Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

Kentucky is a great place for guys that just have to wait a year before being eligible for the draft. If a player wants to develop, he might want to choose a school that has a history of developing players at his position. Look at the guards that went from nowhere on draft boards to first round and even lottery at SU. Johnny Flynn, MCW, Waiters, Ennis and Malachi last year. And maybe even Battle this year.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I've always been in favor of removing the one and done rule and if they go to college they have to stay for at least two seasons. But until that rule gets changed (if it ever does), kids will continue going to Kentucky where they've had players like Wall, Cousins, AD, etc.

Going along with what others have said, yes you are correct about UK: "Kentucky is known as the stepping stone between high school and the NBA for highly ranked players." But of course, those players didn't need anything to get to the league other than being one year older. I argue that "Syracuse is known as the stepping stone between high school and the NBA for mid ranked players." That is a much more valuable proposition and speaks to tangible benefits of selecting SU as your college destination.

I think for past players like CJ Fair, Kris Joseph, Onuaku etc. Syracuse was a great option for them like you said. It shows that they can develop into professional ball players after 3-4 years. But a high ranked guy such as Hami probably don't care about long term development at that college nearly as much as the short term. Don't get me wrong, I love the four year players that Syracuse grabs and develops, but all these kids want the label of being a high ranked recruit at Kentucky.

I think for past players like CJ Fair, Kris Joseph, Onuaku etc. Syracuse was a great option for them like you said. It shows that they can develop into professional ball players after 3-4 years. But a high ranked guy such as Hami probably don't care about long term development at that college nearly as much as the short term. Don't get me wrong, I love the four year players that Syracuse grabs and develops, but all these kids want the label of being a high ranked recruit at Kentucky.

I mean more the Ennis, Richardson, Waiters, Grant level guys. 1 or 2 year guys at Syracuse that were on nobodies list of 1 or 2 year guys when they got here.

Hami is either going to the NBA (70% chance - my guess) or coming to UK or Syracuse. I'd like to think that if the kid decides to delay the NBA, that Syracuse has just as good a chance as UK.

Hami has stated he'd like to play with Quade. Hami is a NY kid. Hami could develop his outside shot for a year, and contend for a National Championship at SU. Syracuse will have a blend of youth and maturity, often needed to make a meaningful run in the tournament. This is, in my opinion, the reason Kentucky struggles going all the way. They're ALWAYS young, and lack leadership.

Have I sold you, Hami?

Difficult, in my opinion, to discount UCONN. That kid is on their campus 6 times a week. Obvious he has a strong connection there outside of being local. If a kid were on Syracuse campus as often as this kid is visiting UCONN we would all be spiking the football already - I would not mock us for doing so just as I will not mock them for doing so in this situation. NBA is most likely IMO - if not, UCONN has to be the favorite. Kentucky also is ahead of us in my estimation. Hope he's orange, not expecting him to be.

Please refer to the forum rules and regulations for posting, Section 6 Article 47: Banned Words and Terms;

783: Vacated
784: Villanueva
785: Wheelhouse
786: Whitehead
787: YMCA
Can we get the word, "ThickBurger" add to the list?

Difficult, in my opinion, to discount UCONN. That kid is on their campus 6 times a week. Obvious he has a strong connection there outside of being local. If a kid were on Syracuse campus as often as this kid is visiting UCONN we would all be spiking the football already - I would not mock us for doing so just as I will not mock them for doing so in this situation. NBA is most likely IMO - if not, UCONN has to be the favorite. Kentucky also is ahead of us in my estimation. Hope he's orange, not expecting him to be.

But in their case, being on their campus so much only highlights how bad they suck, so I think it works in our favor. I mean it's not like he is the guy who gets to tape the mic to Ollie's face, ya know?

I don't disagree with anything you said. I've always been in favor of removing the one and done rule and if they go to college they have to stay for at least two seasons. But until that rule gets changed (if it ever does), kids will continue going to Kentucky where they've had players like Wall, Cousins, AD, etc.
I would love that rule as well. Guys like Wall, Cousins, Anthony Davis and quite a few more are fine going to UK, because they don't have any particular skill they NEED to develop to make it to the NBA. Guys like Hami, that needs to develop his jump shot, needs a school that can help him develop. Unfortunately, and hopefully fortunately for us, the NBA is a shooters league now. He probably would have been drafter very high about 10 years ago, but now your wings have to be knock down shooters. I think he can develop this skill, but it takes time and proper coaching, two things most players aren't given at UK. Cal wants you in and out, because that perpetuates the narrative of "they get their guys to the league".

