Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me rephrase - active negotiations going on now. Bidding would infer a public process. This is all behind the scenes but I know of one firm offer by a highly respected company of $1.5 million per year for 10 years ($15 m total).

Wegmans_logo_light_black.png

Sounds like we feel we have enough legal standing (and maybe Carrier does too) to get out of our current contract when the dome is renovated.

Sure. But SU is going to have to buy their way out of the deal.

Carrier has the cards. And to them what they get is "found money". Not doubt will be an interesting footnote on their Annual Report for you, Texascpa.

Sure. But SU is going to have to buy their way out of the deal.

Carrier has the cards. And to them what they get is "found money". Not doubt will be an interesting footnote on their Annual Report for you, Texascpa.

Sounds like a deal was reached...have some faith in our legal eagle Chancellor! In Sevyrud we trust!

It may be that Carrier may have a right to match any offer and maintain the rights, while pricing the naming rights at a FMV level (which could include an agreed discount). Way too many options to speculate.

I don't know if they are still in or not...or even want to be further associated. Not sure if there is any love loss on either side. All of the original deal makers are gone (obviously).

We shall see.
Wegmans would be the best in my book. With their expansion down the east coast including Carolina now, it would be smart to have their name attached to all those acc games.

Wouldn't this serve to emphasize that Wegmans is a New York born and based company as opposed to being a local outfit? There is such a thing as patronizing the local companies instead of that carpetbagging Yankee store.

Wouldn't this serve to emphasize that Wegmans is a New York born and based company as opposed to being a local outfit? There is such a thing as patronizing the local companies instead of that carpetbagging Yankee store.
Wegmans is expanding to NC. You think they will not be successful there because they are a no-good carpet-bagging Yankee store?

Wegmans is expanding to NC. You think they will not be successful there because they are a no-good carpet-bagging Yankee store?

Are they advertising the fact that they are a New York company?

Because there's no mention of that here in Maryland and Virginia.

Putting your thumb in the eye of the customer --- by making a big deal of these NY roots --- isn't exactly a winning strategy.

Putting your thumb in the eye of the customer --- by making a big deal of these NY roots --- isn't exactly a winning strategy.
No need to advertise the fact that they are a New York company. M&T Stadium is in Baltimore, MD. Do you think people stay away from M&T in MD because they are a carpet-bagging NY bank?

After watching 3 hours of Bogangles and Food Lion commercials in a game between a Syracuse team and a Boston team anything done with Wegmans will be a massive upgrade.

It may be that Carrier may have a right to match any offer and maintain the rights, while pricing the naming rights at a FMV level (which could include an agreed discount). Way too many options to speculate.

You actually think it might be that whatever contract existed giving of this gift by Carrier in 1980 had clauses in it outlooking SU buying the name back and pricing that at FMV?

My guess is that there was no contract. But there may have been some letters exchanged with the one from Carrier describing how the money was to be spent and what they felt the Universities responsibilities were.

No need to advertise the fact that they are a New York company. M&T Stadium is in Baltimore, MD. Do you think people stay away from M&T in MD because they are a carpet-bagging NY bank?

But that's not close to being a parallel situation. If anything it makes the opposite point (That M&T is local because of their name on the Stadium).

What is being suggested is not that Wegmans have their name on an area they want to associated with. (Like M&T is doing in Balmer). But rather some of our Marketing experts think Wegmans ought to do the reverse.

After watching 3 hours of Bogangles and Food Lion commercials in a game between a Syracuse team and a Boston team anything done with Wegmans will be a massive upgrade.

To me Food Lion is closely linked with with the ACC. And Wegman's might want to also advertise on ACC games.

But linking the Wegman's name to a stadium in New York doesn't do that effectively.

To me Food Lion is closely linked with with the ACC. And Wegman's might want to also advertise on ACC games.

But linking the Wegman's name to a stadium in New York doesn't do that effectively.

Let's get one thing straight - Food Lion sucks. It's the worst craphole of a supermarket I've been to since I lived in Sty Town as a kid and had Gristides.

Linking a high end well priced family friendly establishment to us in ACC land (I was at a Wegmans on Saturday and it was packed with happy shoppers 7 hours away from the Dome) is a good thing for us and them for a whole host of obvious reasons.

Let's get one thing straight - Food Lion sucks. It's the worst craphole of a supermarket I've been to since I lived in Sty Town as a kid and had Gristides.

Linking a high end well priced family friendly establishment to us in ACC land (I was at a Wegmans on Saturday and it was packed with happy shoppers 7 hours away from the Dome) is a good thing for us and them for a whole host of obvious reasons.

Oh, I agree.

And Food Lion is the worst. And Wegman's is much better. (I am generally oblivious about such things and even I know that.)

What we are discussing here is the Wegman's Advertising and promotion budget and how money might be best spent. You can buy a whole lot of newspaper advertising for $1.5M per year.

And on the Marketing strategy side, how does Wegman's want to position itself? Your description of Wegman's is an almost pitch-perfect positioning statement (high-end, competitively-priced, family-friendly).

What does spending $1.5M a year on the name of a stadium in CNY do to promote that positioning statement?

I don't think it's impossible. But the reason for doing it doesn't seem that obvious to me. I never thought Carrier would be a player. Its and industrial marketer not a consumer one.

I don't care if wegmans boasts being a ny company. But they are still a local ny company with a presence in Syracuse.

The trouble is a lot of "local" companies don't have the capital for a move like this...

The shirt world dome?
Yancy's Fancy Dome?
Byrne Dairy Dome?
The Lost Horizon Dome?
All are prob to small to afford a bid that would win.

Oh, I agree.

And Food Lion is the worst. And Wegman's is much better. (I am generally oblivious about such things and even I know that.)

What we are discussing here is the Wegman's Advertising and promotion budget and how money might be best spent. You can buy a whole lot of newspaper advertising for $1.5M per year.

And on the Marketing strategy side, how does Wegman's want to position itself? Your description of Wegman's is an almost pitch-perfect positioning statement (high-end, competitively-priced, family-friendly).

What does spending $1.5M a year on the name of a stadium in CNY do to promote that positioning statement?

I don't think it's impossible. But the reason for doing it doesn't seem that obvious to me. I never thought Carrier would be a player. Its and industrial marketer not a consumer one.

Considering the Dome will be a featured player in nationally televised hoop games against Duke, UNC, UVa, UL, NSCU, etc and moving into the mid-Atlantic -Southeast then it makes sense. Heck Jay Bilas will be a de facto pitchman, and it doesn't get better than Jay. It's not like the Dome will be renamed after Topps or Charneys.

Newspapers are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors