Class of 2015 - G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky

With Murray, it's not so much being late to the party. We've been on him for a long, long time. But we're just waiting to find out what happens with Kid Mamba, and by the time he decides, Murray may have already moved on.

We've been on him as far as evaluating and watching here and there but not as far as actively recruiting. We haven't been saying hey Battle is our #1 option but we'd love to have you as well, to my knowledge. We haven't been trying to line him up as a backup plan, that I know of ether. More or less we simply have not been recruiting him.

We've been on him as far as evaluating and watching here and there but not as far as actively recruiting. We haven't been saying hey Battle is our #1 option but we'd love to have you as well, to my knowledge. We haven't been trying to line him up as a backup plan, that I know of ether. More or less we simply have not been recruiting him.
Yeah, agreed. That's basically what I was trying to convey, but you said it better than I did.

Way I see is at the very worst, we have one schollie available for 2016. If we lose out on both Battle and Murray, come on man!
:eek:couchburncouchburncouchburn:eek:
And of course, there' always :vomit:

I hear you. Offer both, tell them you are. First commit gets immediately available spot second commit gets very likely available spot. You'd think one would commit shortly after that. I'd try to sell them on playing together! If they were both committed would Kaleb be back? Will Mal leave early? Will we get ships back? Very likely we have a 3 player class in 16 possibly 4.

Last edited:

To me this is a sign of sheer confidence that Battle will commit or sheer stupidity, I'm not sure which...or maybe both? Oh Lord

trust and appreciate the info/insight you guys bring, but... you are all but saying JB and staff don't know what they're doing. Call me naive or blinded by orange, but I know that is not the case. There is a reason they're not actively recruiting Murray.

To me this is a sign of sheer confidence that Battle will commit or sheer stupidity, I'm not sure which...or maybe both? Oh Lord

I believe its confidence. I really am not too worried about Battle at this point. I think we get an official visit at some point soon probably after the other couple he set up. If he does not commit on that visit then its likely time to worry IMO. Will Murray still be available at that point? Who knows but again even if Battle is choice #1 why can't we simply tell Murray that and tell him if Battle goes through with the visit and doesn't verbal we will offer you at that point because we love your game just as much but we are trying to be loyal to a kid we have been recruiting for years.

trust and appreciate the info/insight you guys bring, but... you are all but saying JB and staff don't know what they're doing. Call me naive or blinded by orange, but I know that is not the case. There is a reason they're not actively recruiting Murray.

I don't think people are saying that I think people generally don't like the all your eggs in one basket style. You can understand something and still not like it and no matter how it turns out it doesn't necessarily make you right or wrong. I'd also add that there is a contingent on this board who has always been as high on Murray or even higher on Murray than they are with Battle. Its not so much an option A or option B thing for some. Some feel that Murray will be a better college player out of the gate than Battle although most likely feel that Battle is the better NBA prospect. With Murray expressing interest and them both being great guards its hard for some to understand. I agree that the staff likely feels that Battle will commit to SU though.

I don't think people are saying that I think people generally don't like the all your eggs in one basket style. You can understand something and still not like it and no matter how it turns out it doesn't necessarily make you right or wrong. I'd also add that there is a contingent on this board who has always been as high on Murray or even higher on Murray than they are with Battle. Its not so much an option A or option B thing for some. Some feel that Murray will be a better college player out of the gate than Battle although most likely feel that Battle is the better NBA prospect. With Murray expressing interest and them both being great guards its hard for some to understand. I agree that the staff likely feels that Battle will commit to SU though.
Right, and that's all well and good. But the anger/frustration being expressed implies one/some/all of the following:

- JB/staff aren't able to see how good Murray is and simply aren't recruiting him due to that inability.
- JB/staff aren't aware that Murray has expressed interest in SU.
- JB/staff don't want the best possible team they can put together.
- JB/staff don't have contingencies ready to go if Battle goes elsewhere.

I mean, think about it.

Right, and that's all well and good. But the anger/frustration being expressed implies one/some/all of the following:

- JB/staff aren't able to see how good Murray is and simply aren't recruiting him due to that inability.
- JB/staff aren't aware that Murray has expressed interest in SU.
- JB/staff don't want the best possible team they can put together.
- JB/staff don't have contingencies ready to go if Battle goes elsewhere.

I mean, think about it.

It doesn't mean any of those unless someone specifically expresses that. It means you are interpreting it as meaning those things.
1JB/staff surely know how good Murray is. They seem have Battle rated higher.
2JB/staff are surely aware that Murray is interested.
3JB/staff are always trying to put the best team together while weighing many pross and cons we likely do not know about.
4JB/staff probably have contingencies (Carr) but many would prefer Murray be that contingency or he be pursued outright to avoid needing any contingency and instead have the luxury of trying to land both Murray and Battle.

It doesn't mean any of those unless someone specifically expresses that. It means you are interpreting it as meaning those things.
1JB/staff surely know how good Murray is. They seem have Battle rated higher.
2JB/staff are surely aware that Murray is interested.
3JB/staff are always trying to put the best team together while weighing many pross and cons we likely do not know about.
4JB/staff probably have contingencies (Carr) but many would prefer Murray be that contingency or he be pursued outright to avoid needing any contingency and instead have the luxury of trying to land both Murray and Battle.
Perhaps those answers are crystal clear to you, but seemingly not to those on here angrily questioning how/why the staff isn't recruiting him.
and, see, #4 is the rub. You/others are implying that the staff don't really know what they're doing in regard to the contingency situation—and then it just circles back to the first 3 points regarding Murray (i.e., they don't realize how good he is or what kind of priority he should be). Of course it's your right, on a message board, to discuss and opine about these things. I just find it interesting that people are questioning the acumen/judgement of guys who've been doing this for decades.

Perhaps those answers are crystal clear to you, but seemingly not to those on here angrily questioning how/why the staff isn't recruiting him.
and, see, #4 is the rub. You/others are implying that the staff don't really know what they're doing in regard to the contingency situation—and then it just circles back to the first 3 points regarding Murray (i.e., they don't realize how good he is or what kind of priority he should be). Of course it's your right, on a message board, to discuss and opine about these things. I just find it interesting that people are questioning the acumen/judgement of guys who've been doing this for decades.

Even the best make mistakes. JB will tell you that. Recruiting is not an exact science. Yes I most certainly am questioning if it is a mistake not to pursue Murray. I think the staff does a great job with recruiting but that doesn't mean there aren't some head scratcher's from time to time. It doesn't mean they are infallible and of course it doesn't mean they always get the straight sheet from the recruits/families so things can fall through and not necessarily be their fault. Overall I'm happy with our recruiting but even the staff tinkers and adjusts. Look at the 15 class and see it clearly is addressing lack of ball skills specifically shooting. This is an adjustment of sorts. I'm not trying to bash JB or the staff I'm simply questioning the decision not to pursue Murray and yes I admit he's a kid that's on my wishlist.

Even the best make mistakes. JB will tell you that. Recruiting is not an exact science. Yes I most certainly am questioning if it is a mistake not to pursue Murray. I think the staff does a great job with recruiting but that doesn't mean there aren't some head scratcher's from time to time. It doesn't mean they are infallible and of course it doesn't mean they always get the straight sheet from the recruits/families so things can fall through and not necessarily be their fault. Overall I'm happy with our recruiting but even the staff tinkers and adjusts. Look at the 15 class and see it clearly is addressing lack of ball skills specifically shooting. This is an adjustment of sorts. I'm not trying to bash JB or the staff I'm simply questioning the decision not to pursue Murray and yes I admit he's a kid that's on my wishlist.
and you know I luv ya, jordoo! :D

jordoo said:
It just seems so very odd to me that the staff is just overlooking Murray here. They know what they're doing.

@AdamZagoria: Report: Calipari May Visit Thon Maker, Jamal Murray This Weekend http://t.co/WtfdAyxoAp
635637891816537079-19-NCAA2.jpg

With Murray, it's not so much being late to the party. We've been on him for a long, long time. But we're just waiting to find out what happens with Kid Mamba, and by the time he decides, Murray may have already moved on.
A bird in the hand... I need to trim my bush.

I respect the kid even more now that I know he shunned that crap for so long at his age!

Don't know if he knew about the fake account, but when people are trolling others at your expense things needed to be dealt with accordingly.