Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

Guys - for those who didn't follow the Diallo saga - this is LITERALLY the same story we had with Quade. The whole situation is eerily similar.
Cuz Quade guaranteed Diallo dimes.

Take that any way you like per Urban Dictionary. But I love the third definition of #3.

Urban Dictionary: dime

Yes 4 FF's, 1 title (and 1 runner-up), 3 conference tournament titles and 3 conference regular season titles all in the last 6 years is certainly "underperforming". Oh and in the same time span he's had 38-2 and 38-1 season; both of which they went undefeated in the SEC. You could make a strong argument that if it wasnt' for Storz, Cal would have 2 more titles.

Saying the Calipari has underperformed is one of the weirdest hang-up's people have. Winning a single elimination tournament is very difficult, especially when you have new players every year - the randomness of what can happen in a single game makes it really, really hard to win championships consistently.

Calipari has not underachieved, not even close.

If you were a UK fan it would get old? Really?

No clue what some people are talking about

Yes 4 FF's, 1 title (and 1 runner-up), 3 conference tournament titles and 3 conference regular season titles all in the last 6 years is certainly "underperforming". Oh and in the same time span he's had 38-2 and 38-1 season; both of which they went undefeated in the SEC. You could make a strong argument that if it wasnt' for Storz, Cal would have 2 more titles.

Saying the Calipari has underperformed is one of the weirdest hang-up's people have. Winning a single elimination tournament is very difficult, especially when you have new players every year - the randomness of what can happen in a single game makes it really, really hard to win championships consistently.

Compared to the amount of NBA talent they have in any given season?!?

Yes. Underperforming.

SEC conference titles are nothing to brag about. We might have that many in that conference.

The randomness of the one-and-done system is what he's signed up for. That's his doing. He could build it by grabbing some foundational guys 2-3 year players along side his one-and-dones.

We've had 2 FF in two years in a much harder conference with less talent. As a fan, I prefer where we sit x 1000 compared to them.

Have you ever played a season on a video game on easy with made-up players? Is that rewarding? Fun? Does it get old?

That's my point. It would be fun for a year or two, but running roughshod over a mediocre conference with NBA players is lame.

I don't hate his system and I'm sure the UK fans are fine, because yes, they are a title contender each year, which in itself would be entertaining. I don't care how hard anyone thinks winning a single elimination tournament is, when you have superior talent to every team you play, unless you match up against Duke, you have an advantage.

What I like though, is when we have players that stick around and really contribute long term. I mean outside of Carmelo, because he got us the title, what other one-and-done player has been anyone's favorite Cuse player? It's exciting to watch these kids grow and become better players over multiple years! I'm not sure I would enjoy watching a completely new roster each and every year. I'll be honest, I completely forget that players like Greene and McCullough were even Orange players!

Would it be nice to have some top flight talent and be contenders year in year out, absolutely, and I agree with some above, that there is no way UK fans are bored with that! We are just not at their level of recruiting, and looking at our numbers we've done rather well with a different system. Me personally...I like having players that stick around!

On a side note, anyone else get a little irritated when JB said in the presser argument, that their goal is Final Fours? Final Fours are great, but shouldn't the goal be Championships!!!!!

But JDubbs, you're comparing UK's performance to other legit. programs .. (schools with actual classes that are not D-League pass-throughs). That's not a fair comparison. UK's recruiting is incomparable. I mean, every year they get ALL or nearly all of the nation's top players. It's an annual all-star lineup. So yes, they've done well, as your numbers show. But have the the results matched their unbelievable, miraculous (and shady) recruiting? Not even close. By that standard, they should have a ship every year.

Last edited:

You have valid points about the NCAAT performance. You could leave out the conference accolades, though. UK and KU don't play in real conferences. The Big 12 has a team or two that try once in a while but the SEC is a joke.

Compared to the amount of NBA talent they have in any given season?!?

Yes. Underperforming.

SEC conference titles are nothing to brag about. We might have that many in that conference.

The randomness of the one-and-done system is what he's signed up for. That's his doing. He could build it by grabbing some foundational guys 2-3 year players along side his one-and-dones.

We've had 2 FF in two years in a much harder conference with less talent. As a fan, I prefer where we sit x 1000 compared to them.

Have you ever played a season on a video game on easy with made-up players? Is that rewarding? Fun? Does it get old?

That's my point. It would be fun for a year or two, but running roughshod over a mediocre conference with NBA players is lame.
I was more talking about the randomness of the tournament itself. We've seen it ourself - if a guy likes Tony Crocker gets hot, you go home.

Once the Tournament starts, conference affiliation doesn't matter - and Calipari has 4 FF's and 1 title in the last 6 years. It doesn't matter who came from the harder conference - ask VCU and Butler. Everyone is 0-0. Ask Duke about Lehigh. Ask Missouri about Norfolk State.

You are right about that. I loved seeing Fair, Triche, Roberson, etc for 4 years - I believe that's what makes college basketball special.

I loved getting someone like Lydon who flew under the radar, but it stinks missin on guys like Ron Patterson and Kaleb Joseph. Perhaps that's what makes getting a guy like Lydon even better.

