Class of 2015 - G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Jamal Murray (ON) Verballed to Kentucky

"Syracuse just called again" so we are now involved with Murray or at least trying to be. I'll be very interested to see if we get an official visit from Battle soon.

Wondering if we take him for the 15 class? He's an older kid don't see him staying in 16 especially now after blowing up on the national stage. Has the University filed an appeal? I haven't heard or seen anything about it if they have done so.

JBs recent recruiting is certainly open to debate.
I don't get that. What point are you debating, getting the studs in here or evaluating players?

The Fab, Xmas, DC2 center run was unprecedented for SU and unfortunately followed up by a slight hiccup in not getting Bryant.

The Dion, MCW, Ennis run was excellent, only missed with a slow start from KJ2.

Now it's looking like the staff is starting to turn up the heat on Battle with the old first to commit gamut with Battle, Murray, and Simmons. First man in is the stud guard. And the "Syracuse called again" comment seemed to contradict those annoyed with SU's lack of involvement. The smart money is on SU to get one of those three. Patience.

What is the problem again?

yeah top5 classes suck
ok, last x years, no shooters. last year no pg. this yr no point gaurd no center. he recruits for the zone d. no offense. last years soph class is a bust.

If we can make it another couple of days without a commit to Duke or L'ville than that is a good sign for us.
I believe Battle also has a visit scheduled to Michigan in early May so I doubt he commits to Duke, UL or anyone until he completes all his visits.

ok, last x years, no shooters. last year no pg. this yr no point gaurd no center. he recruits for the zone d. no offense. last years soph class is a bust.

Last year, we landed Ennis--our top point guard prospect we were after. That MCW blew up and left after a final four run the preceding year wasn't entirely expected--or last year's backcourt depth would have been fine.

This year, we also recruited a point guard [Joseph]--again, the hand picked guy that the staff wanted over two other highly rated prospects that were both interested in coming here. That Joseph wasn't entirely ready to contribute at a high level is unfortunate, but would have been mitigated if Ennis hadn't departed a year ahead of when the coaching staff expected him to.

We've recruited shooters. Guys like Southerland, Cooney, Gbinije, Ennis, etc. and more recently Joseph, BJ, and Patterson. I will certainly grant you that not all of these players end up shooting as well as the coaching staff hoped [Patterson in particular was congenitally incapable of hitting from three it seemed like, and you can certainly make the same argument about Cooney's efficiency]--but claiming that we haven't recruited guys who are shooters isn't true.

Re: centers--in recent years, we brought in three McDonald's All American centers in three consecutive classes. Generally speaking, it is difficult to stockpile several players at the same positions because most of these guys want to start and play immediately, not sit [unless you UK or Duke, where guys line up to play]. You can't just magically land anyone you want at any given position--the depth chart is generally a factor for most teams.

The sophomore class had Ennis and Roberson, who is now an established starter. The class isn't a "bust," even though some posters would like to pretend that it is. Outside of those two, we didn't get much production from BJ / Patterson, and Obokoh just completed his first year of playing--so his story is still being written. But one guy being a first round pick and another shaping up as a quality three year starter doesn't = "bust."

I guess when we lose to Dayton cause no one can make a basket and we are 147th in point production I can't get excited about all the highly rated players we recruited will recruit.. I'm not too cxonfident about next year either. But I would love to be wrong. I'm just not a glass half full type when it comes to SU basketball. Maybe its a self protection mechanism.

Would love to get a commitment from someone sooner than later

And call me crazy, but uconn's team is shaping up to look pretty decent for next year. Didn't realize they got the Cornell kid

Francis what is the deal here? Have we not offered this kid because we think he will accept and we want Battle? I think Battle ends up picking Duke in the end. Have we burnt the bridge here? Is it too late at this point? Seems like we are targeting different PG's than just getting Murray. Seems strange.

On paper, I really like our recruiting, but the problem is that actual player production does not live up to recruiting, at least in the first year. I see numerous 4 and 5 star freshmen at other schools contributing, year after year, during the season and well into the NCAA but not at SU. Of the players you mention, as freshmen; Ennis was great, Dion was OK. MCW and Melo were busts but fab as sophomores, as was Rak's senior year. DCII struggled as a soph before his injury. When was the last time we had a freshman 4* play big, CJ Fair? Shouldn't we expect at least half of our 5*s to be good as freshmen? I don't know why our recruiting doesn't correlate better with performance. Maybe just a statistical flunk, but I'm not a fan of JB's quick hook with younger players because I think it affects their confidence, expecially with scoring.

The lack of outside shooting and scoring in general is another problem which might, or might not, be related to recruiting. I think the staff has recognized this and made an adjustment with the 2015 class, which I like and have high hopes for.

I don't get that. What point are you debating, getting the studs in here or evaluating players?

The Fab, Xmas, DC2 center run was unprecedented for SU and unfortunately followed up by a slight hiccup in not getting Bryant.

The Dion, MCW, Ennis run was excellent, only missed with a slow start from KJ2.

Now it's looking like the staff is starting to turn up the heat on Battle with the old first to commit gamut with Battle, Murray, and Simmons. First man in is the stud guard. And the "Syracuse called again" comment seemed to contradict those annoyed with SU's lack of involvement. The smart money is on SU to get one of those three. Patience.

What is the problem again?

On paper, I really like our recruiting, but the problem is that actual player production does not live up to recruiting, at least in the first year. I see numerous 4 and 5 star freshmen at other schools contributing, year after year, during the season and well into the NCAA but not at SU. Of the players you mention, as freshmen; Ennis was great, Dion was OK. MCW and Melo were busts but fab as sophomores, as was Rak's senior year. DCII struggled as a soph before his injury. When was the last time we had a freshman 4* play big, CJ Fair? Shouldn't we expect at least half of our 5*s to be good as freshmen? I don't know why our recruiting doesn't correlate better with performance. Maybe just a statistical flunk, but I'm not a fan of JB's quick hook with younger players because I think it affects their confidence, expecially with scoring.

The lack of outside shooting and scoring in general is another problem which might, or might not, be related to recruiting. I think the staff has recognized this and made an adjustment with the 2015 class, which I like and have high hopes for.

Please tell me you didnt just group freshman MCW with freshman Melo. Please.

Not even close.

We just had a one of the top PGs in the country as a freshman two seasons ago...

Francis what is the deal here? Have we not offered this kid because we think he will accept and we want Battle? I think Battle ends up picking Duke in the end. Have we burnt the bridge here? Is it too late at this point? Seems like we are targeting different PG's than just getting Murray. Seems strange.
I'm just as puzzled like everybody else on why Murray hasn't been offered to the point that I've sounded like a broken record. I don't think any bridges has been burnt if the player continues to list SU and pops says the staff has reached out recently.

I'm just as puzzled like everybody else on why Murray hasn't been offered to the point that I've sounded like a broken record. I don't think any bridges has been burnt if the player continues to list SU and pops says the staff has reached out recently.

This has been the most perplexing recruitment I could ever remember. It has been strange for months.

It is just strange that they would reach out to other PG's. I am so confused I usually have a good feel on things. My guess is they want Battle to commit and are reaching out to others to put pressure on Battle? If they wanted a commitment then they would just offer out or Murray. I am with you totally confused on this whole picture.

Which way did I miss it: 9.9 min 2.3 ppg Melo or 10.7 min 2.7 ppg MCW?

Please tell me you didnt just group freshman MCW with freshman Melo. Please.

Not even close.

Yes, Ennis, as I mentioned. Does this mean you are satisfied with 1.5 out of 6 five star recruits performing well as a freshman?

We just had a one of the top PGs in the country as a freshman two seasons ago...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom