Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

What "zigs and zags?"

One post you said we know Mali will be back. Next post you say its a fact he won't be back.

Mal wasn't sensational all season long is something which should be kept in mind. I'd be the first to admit that his absence is a huge loss but we have much to be excited about next season even without his services.

I think some people here greatly underestimate how good Battle is going to be. We're talking about a kid who's name has been mentioned along with Kobe's. The absence of Mal will provide him with the opportunity to possibly emerge as one of the better players in the country by seasons end. The kid is the real deal for sure.

Lydon with one year under his belt is going to be a match up nightmare for teams and he likely has a monster season for us. I'm sure he is working hard on building up his strength and he will be a bigger better and more consistent version of the great player we saw last season.

Tyler Roberson may very well follow in the footsteps with a great senior season along the lines of Rak, Rick Jackson, and CJ Fair. I look for him to be a more focused and experienced senior leader who will reach the potential we've all seen only fleetingly in past seasons.

JB's uber zone always seems to be very good defensively when we have a 7 footer anchoring the zone. JB gets to try 7'2" on for size and Chukwu is not a freshman big coming in he has been Division 1 tested for one year and also has one year practicing with the team and learning the nuances of the 2-3 zone.

And I think it's safe to expect a nice year from DC2. He may never have the vertical component to his game that he may once have been capable of but by most measures I think he exceeded everyone's expectations last year. I fondly remember how he came out in the early 2nd half of the Florida State game and was largely responsible for spurring the team on to that win. He is highly motivated to do well as evidenced by his decision to return as a 5th year Sr. And nobody has as much team spirit as DC2.

Gillon will also contribute as a battle tested 5th year Senior who will contribute in several areas. As much as I loved Trevor Cooney... can Gillon's 3 point shooting be any worse than we saw from Trevor for most of the season? I think not.

Add to that mix Moyer who is going to be a very nice player for us and I think we are poised to have a very nice season and one in which we have the potential to compete at the top of the ACC as well as Nationally toward the end of the year.

And... there is more help on the way. We will know all about it within the next week or so. So... it's looking up Cuse fans. I can just feel it. Otto is going to be a happy camper next season and the Dome is gonna rock!

LGO !!!

Not to mention Howard should take a step up as well.

I actually think he left out a word the first post.

Yeah, that was my assumption too when I read it--it makes more sense when you assume that he thinks Mali is NOT coming back and thus we need to pick up another guard.

Love Diallo but he's not gonna help us next season.
And according to Jake, there's a 70% chance he won't help us beyond that. Boo.

Saw some EYBL action over the past few days. Hami is a highlight film always waiting to happen whenever he has the rock. With that said, he really needs to work on that jumper. It can be Ron "Brickhouse" Patterson like from distance at times. His shot doesn't seem to be broken, so I'm hopeful that he can continue working on that aspect of his game. Another part of his game that I like is that he isn't afraid to get amongst the trees inside and fight for rebounds. I love guards that go up after it instead of standing around and watching somebody else do the dirty work.

Diallo officially graduated high school. Any chatter about him reclassifying? Not sure why he wouldn't at this point. He'd be one year closer to the NBA and $$. Why would a kid like him do a post-grad year? It's not like he's a fringe top 200 player trying to get a major offer - this kid can play anywhere he wants to next season.

Diallo officially graduated high school. Any chatter about him reclassifying? Not sure why he wouldn't at this point. He'd be one year closer to the NBA and $$. Why would a kid like him do a post-grad year? It's not like he's a fringe top 200 player trying to get a major offer - this kid can play anywhere he wants to next season.
It makes sense, but I wonder if his camp are trying to take advantage of the rule where he can be NBA Draft eligible if he's one year removed from his graduating class?

It makes sense, but I wonder if his camp are trying to take advantage of the rule where he can be NBA Draft eligible if he's one year removed from his graduating class?
That's what I'm thinking, but why play another year of HS instead of on a top 5 team? Never got these post-graduate years. What's he going to study at prep school next year if his HS requirements are complete? Do you take college intro courses?

That's what I'm thinking, but why play another year of HS instead of on a top 5 team? Never got these post-graduate years. What's he going to study at prep school next year if his HS requirements are complete? Do you take college intro courses?
Would imagine they're thinking it's easier to fool pro scouts beating up on prep comp than the fear of getting exposed on the college level.

Would imagine they're thinking it's easier to fool pro scouts beating up on prep comp than the fear of getting exposed on the college level.
Yep, less likely to get exposed. Also, probably less travel, and easier studies, so that he could spend more time preparing for the draft. Especially that jump shot.

Yep, less likely to get exposed. Also, probably less travel, and easier studies, so that he could spend more time preparing for the draft. Especially that jump shot.
He should look at some of the recent first rounders out of Syracuse - he's higher ranked than almost all of our recruits the past 10 years. Malachi was #23 in his class and is getting 1st round buzz.

Play at Syracuse, your draft stock increases by 20 spots.

I have a feeling that Thon Maker is going to be a complete bust in the NBA. He's going to get drafted by someone on potential and then realize that he's 4 years away from contributing. He gets pushed around by mediocre high schoolers, how is going to handle the NBA??

I have a feeling that Thon Maker is going to be a complete bust in the NBA. He's going to get drafted by someone on potential and then realize that he's 4 years away from contributing. He gets pushed around by mediocre high schoolers, how is going to handle the NBA??
Not a big Maker fan myself. Needs a lot of refinement before being an NBA contributor imho. Could possible carve out a role as a high energy big with some pick n pop game.

Not a big Maker fan myself. Needs a lot of refinement before being an NBA contributor imho. Could possible carve out a role as a high energy big with some pick n pop game.
The kid looks amazing on a highlight tape, but lacks refinement and needs to learn how to play basketball. Is that accurate? I would love a kid like this kid have some humility and end up with the Spurs and let Pop and Company teach him how to play. Most kids like him don't have the humility though.

The kid looks amazing on a highlight tape, but lacks refinement and needs to learn how to play basketball. Is that accurate? I would love a kid like this kid have some humility and end up with the Spurs and let Pop and Company teach him how to play. Most kids like him don't have the humility though.

Frankly, even his highlights don't impress me. He doesn't seem that explosive athletically at all--he's got an extraordinarily flashy handle for someone his height, and seems to have good agility too, but he's so, so weak. I don't think I've ever seen a clip of him finishing through real contact or bullying someone with his height. And even a flashy handle doesn't mean you actually have a good one. Does Kaleb Joseph have a good handle? I'm not sure, but he sure has a flashy one. And his shot looks ok, but nothing amazing (and it's hard to tell from a highlight clip). I don't remember him having a great game vs top notch comp. And I don't see his frame and think NBA athlete--his shoulders are unnaturally thin.