Let me ask you this - would you have taken Quade Green, Hami and Nick Richards next year? Of course you would. Calipari gets whoever he wants every year and UK is a perennial title threat every single year - whoever wouldn't sign up for that is crazy. I get he's slimy, and I get that he's a used carsalesmen, but let's not act like UK hasn't been impressive since he's gotten there.

I want to win titles. Stories like Brandon Triche and DaJuan Coleman are nice - but if you'd rather have a good story than be in the Final Four every year, I don't know what to tell you. People act like we'd turn down having 6 5*'s come here if they wanted.

But JDubbs, you're comparing UK's performance to other legit. programs .. (schools with actual classes that are not D-League pass-throughs). That's not a fair comparison. UK's recruiting is incomparable. I mean, every year they get ALL or nearly all of the nation's top players. It's an annual all-star lineup. So yes, they've done well, as your numbers show. But have the the results matched their unbelievable, miraculous (and shady) recruiting? Not even close. By that standard, they should have a ship every year.
How often does the best team win the National Title? The #1 overall seed?

If you make it to FF weekend, anything can happen. Calipari has gotten UK to that spot 4 of the last 6 years.

I was more talking about the randomness of the tournament itself. We've seen it ourself - if a guy likes Tony Crocker gets hot, you go home.

Once the Tournament starts, conference affiliation doesn't matter - and Calipari has 4 FF's and 1 title in the last 6 years. It doesn't matter who came from the harder conference - ask VCU and Butler. Everyone is 0-0. Ask Duke about Lehigh. Ask Missouri about Norfolk State.

You are right about that. I loved seeing Fair, Triche, Roberson, etc for 4 years - I believe that's what makes college basketball special.

I loved getting someone like Lydon who flew under the radar, but it stinks missin on guys like Ron Patterson and Kaleb Joseph. Perhaps that's what makes getting a guy like Lydon even better.

Let me ask you this - would you have taken Quade Green, Hami and Nick Richards next year? Of course you would. Calipari gets whoever he wants every year and UK is a perennial title threat every single year - whoever wouldn't sign up for that is crazy. I get he's slimy, and I get that he's a used carsalesmen, but let's not act like UK hasn't been impressive since he's gotten there.

I want to win titles. Stories like Brandon Triche and DaJuan Coleman are nice - but if you'd rather have a good story than be in the Final Four every year, I don't know what to tell you. People act like we'd turn down having 6 5*'s come here if they wanted.
Well said. Your arguments here have been well laid out.

How often does the best team win the National Title? The #1 overall seed?

If you make it to FF weekend, anything can happen. Calipari has gotten UK to that spot 4 of the last 6 years.
With all the talent they've had it would take an absolute moron as a coach not to reach the ff. You could basically send the guys out there without a coach and they would make the tournament. Although a one game elimination tournament is a terrible way to tell who the best overall team is I think Cal's record would be even worse if he had to play most major programs in a 7 game series. His record against teams with comparable talent is terrible. Look at their game against UCLA this year or the undefeated team against Wisconsin. Cal can't coach he can recruit unlike anyone in the country but in terms of coaching he's mid major at best.

Still gonna be very surprised if he even plays one minute of college ball.

With all the talent they've had it would take an absolute moron as a coach not to reach the ff. You could basically send the guys out there without a coach and they would make the tournament. Although a one game elimination tournament is a terrible way to tell who the best overall team is I think Cal's record would be even worse if he had to play most major programs in a 7 game series. His record against teams with comparable talent is terrible. Look at their game against UCLA this year or the undefeated team against Wisconsin. Cal can't coach he can recruit unlike anyone in the country but in terms of coaching he's mid major at best.

He's 230-49 at Kentucky, that's a .824 winning percentage.

He's 230-49 at Kentucky, that's a .824 winning percentage.

He has had the #1 recruiting class for the 10 years, he should be at .900. Yes, I know I am exaggerating on the 10 years in a row.

He has had the #1 recruiting class for the 10 years, he should be at .900. Yes, I know I am exaggerating on the 10 years in a row.

I agree with you, that need to produce results because of the recruits that they get.

But I think they are producing the results. There's even a bad NIT year included in that record which skews it a little, but regardless it's not bad or frustrating to be a UK fan.

I agree with you, that need to produce results because of the recruits that they get.

But I think they are producing the results. There's even a bad NIT year included in that record which skews it a little, but regardless it's not bad or frustrating to be a UK fan.
Yeah, other than a lack of ships with the talent they have, I can't imagine they are all that tired of being really good every year!

He can coach and he is a very good motivator. You want to play UK in a 7 game series?! Hell no. The way to get them is single elimination. They would breeze through a setting such as the NBA Playoffs done in college, imo.

That's a false choice though. My point isn't that I don't want the best players. I just want the best players, in the best conference, coached by a guy who has proven he can do more with less.

I'm not against one and dones. I'm just thinking that it must get old beating up on a weak P5 conference with an NBA roster and have only 1 title.

But "Madden on easy" boring is an option, right?

As predicted!

Doesn't Cal encourage all his players to do this? Not sure he'll shoot well, unless his jumper has really improved, but his measurables will make it interesting.