I don't see him or any other top25 kid going there when they cannot beat Wagner and Northeastern since it means no meaningful post season play. They have what 3/4 good non-conference games a season then 3/4 decent conference games. Thats simply not enough quality games IMO.

But in their case, being on their campus so much only highlights how bad they suck, so I think it works in our favor. I mean it's not like he is the guy who gets to tape the mic to Ollie's face, ya know?

He has a close friend on the team, clearly has a good relationship with their coaching staff, and is on their campus constantly. Even if you and I would be sick at the thought of that, clearly he isn't. I can't be convinced he isn't a heavy lean there without at least some evidence that suggests that he isn't a heavy lean there.

I don't see him or any other top25 kid going there when they cannot beat Wagner and Northeastern since it means no meaningful post season play. They have what 3/4 good non-conference games a season then 3/4 decent conference games. Thats simply not enough quality games IMO.

I hear you, but he could be on a college campus right now playing if he wanted to be. He is staying in high school to play high school competition for what purpose then? Many would rightfully argue to preserve the option to go directly to the pros. If that is the thought running through his mind, he clearly doesn't believe he needs massive exposure or competition to be ready for the bigs. So what does he care if UCONN is not good.

To be clear, I think we have a fine chance to land him - especially if playing with Quade is of interest to him. We also had a fine chance to land Brandon Randolph and that didn't happen. I hope he is Cuse bound, but, I don't believe we are leaders in his recruitment, everything points to UCONN being the leader here. Doesn't mean we cant or wont land him, but, it should be viewed more as a nice surprise than an expectation.

I hear you, but he could be on a college campus right now playing if he wanted to be. He is staying in high school to play high school competition for what purpose then? Many would rightfully argue to preserve the option to go directly to the pros. If that is the thought running through his mind, he clearly doesn't believe he needs massive exposure or competition to be ready for the bigs. So what does he care if UCONN is not good.

He's doing it to go to the NBA IMO. If he gets bad returns on his stock he will go to SU or UK. You think if SU's campus was as close to him as UConn's he wouldn't be there playing pickup ball as well. He's been to SU a bunch because he also has friends there. What you are seeing is proximity. I don't believe it has much to do with his college choice.

We can agree to disagree though as I am aware that I could be completely wrong on this. Its just the way I see it.

Francis03 said:
Seems like about 30 or more NBA reps are going to check out Hami this weekend. You guys better hope that he shoots bricks similar to Ron Patterson this season.

Time for some Sabotage. If I weren't on my phone, I would attach the video and blast it. Can anyone help me out?

Kentucky is a great place for guys that just have to wait a year before being eligible for the draft. If a player wants to develop, he might want to choose a school that has a history of developing players at his position. Look at the guards that went from nowhere on draft boards to first round and even lottery at SU. Johnny Flynn, MCW, Waiters, Ennis and Malachi last year. And maybe even Battle this year.

ABSOLUTELY! Syracuse has turned 4 star guys - not just top 10 prospects - into first round picks for about 8 of the last 10 years. We develop talent, in terms of how much they rise, better than Kentucky or Duke. Those schools get the finished article and try not to mess them up. We teach kids how to play as a good teammate. There are a lot of positives to the approach of our program. That's why we keep getting kids drafted so high.

FWIW ESPN has an insider article predicting him, Tucker and Green all will sign with 'Cuse. Mix that in with that we got= a monster class.
With Jake saying green is going to UK I would have to think it would lose us all three. What a nut punch.

UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FWIW ESPN has an insider article predicting him, Tucker and Green all will sign with 'Cuse. Mix that in with that we got= a monster class.

Now that would be news but its not as unrealistic as many think.

With Jake saying green is going to UK I would have to think it would lose us all three. What a nut punch.

Jake said that? I thought he indicated that Kentucky was stepping up their effort? Nothing definitive.

Jake said that? I thought he indicated that Kentucky was stepping up their effort? Nothing definitive.
He indicated his sources believe the choice was likely UK but he could still be wrong.