Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agenda for the Meeting of the Page 3 of 3 City of Syracuse Planning Commission July 11, 2016
V. New Business
1) Z-2794 Project Plan Review Renovate and Expand Archbold Gymnasium 100 University Place (aka 150 Sims Drive) Syracuse University (owner/applicant) Planned Institutional District

Looks like some things are moving along.
What does this have to do with pig farms?

Agenda for the Meeting of the Page 3 of 3 City of Syracuse Planning Commission July 11, 2016
V. New Business
1) Z-2794 Project Plan Review Renovate and Expand Archbold Gymnasium 100 University Place (aka 150 Sims Drive) Syracuse University (owner/applicant) Planned Institutional District

Looks like some things are moving along.

So no connection to the Carrier Dome has been proposed at all.

Is this the long term plan? Has the idea to attach Archbold to the Dome has been abandoned?

I love the renderings and the new cladding.
Love the plan for fixing Building A, the original building.

The new exteriors for Building B and C? Not so much. They don't go with Building A at all. The only thing I can think is that they are being designed to go with another building nearby. That also houses athletic facilities...

The new exteriors for Building B and C? Not so much. They don't go with Building A at all. The only thing I can think is that they are being designed to go with another building nearby. That also houses athletic facilities...
Because A is an historical site they can't blend the buildings to look the same. To me the new cladding will look much better than that institutional red brick look.

Because A is an historical site they can't blend the buildings to look the same. To me the new cladding will look much better than that institutional red brick look.
Agreed. The red brick look screams to me 'SUNY Cortland'. It just doesn't belong on the SU campus.

While we are at it, let's fix that problem with HBC and Hinds Hall too. Barf.

So no connection to the Carrier Dome has been proposed at all.

Is this the long term plan? Has the idea to attach Archbold to the Dome has been abandoned?

That's my guess (that the idea has been abandoned), but that's mostly a guess. I think the alley may be used for football games as a sort of restricted outdoor concourse.

Agreed. The red brick look screams to me 'SUNY Cortland'. It just doesn't belong on the SU campus.

SU had a plan at one time to add a story to HBC and reclad the whole thing. Not sure what became of that. I don't love that mid-century look (though I do like HBC and miss the Blinker, but I digress), however...

I love the renderings and the new cladding.

I like the detail of the renderings, but I believe that this metal cladding trend is going to be our generation's version of the '50s' red brick/plain fenestration and the '60s' brutalist concrete. It's a change from the brick and a good contrast with the original Archbold, but I don't think it'll wear well and it's likely to look weirdly dated in a couple decades.

Glad they're giving some attention to the old building, where the cinder block repairs in the attic have always stood out in a bad way. I'm hoping the restoration of the pediment is a little more detailed than what's depicted in the renderings. Cool that they're keeping the crew facility in place, a little surprising that they're building new pools at such expense in this location (guess we're not going to field a swim team for the foreseeable future), and not at all surprising that SU's building a giant rock-climbing wall in a prominent spot in the gym. Apparently high school kids want to see this kind of thing on college tours.

And this answers everyone's old question about why SU breached its contract with the developer of the gym at the University Avenue Garage two years ago. This should be a fairly nice facility.

SU had a plan at one time to add a story to HBC and reclad the whole thing. Not sure what became of that. I don't love that mid-century look (though I do like HBC and miss the Blinker, but I digress), however...

I like the detail of the renderings, but I believe that this metal cladding trend is going to be our generation's version of the '50s' red brick/plain fenestration and the '60s' brutalist concrete. It's a change from the brick and a good contrast with the original Archbold, but I don't think it'll wear well and it's likely to look weirdly dated in a couple decades.

Glad they're giving some attention to the old building, where the cinder block repairs in the attic have always stood out in a bad way. I'm hoping the restoration of the pediment is a little more detailed than what's depicted in the renderings. Cool that they're keeping the crew facility in place, a little surprising that they're building new pools at such expense in this location (guess we're not going to field a swim team for the foreseeable future), and not at all surprising that SU's building a giant rock-climbing wall in a prominent spot in the gym. Apparently high school kids want to see this kind of thing on college tours.

And this answers everyone's old question about why SU breached its contract with the developer of the gym at the University Avenue Garage two years ago. This should be a fairly nice facility.

I take it as a step up from the red brick. Plus I think it will blend in with the Dome a lot more than it does now. Hopefully with the granite and cast stone on the first floor and all those windows on the upper level the panels won't look like the IPF.

That's my guess (that the idea has been abandoned), but that's mostly a guess. I think the alley may be used for football games as a sort of restricted outdoor concourse.
So much for expanding the concourses, then. Boo.
Boo.gif

I suppose they could always connect to the Dome in a later phase but that wouldn't be cost-efficient.

So much for expanding the concourses, then. Boo.
Boo.gif

I suppose they could always connect to the Dome in a later phase but that wouldn't be cost-efficient.

They're definitely expanding the concourses.

They're definitely expanding the concourses.
Over-the-top gifs aside, I think the legit concern is whether they are scaling back the plan for the glass curtain wall that would wrap around the facility. Every recent rendering showed that glass extending into archbold if I'm not mistaken.

Are we looking at 2017 when we see some actual movement on the Dome reno?

Over-the-top gifs aside, I think the legit concern is whether they are scaling back the plan for the glass curtain wall that would wrap around the facility. Every recent rendering showed that glass extending into archbold if I'm not mistaken.

Are we looking at 2017 when we see some actual movement on the Dome reno?

Probably next spring, but they could be delayed a year.

These buildings are actually know as a part of the "Bronx Brutalist" period on the campus. That term is actually used to describe the mistake they are.

These buildings are actually know as a part of the "Bronx Brutalist" period on the campus. That term is actually used to describe the mistake they are.
For sure. Some of the buildings (including the dorms) look like military revetments ... great for anti-aircraft positions but not so nice for campus.

I take it as a step up from the red brick. Plus I think it will blend in with the Dome a lot more than it does now. Hopefully with the granite and cast stone on the first floor and all those windows on the upper level the panels won't look like the IPF.
The IPF panels were "cheap" and I would not be sure they would be needed to do as much at this new facility (somewhat structural as well as being the entire insulation system, along with speed and ease of assembly). As to the windows, I would not be surprised if they are Kalwall (the "window" material at IPF).
2030.jpg

It is less expensive, good thermally, and a bit more durable and doesn't need as much cleaning). They already have the product all over Flannagan and current Archbold. as well as the IPF. Metal panel is here to stay. It is plain and simple easier, cheaper, and sometimes better performing as it is factory fabricated rather than field fabricated. Look at the new building at Cornell by Richard Meier. Renown architect, his alma mater, similar climate, and its a science building.

Cornell-Weill-Hall-Richard-Meier-1-537x357.jpg

P4.West_Aerial-1024x682.jpg

7576024332_940a74aae3_z.jpg

For the record, the IPF was envisioned a little differently right to the end with more "windows" and a grove of trees that had Plaza 44 at the entrance to the grove, encircled by berms and seating (to the left of the image) and the signage was a bit larger.
Rendering 2a.jpg
Rendering 3a.jpg

Attachments

• Rendering 2a.jpg
    Rendering 2a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 37
The IPF panels were "cheap" and I would not be sure they would be needed to do as much at this new facility (somewhat structural as well as being the entire insulation system, along with speed and ease of assembly). As to the windows, I would not be surprised if they are Kalwall (the "window" material at IPF).
2030.jpg

It is less expensive, good thermally, and a bit more durable and doesn't need as much cleaning). They already have the product all over Flannagan and current Archbold. as well as the IPF. Metal panel is here to stay. It is plain and simple easier, cheaper, and sometimes better performing as it is factory fabricated rather than field fabricated. Look at the new building at Cornell by Richard Meier. Renown architect, his alma mater, similar climate, and its a science building.

Cornell-Weill-Hall-Richard-Meier-1-537x357.jpg

P4.West_Aerial-1024x682.jpg

7576024332_940a74aae3_z.jpg

For the record, the IPF was envisioned a little differently right to the end with more "windows" and a grove of trees that had Plaza 44 at the entrance to the grove, encircled by berms and seating (to the left of the image) and the signage was a bit larger.
View attachment 69401 View attachment 69402

To each their own, I suppose, but that new building at Cornell is horrific in my opinion. Just the epitome of blah. Looks like something out of minority report or something my two year old niece could throw together with mega blocks. I guarantee the metal paneling look will be a stain on architectural history when we look back in 25-30 years.

Wow, did he just confirm that Archbold will be connected to the dome? From the 1:48 mark, and, I quote, 'the fact that we're going to connect this and build the Arch'... :)
Yes, I heard that too. Pretty cool. I also think it is significant that he was a student when the dome was being built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom