Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

What happens if Diallo decides to put his name into the NBA draft, go through the workouts, and then withdraw (no agent as well)? Is he then allowed to go to college for a freshman year? I know it should be that way, but you never know with the NCAA.

What happens if Diallo decides to put his name into the NBA draft, go through the workouts, and then withdraw (no agent as well)? Is he then allowed to go to college for a freshman year? I know it should be that way, but you never know with the NCAA.

Yes! Anywhere but SU. :)

Ben Sigel just picked Syracuse to land Diallo! Imagine Quade and Hami in the same backcourt!!!
Depending on who else we land and who comes back, we could move Hami to the 3 and have Quade and Frank as the guards. It doesn't look likely, but if Battle were to come back, we would be loaded with athletes at the guard spots, such that it would likely spill over to the 3.

Ben Sigel just picked Syracuse to land Diallo! Imagine Quade and Hami in the same backcourt!!!

That would be amazing. Also read an article on Rivals that said the same. I still feel like he's going to end up in the NBA, but still hope even if it's not Cuse, that he ends up in college somewhere. NBA basketball is such a terrible product compared to college ball. I'd prefer to see an athlete of his caliber playing in college. Those games are already so much more entertaining! Watching him try to shatter backboards in college would be even more fun!

Article also said UK would miss out on Hami, Mo, Knox, and Trae. That would be the icing!

yea imagine no shooting, give me lonnie walker please

Agreed. Not in love with Hami. Much less skilled than Walker. Dunks/Athleticism are exciting, but they don't win you games in March.

Agreed. Not in love with Hami. Much less skilled than Walker. Dunks/Athleticism are exciting, but they don't win you games in March.
Uh, Quade's a good shooter. And while I love Lonnie too and agree he's more skilled than Hami at this point, it sounds like Hami has more upside due to his freakish athleticism and developing skill set. Hami's shooting mechanics look solid too so I wouldn't discount his potential there. We'd be extremely fortunate to have Quade and Hami in our backcourt next year.

Uh, Quade's a good shooter. And while I love Lonnie too and agree he's more skilled than Hami at this point, it sounds like Hami has more upside due to his freakish athleticism and developing skill set. Hami's shooting mechanics look solid too so I wouldn't discount his potential there. We'd be extremely fortunate to have Quade and Hami in our backcourt next year.

I know Quade's a good shooter. We need more than just him.

Hami has upside, but his EYBL numbers from 3 were awful(8-48) and he sh0t 60% from the foul line as well. Personally I'm not a fan of wings that can't shoot, but to each their own.

Hami has upside, but his EYBL numbers from 3 were awful(8-48) and he sh0t 60% from the foul line as well. Personally I'm not a fan of wings that can't shoot, but to each their own.
Yikes, those numbers are bad. Maybe he can be like a super Josh Pace. I just want one of these studs to sign up for 'Cuse.

At this point I think we need to try and pick up the best players possible. It would be fantastic if we could choose between Hami and Walker but I don't think that is a luxury we will have. This is going to be a big class so we can sprinkle in some shooting guards or forwards as we go along if we are fortunate enough to get Hami and Green on board. Things are going to be a bit cobbled together any way you cut it next year so we need to get the best available players and build around their strengths AND weaknesses.

At this point I think we need to try and pick up the best players possible. It would be fantastic if we could choose between Hami and Walker but I don't think that is a luxury we will have. This is going to be a big class so we can sprinkle in some shooting guards or forwards as we go along if we are fortunate enough to get Hami and Green on board. Things are going to be a bit cobbled together any way you cut it next year so we need to get the best available players and build around their strengths AND weaknesses.
Great post.

Don't believe we have an either/or situation or really any alternative on the wing besides maybe Tucker so if we have any shot whatsoever at Hami then I am ecstatic.

UConn fans VERY optimistic that Hamidou is going to UConn, if he goes to college. An Orange fan with some UConn ties went over there to get their take, and one dude nearly bit his head off. Some level headed UConn fans challenged the Ahole, but pretty much giving anyone else no chance.

UConn fans VERY optimistic that Hamidou is going to UConn, if he goes to college. An Orange fan with some UConn ties went over there to get their take, and one dude nearly bit his head off. Some level headed UConn fans challenged the Ahole, but pretty much giving anyone else no chance.
About 3 months ago UConn thought they were a lock for Richards too - hell they thought they might get Bamba AND Richards.

Hami is at UConn often, so they might be right - but to eliminate us, UK or the NBA at this point is silly. If Hami wants to play Tulane, ECU and Tulsa he can go for it. Think the kid wants brighter lights than that IMO.

About 3 months ago UConn thought they were a lock for Richards too - hell they thought they might get Bamba AND Richards.

Hami is at UConn often, so they might be right - but to eliminate us, UK or the NBA at this point is silly. If Hami wants to play Tulane, ECU and Tulsa he can go for it. Think the kid wants brighter lights than that IMO.
He's only at UConn often because it's a 22 mile drive. He goes there to visit his friend Mamadou Diarra and play pick up. It would be like a kid from Cortland who was good friends with Matt Moyer coming to SU to play pick up during the summer. Jimmer Fredette played AAU with one of my HS friends and would come to our HS in Syracuse to play pickup on occasion.

yea imagine no shooting, give me lonnie walker please
I only saw each a handful of times in HS, but I feel that Waiters and Richardson's shots jumped two scouting grades after getting to Syracuse and I'm starting to think that Battle's may have too. Independent of that thought, I wouldn't turn down Diallo or not want him when you literally have no commits and need 5. This isn't like turning away the local kid who probably slots at the MAAC more than the ACC, this is a big time player.

I may be way offbase but i really see Ham right now as a Stevie Thompson type player with size. He shares two notable things in common imo with ST: they both can jump out of the gym and they both arent great shooters (at least Ham likely isnt quite yet). That comparison might not sound like a compliment but ST was tremendous for us, especially when he played off the ball his first 3 years. Correct me if im wrong but ST went to a FF and an elite 8 in his first 3 years; he was an integral part of some of the best offensive teams ever at SU. I think Ham could be great for us next year ( if he came here ) off the ball. I would almost rather see him play small forward at Cuse like Stevie did

Edit and i would love to see Quade and Frank throwing baseline and fastbreak alley oops to Ham they way Sherm used to throw to Stevie...

Last edited:
Hypothetical question, if Hami called tomorrow and said "I want to commit to Syracuse" do you take him. I know it seems like a no brainer, and the fact that we're recruiting him means that Boeheim would, but if you think about it, it's dangerous. It likely takes us out of the running for the rest of the top 2 guard prospects and there's no guarantee that he doesn't just head to the NBA without playing a minute at the Dome.