restrictions Houston is too far the other way. My 2 cents FWIW.

Agenda for the Meeting of the Page 3 of 3 City of Syracuse Planning Commission July 11, 2016
V. New Business
1) Z-2794 Project Plan Review Renovate and Expand Archbold Gymnasium 100 University Place (aka 150 Sims Drive) Syracuse University (owner/applicant) Planned Institutional District

Looks like some things are moving along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom