Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

Hami #1, J-Tucks #2, Alvarado #10, Nwora #33. What you guys think JB and Cal were discussing around the 25 sec mark?

Neither of them know what they are talking about because they both said "I don't know".

Maybe it was "Do you think Rick knew what McGee was doing for the recruits?"

Neither of them know what they are talking about because they both said "I don't know".

Maybe it was "Do you think Rick knew what McGee was doing for the recruits?"

Ha. All these fake convo's are great. I'm sure it was very innocuous, like someone asked if they knew where the bathroom was.

Diallo in the Courier Journal:
“Kentucky’s pitch was just the NBA thing,” Diallo said. “Duke’s pitch was if you come to Duke, you’re going to be set for life. It’s more than just basketball. (John Calipari’s) pitch was he gets guys ready for the next level. Look at the numbers: it shows. It’s the best place for you if you want to make it to the NBA.
“Both pitches are appealing. It’s just a hard decision. I’ve got a lot of schools recruiting me, a bunch of schools capable of taking me to the NBA.”

CoachCal.com
I refuse to go in a home and paint a picture saying things like, “If you come with us you’ll be taken care of for the rest of your life by the program and by our alums” even though you may only be in school for a year or two. How preposterous does that sound? What if I say that same thing and the young man decides to transfer for one reason or another? Does that still hold true that we’re going to take care of them the rest of their lives? Our approach is to give them the fishing rod and the lures to help them catch fish, not to just give you the fish.

calipari-three-goggles1.jpg

Last edited:
“Kentucky’s pitch was just the NBA thing,” Diallo said. “Duke’s pitch was if you come to Duke, you’re going to be set for life. It’s more than just basketball. (John Calipari’s) pitch was he gets guys ready for the next level. Look at the numbers: it shows. It’s the best place for you if you want to make it to the NBA.
“Both pitches are appealing. It’s just a hard decision. I’ve got a lot of schools recruiting me, a bunch of schools capable of taking me to the NBA.”

CoachCal.com
I refuse to go in a home and paint a picture saying things like, “If you come with us you’ll be taken care of for the rest of your life by the program and by our alums” even though you may only be in school for a year or two. How preposterous does that sound? What if I say that same thing and the young man decides to transfer for one reason or another? Does that still hold true that we’re going to take care of them the rest of their lives? Our approach is to give them the fishing rod and the lures to help them catch fish, not to just give you the fish.
That's slick Willy for ya.

That's slick Willy for ya.
Its not like Jimmy can't say the same thing. SU alums have done well in the real world and the "connection game" is big with Orange graduates.and our representation in the NBA isn't paltry.At this time Jimmy's recruiting is screwing the pooch. He is super close to having all the pieces for a NC run.We know Malachi is coming back so he needs one more decent guard and a big man for depth at the 5.So many prospects "love the Orange and still they remain uncommitted.

CoachCal.com

Cal knows that it is a battle he can't win, so he diffuses the significance.

Its not like Jimmy can't say the same thing. SU alums have done well in the real world and the "connection game" is big with Orange graduates.and our representation in the NBA isn't paltry.At this time Jimmy's recruiting is screwing the pooch. He is super close to having all the pieces for a NC run.We know Malachi is coming back so he needs one more decent guard and a big man for depth at the 5.So many prospects "love the Orange and still they remain uncommitted.
How exactly do we know that Mali is coming back? That would be news to Mali who knows no such thing.

CoachCal.com

We're still a consideration for him, aren't we?

:eat popcorn:

How exactly do we know that Mali is coming back? That would be news to Mali who knows no such thing.
There is only one fact here. He ain't coming back!

You wrote in your last post that he was coming back. Well, one thing is for certain. You are right on one of those posts.

That's a "fact."

SUFaninNJ said:
We're still a consideration for him, aren't we?
this didn't sound promising at all

this didn't sound promising at all

As Francis03 woukd tell you, we are very much in the mix. We were on him early, he's visited SU 3 times and has had great visits. He also knows he's a future pro no matter what his college landing spot is. We have a great shot, despite the Johnny-come-lately heavy competition.

He'd probably be replacing Battle in that combo role, so if Battle is one and done as expected...he'd have a perfect landing spot here.

Feeling stoked about next year. Things definitely looking up for SU Basketball program and that's saying a lot after coming off a final 4 season. Good times!

Feeling stoked about next year. Things definitely looking up for SU Basketball program and that's saying a lot after coming off a final 4 season. Good times!

We are looking good but not having MR really stings and it's looking like he's leaning out the door.

We are looking good but not having MR really stings and it's looking like he's leaning out the door.
My guess is that Battle will be just as good a slasher and possibly a better defender. What's missing is the perimeter shot. We have Lydon and Gillon ... but sure would be nice to have a third shooter out there. Obviously, I'm being conservative about Battle's range. He's a great kid and fierce competitor ... and he says he's working on his shot. So maybe he'll light it up. But having MR out there with him ... wow. Thunder and lightening.

Last edited:
My guess is that Battle will be just as good a slasher and possibly a better defender. What's missing is the perimeter shot. We have Lydon and Gillon ... but sure would be nice to have a third shooter out there. Obviously, I'm being conservative about Battle's range. He's obviously a great kid and fierce competitor ... and he says he's working on his shot. So maybe he'll light it up. But having MR out there with him ... wow. Thunder and lightening.

I didn't list it in my article because I didn't want to make the piece too much of a puff piece but Battle shot over 40% from 3 this past year. It's still regarded as a work-in-progress.

Mal wasn't sensational all season long is something which should be kept in mind. I'd be the first to admit that his absence is a huge loss but we have much to be excited about next season even without his services.

I think some people here greatly underestimate how good Battle is going to be. We're talking about a kid who's name has been mentioned along with Kobe's. The absence of Mal will provide him with the opportunity to possibly emerge as one of the better players in the country by seasons end. The kid is the real deal for sure.

Lydon with one year under his belt is going to be a match up nightmare for teams and he likely has a monster season for us. I'm sure he is working hard on building up his strength and he will be a bigger better and more consistent version of the great player we saw last season.

Tyler Roberson may very well follow in the footsteps with a great senior season along the lines of Rak, Rick Jackson, and CJ Fair. I look for him to be a more focused and experienced senior leader who will reach the potential we've all seen only fleetingly in past seasons.

JB's uber zone always seems to be very good defensively when we have a 7 footer anchoring the zone. JB gets to try 7'2" on for size and Chukwu is not a freshman big coming in he has been Division 1 tested for one year and also has one year practicing with the team and learning the nuances of the 2-3 zone.

And I think it's safe to expect a nice year from DC2. He may never have the vertical component to his game that he may once have been capable of but by most measures I think he exceeded everyone's expectations last year. I fondly remember how he came out in the early 2nd half of the Florida State game and was largely responsible for spurring the team on to that win. He is highly motivated to do well as evidenced by his decision to return as a 5th year Sr. And nobody has as much team spirit as DC2.

Gillon will also contribute as a battle tested 5th year Senior who will contribute in several areas. As much as I loved Trevor Cooney... can Gillon's 3 point shooting be any worse than we saw from Trevor for most of the season? I think not.

Add to that mix Moyer who is going to be a very nice player for us and I think we are poised to have a very nice season and one in which we have the potential to compete at the top of the ACC as well as Nationally toward the end of the year.

And... there is more help on the way. We will know all about it within the next week or so. So... it's looking up Cuse fans. I can just feel it. Otto is going to be a happy camper next season and the Dome is gonna rock!

LGO !!!

Last edited:
Mal wasn't sensational all season long is something which should be kept in mind. I'd be the first to admit that his absence is a huge loss but we have much to be excited about next season even without his services.

I think some people here greatly underestimate how good Battle is going to be. We're talking about a kid who's name has been mentioned along with Kobe's. The absence of Mal will provide him with the opportunity to possibly emerge as one of the better players in the country by seasons end. The kid is the real deal for sure.

Lydon with one year under his belt is going to be a match up nightmare for teams and he likely has a monster season for us. I'm sure his is working hard on building up his strength and he will be a bigger better and more consistent version of the great player we saw last season.

Tyler Roberson may very well follow in the footsteps with a great senior season along the lines of Rak, Rick Jackson, and CJ Fair. I look for him to be a more focused and experienced senior leader who will reach the potential we've all seen only fleetingly in past seasons.

JB's uber zone always seems to be very good defensively when we have a 7 footer anchoring the zone. JB gets to try 7'2" on for size and Chuckwu is not a freshman big coming in he has been Division 1 tested for one year and also has one year practicing with the team and learning the nuances of the 2-3 zone.

And I think it's safe to expect a nice year from DC2. He may never have the vertical component to his game that he may once have been capable of but by most measures I think he exceeded everyone's expectations last year. I fondly remember how he came out in the early 2nd half of the Florida State game and was largely responsible for spurring the team on to that win. He is highly motivated to do well as evidenced by his decision to return as a 5th year Sr. And nobody has as much team spirit as DC2.

Gillon will also contribute as a battle tested 5th year Senior who will contribute in several areas. As much as I loved Trevor Cooney... can Gillion's 3 point shooting be any worse than we saw from Trevor for most of the season? I think not.

Add to that mix Moyer who is going to be a very nice player for us and I think we are poised to have a very nice season and one in which we have the potential to compete at the top of the ACC as well as Nationally toward the end of the year.

And... there is more help on the way. We will know all about it within the next week or so. So... it's looking up Cuse fans. I can just feel it. Otto is going to be a happy camper next season and the Dome is gonna rock!

LGO !!!

Cooney shot better than Mal and Gillon from three this year. Really wish we had more shooting. It's definately going to be a weakness outside of Lydon IMO.

Maybe the combine might humble him a little, and make him realize he isn't ready.

upload_2016-5-10_22-50-15.jpeg